PDA

View Full Version : Who was Wentz Parker?

Bill Dwyer
03-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I picked up an old musket that looks like it could have been owned by Daniel Boone. It has a beautiful full length Tiger stripe stock. It is very early percussion. It has US stamped on it and several other proof marks that I don't know what they mean. It has rifle sights but what looks like a shotgun barrel? It has beautiful polished brass crutiments. The locks say Wentz Parker warranted. The story that I got with this weapon was that it was a proto type made for the military. It converted it to percussion . One of the first percussion weapons? Who knows. It certainly is a beautiful classical piece. The story also goes that Went Parker was one of the early "Parker Bros" Who knows. Any help appreciated.

Dean Romig
03-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Can you post some pictures so we can all enjoy it and possibly offer some information?

Bill Dwyer
03-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Can you post some pictures so we can all enjoy it and possibly offer some information?

Sure: I just took some. The weapon stands 57 inches tall. It has rifle sights. The bore measures just about 3/4" inside diameter. I got to figure how to post them? Cheers!

Dean Romig
03-29-2011, 09:41 PM
We have a picture posting tutorial link on our home page.

Bill Dwyer
03-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Go to my albums and see it!

Dean Romig
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
It looks to me like it says "Henry Parker" on the side plate.

Bill Dwyer
03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
You are absolutely right! It goes better with the srory That I was told about how this weapon was one of the first conversions for the government from open ignition to percussion. Who was Henry Parker? Thanks, Bill

Dean Romig
03-30-2011, 05:55 AM
Henry Parker was not a gun maker but was a lock maker in Trenton NJ and died in 1860.
I just learned this by going to GOOGLE and typing in "henry parker gun maker".

calvin humburg
03-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Well I wonder if it was a conversion when did cap lock get common. neet gun! can you see a name on barrel

Bill Dwyer
03-30-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't see a name. I see US and other proof marks. They used Flint locks until the 1830's
Then they converted many of them to percussion. I am told by the former owner that this was one of the first government conversions? Anyway it is a beautiful work of art. It belongs in a museum. IT has been in a glass case hanging on a wall for the last twenty five years. the condition is remarkable. Lockmakers made sidelocks for weapons Thanks for all your help!

Dean Romig
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Just happened to find another Henry Parker gun on gunbroker.com this evening.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222543222