PDA

View Full Version : 50 Yard 2 3/4" Non-Tox Load?

Theodore LeDurt
03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Just getting set up and have to admit the expensive ITX verse the even more expensive Nice Shot is confusing me. Which type of shots would allow for better down wind kills?

Getting all these components lined up is bit over welming. Sure would have been a lot easier if the original Bismuth company had gone ahead with their plans for $11 per pound shot cost, and I could have let finances dictate my choice.

calvin humburg
03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Theodore, Think i'm going to try Nice-shot in bb seems people on the fourm like it. I think you use same data but will have to find out for sure before I roll some up. best ch

Mark Ouellette
03-14-2011, 07:17 PM
One needs to add 1500 PSI to their load pressure due to the hardness of Nice Shot.

This information is listed on their website.

John Dallas
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Why does hardness change PSI?

Mark Ouellette
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Soft shot compresses providing some "give" to the expanding gas.

Hard shot does not yield to the pressure. It provides more resistance causing pressure to rise faster and higher.

Picture a wad stuck in your barrel. Shoot and blow up the barrel because the extra wad provides more resistance to the expanding gas.

John Dallas
03-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I dunno. With today's shotcups, I wonder how much distortion actually occurs. How out of round is reclaimed shot?

Mark Ouellette
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Why do I waste my time?

If you do not believe me then please disregard my posts.

John Dallas
03-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Sorry. All I've seen so far is an opinion, not data

Mark Ouellette
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
"One needs to add 1500 PSI to their load pressure due to the hardness of Nice Shot.

This information is listed on their website."

This was my first post in this thread. If you check the Nice Shot website you will find the pressure warning.

Also, Greener wrote of these concepts long before 1900.

Richard Flanders
03-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I inherited a bag or two of what turned out to be reclaimed #8 shot, likely from a skeet range or something. It's pretty beat up with golf ball like dimples from adjacent pellets during firing and burrs from hitting a sandy/gravel backstop or something. I sure wouldn't shoot it without using shotcups for fear of embedded silica sand scratching the bbls. I bet it scatters like hell at close range though. I'm going to use some of it to fill the bags on my Caldwell rest; no need to use new shot for that purpose.