PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a Parker Reproduction?

Greg Nolting
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM
I am new to the world of owning a parker and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first parker and I was wondering what would be the correct method to clean the action and how to maintain it?

Paul Ehlers
03-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Greg,

Welcome to the wild world of Parkers!! This maybe your first Parker, but I'll bet it won't be your last.

Your question isn't an easy one to answer; Are you talking just a normal after shooting type of cleaning or a total gone-through disassembly type of cleaning.

The short version is for the normal type of cleaning:

Just do what you would to any other gun. Wipe down the metal with a good gun oil, clean off any gunk you can with a Q-tip or soft tooth brush, mop the bores with a good bore solvent & brush, then give them a light coat of oil. Just don't use any type of spray cleaner or oil in the action. Doing this can saturate the wood with oil or cleaner and damage the wood from oil soaking.

If your gun needs a total going through:

Since this is your first Parker, I would suggest that you take it to a competent double gunsmith that knows Parkers for this type of cleaning. In the mean time look at the FAQ section on the forumn and hang out here on a regular basis. It's amazing the things you'll learn here about doing work on these great old guns.

Tony Guccioni
03-25-2011, 02:55 AM
Congratulations.
What did you choose?

I'm patiently waiting for my first Parker Reproduction to appear.
Might be here for a while yet!

Greg, how long did it take to find the right gun?

Greg Nolting
03-25-2011, 07:14 AM
I bought a 28ga 2 barrel set and I plan to hunt with it.

Dean Romig
03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Greg, you're going to love that Repro. Presuming it is 26/28 inch with IMP/MOD in the 26" barrels and MOD/FULL in the 28" barrels might be good chokes for what you hunt. My choice would be Q1/Q2 and IMP/MOD but I've never seen one choked like that.

Have fun!

Chuck Heald
03-25-2011, 08:22 AM
I am new to the world of owning a parker and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first parker and I was wondering what would be the correct method to clean the action and how to maintain it?

Always use good solvent. Any of these will do.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/Scotch-Whiskey-1.jpg

Richard Skeuse
03-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Chuck those "Cleaners" are no good for cleaning a Repro,you better send them to me and I will get you some Hoppies.LOL

Paul Ehlers
03-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Chuck,

When do we need to show up for the gun cleaning party?

Chuck Heald
03-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Chuck those "Cleaners" are no good for cleaning a Repro,you better send them to me and I will get you some Hoppies.LOL

OK Richard. I'm always up for Hopps. A good IPA is about as Hoppie as I like. I'll trade straight across.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/IPAs.jpg

Paul,
Looks like it's gonna be at Richard's place.

Joe Bernfeld
03-26-2011, 08:08 AM
Chuck, I guess everyone needs a hobby...:shock:

Chuck Heald
03-26-2011, 09:03 AM
:fg:joe,
using those solvents is no hobby of mine...anymore.:fg::nono: I gave up that stuff decades ago. Not that I don't have one now and then, but it's very rare. I gave away a bottle of Pinch scotch a month ago, that had been given to me more than 10 yrs ago and wasn't even open. I had a little taste when I gave it away, just to recall what I had been missing.

I'm more a hops guy now. :cheers: :glug:

Matt Buckley
03-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Greg,
Post some pics of your new Parker to the family.