PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Roll stamping ?

Russ Jackson
08-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Good evening Gentlemen, could one of you fellows that are familiar with the " Remington Era " Parkers please help me out ? When did they stop engraving or roll stamping the barrel steel type on the Parker guns ?

Dave Suponski
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Russ..In the thread"Question About My G Grade" by Jack Johnson. We discussed this very topic. Bill stated that "by 1939 Remington was using their barrels".That meaning unmarked ribs. I will check the "Parker Story" and see if there is any mention in there.

Austin W Hogan
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
There is nothing in writing about this but it appears Remington stopped roll marking barrels with the move to Ilion and use of Remington barrels. Remington cataloged Parkers simply as A ,B,C, D, G, V and not as Acme, Titanic or Vulcan. There is no s/n cut off because Remington continued to fit Meriden barrels which were on hand.

There was a Remington memo noted in the Parker Pages article on the cessation of the Parker Operation indicating Remington felt nut bored Parker barrels inferior. If you have a barrel choked from the muzzle, it is probably Ilion production.

Best, Austin

Russ Jackson
08-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks to both of you fellows, I am in the process of buying a 1937 Gun, ser. in the 240,+++ ,range and there is no stamping on the rib, my only concern is that the barrels may have been replaced as I really am not familiar with the Rem. guns !

Dave Suponski
08-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Russ,On page 155 of the "Parker Story" the authors state that"guns as early as 1935 have been found with unmarked ribs and that by 1939 most were unmarked" So our esteemed members Bill Murphy and Austin have pretty much nailed it. :bowdown:

Post some pictures of the barrel flats when you have the gun in hand.

Russ Jackson
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Dave; Thanks again for the info. I am going to take a look at TPS., Some how I missed this, and here I thought I had some of it memorized ! About the matting, should it look the same as the earlier guns without the roll stamping ?Its probably fine ,it is just better to know as much as possible !

Dave Suponski
08-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Russ,Take a look at the pictures in Jack's thread that I mentioned earlier. He took a few great pictures of the rib matting.

Good luck on your new gun.

Gregory Miller
08-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Next to the Lug there will typically be a date Code on the barrel monobloc of a Remington made Parker. TPS has the Rem date codes. If it ever went back to the factory you may also see a second set. As an example my Remington Made Parker was completed in December of 35 and has an XD stamped on the Flats. Check TPS for the codes for 1939 and if they match with the flats, likely it is ok if everything else looks normal.

Russ Jackson
08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Greg; Thank you for the info. I don't have the gun in hand yet, but will take a good look when I can, the seller says there are a few codes on the gun. Russ