PDA

View Full Version : rainy day loads

charlie cleveland
03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
has been a cool wet miserable day here....decided to work on a few odd hulls laying around the house...first loaded up some of the old remington paper hulls in the long range load...the orginal loads were 4 1 11/2 no 4 i reloaded backto original specs except used no 6 shot...should be a good turkey load... also loaded some 3 inch rem...plastic hulls shot a few of them and seem to be on par with factoty loads... all said and done the day was not a total loss even watched a baseball game.... charlie

Keith Parrish
03-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm fixing up an old MEC 650 12 ga reloader and have just made the final adjustments to it now I'm off to find some reasonable priced supplies. I have reloaded in the past like 20 years ago and when I found this thing in an old barn where I live I had to give it a try. Boy was it a mess when I found it. My father in law saw the before and after and said yesterday that I should have just bought an new MEC cause he thinks I bought all new parts... AMAZING WHAT SOME MOTHERS MAG POLISH AND TIME WILL DO TO OLD METAL. Thing looks great. I plan to give roll crimping a try after I get the fold crimping down pat.

Would you have any suggestions where or what supplies are the best for the buck? I live in central CA and there aren't many shops around so I have been looking to buy in bulk online. Midway has 50 pounds for $95.99 free shipping that is the best I have found.

charlie cleveland
03-30-2011, 09:57 PM
ballisitic supplies and precision reloading are a couple good places that i like...they have a good selection from the mighty 8 ga down to the 410...nothing cheap anymore.... hope you enjoy reloading as much as us other fellas.... charlie

Keith Parrish
03-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm already enjoying it just cleaning up the MEC and learning what I can. I believe I have found the best place in all of the internet for help here at Parker Guns. THANKS.

I am going to the local public range to see what pickings of spent hulls I can find I'm going to do my best to search for Winchester or Rem's. I'm nervous to purchase when I can get for free (saving a few bucks).

I will look at those sites for pricing. I need to get a decent recipe for my first timers. Any advice???

charlie cleveland
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
lymans reloading manuel will be one of the better buys you can make...has about any loading a person should need...everthing in there exceptthe short 10 ga load... a very good shotgun book for reloading in my opinion..and from time to time the fellas here will give there favorite loadings...make notes and put in a file for later this is what i do espically the short 10 ga loads they are hard to find.... hope you find a lot of hulls most of us fellas are on a budget too... charlie

Paul Harm
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Most everyone at my club likes the Remington hulls because it doesn't matter what one you use - they all load the same. Gun Club in green or black, Nitro, or STS - the same load data and the same settings on your Mec. We're lucky, where we get our clays from is where our reloading supplies come from at dealer cost. Saves us big time. Paul

Dave Suponski
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I agree with Mr. Forge. I use all different kinds of Remington 12 gauge hull's. My guns digest them just fine.

charlie cleveland
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
also watch gunbroker auction site a few bargains turn up from time to time...no bargains in lead shot any more price of lead has gone up a lot.... charlie

Paul Harm
04-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't really see any difference in loading the short or regular shells. If useing paper wads one can just use a little less cushion wad. My one Parker 10ga has 2 5/8" chambers. I use the same load data for 2 3/4" or 2 7/8". I've loaded 2, 2 1/4, and 2 1/2" 12ga shells just for fun. We shoot 3 days a week at the club, with the wife and myself [ and at times the daughter and granddaughter] useing 4 boxes a night, that figgers out to 24 boxes a week. For that reason I'm down to 3/4oz in 12ga. Doesn't seem to make any difference other than the pattern is a little tighter, less recoil, and a lot cheap than 1oz to load. Paul

charlie cleveland
04-03-2011, 08:52 AM
woke up at three this morning could not slleep for ham..decided to just get up and do something...decided to reload shells for a while all my stuff was still on the kitchen table wasnt long till i had rolled out me a box of turkey ammo in 12 ga..then i reloaded a few 410 loads then a couple 10 ga loads...got all of my odd shells loaded up just need something to shoot at...daylight finally arrived i went out and blasted couple cardboard turkeys..neighbors problably thought i got me one... will try the new loads out this week if i get to use them on the real thing.. arnt us guys lucky when we cant sleep dont lay there tossing and turning...justthink about all the crow fodder you could be making... only bad thing wife woke up i think she thinks i mite be a little dingy... but i know better.... charlie