PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel dog

david ross
03-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Hi all
This is my jack russell meg she is two years old and a great little worker,
I trained her to hunt and flush game and works to a whistle the same as my
labs used to sadly there gone now, She is only small but she has a big heart
and will pin a wounded bird to the ground. she will retreive partridge but not a
pheasant but the thing she loves best is squirrels she'll kill and shake every
one i shoot she really is great little pal.

Thanks Dave.:):bigbye:

Fred Preston
03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Great little dogs, Dave. I've had a couple of JRTs over the years and most recently a pair of littermate rat terrier/beagle mixes, Bonnie and Clyde. I haven't encouraged them on birds as I have a pointer for that, but they are great squirrel dogs and will take on just about anything as shown below.

Fred

calvin humburg
03-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Where was the redbones and there wonderful music :) Is that your old dog in the avitar?

Fred Preston
03-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes Calvin, that's old Ringo bringing in a phez that was shot over water. My two old JRTs, Jack and Dolly, as well as B&C, worked well with the Redbones; especially when a critter was "treed" in a hole. Also as kill dogs; often the big hounds would stand back and let the little ones do the dirty work.

david ross
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Fred.
Nice dogs they are giving that old coon a bit of stick thay look like good kill dogs.
Thanks Dave.

CraigThompson
03-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I like JRT's but have never owned any !

Always had Border Terrier or two !

Borders stayed in the house and the setters stayed in the kennel :whistle:

william faulk
03-13-2011, 01:16 PM
Great pictures..love those little dogs.
I have a Fox Terrier mixed with a Bull Terrier named Jack.
He trees anything that can run and climb,anything!
If they can't run or climb or just too slow then they are just S.O.L.

charlie cleveland
03-13-2011, 01:47 PM
i really like these kind of posts and pictures and storeys i can relate to all of them...i also have a blue tick hound his name of course is old blue..he will tree anything that goes up a tree or into the ground...loves a gun better than most people...at the 4 of july when the kids shoot fireworks he has the best time of all of us... charlie

Mark Parela
03-24-2011, 12:00 PM
The jack can not even compare to a Patterdale.

david ross
03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
H i Mark
We all love are dogs so each to our own.
All the best Dave.

Mark Parela
03-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Dave I am looking for some pics, back in the day I ran Plumbers, Patterdales, Jags, Jacks for coon. I'd pack up the gang and head to midwest, We'd pull down 40-50 coon a day with the dogs. I had a pair of Lurchers also. The Patt was in it to win it. I miss those days.

Tom Brown
03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Boxbirder that's a lot of coon, if you are referring to hunting, were those types of dogs silent trailers? Where about did you hunt if I might ask? Growing up I hunted every night and thought 100 or so coon was pretty good for the season, used black and tans, walkers and redticks. Really enjoyed those times. T.

Mark Parela
03-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Cut em loose in the big barns. They tunnel out the coon and push them. I had to laugh last winter some of the guys were wearing breathing masks for the dust.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/boxbirder/truckloadofcoon.jpg

Fred Preston
03-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Mark, That's a heck of a pile of coon; what did the hides bring then? How about a pic of your Patterdale.

Tom Brown
03-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Ouch, I don't believe this, nice sizes! What part of the country? T.

Mark Parela
03-24-2011, 07:39 PM
I have a few friends that all they do is run the old abandoned houses and pull out 40-30 coon a season.
Here's the secret, never get married, work at it all year and when the fall hits your ready. I have a good friend up in MI who runs Airedales and Jacks, he does very well chasing them.

The problem I have with the Jacks is there not bred tested many people just breed and claim the have a proven dog. Not even close, you go to England up the Fells and there running dogs with tight blood lines and no good terrier man in the US is going to be selling good workers unless you have an in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/boxbirder/P1080031.jpg

Tom Brown
03-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Amazing, until this day I was accustomed to woods, hills, cornfields and swamps and never the breed of dogs mentioned above. Let the dogs out, waited until they opened up then we would listen for them to bark treed. Once we counted 14 pairs of eyes in one tree, shot two big coon with the Parker and happily walked away knowing the other twelve will hopefully be around for other nights out. Lots of guys used 22's for coon hunting but I always used a shotgun since it was more fun to let the dogs finish them off after they hit the ground. T.

Mark Parela
03-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I do own a pair of Walkers also for hunting in the east. There top flight runners, one being cold nosed and the other a spike dog. To me it's a goodtime for weeknight fun, I like the 22 since I don't want my hounds banging it out.

Fred Preston
03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Mark, Thanks for the pic of the Patterdale; it's one tough looking little fiece. How'd it turn out with the big kitty? In season, I use a Mark II with a 10" bbl., hold the light under it; don't kill many anymore except to get a little hair to the dogs, the hides aren't worth it.

Mark Parela
03-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I just use them to bay cats, coon had a good year but not with the country buyer. From what I am told on the street there is no inventory of coon and the boys up north faired well with here later trapped goods.

Destry L. Hoffard
03-27-2011, 06:48 PM
You boys are officially the coon killingest I ever heard tell of. That's some pile of fur, I wouldn't want to be in charge of skinning....

DLH

Fred Preston
03-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Old Ed Markel was a local buyer (gone now) where I would drop off my 3 or 4 a night for $3to $6 a critter. Ed wanted the whole carcass as he had a market for the meat in the big city. His shop was pretty rank and sometimes he had a couple of pickup loads on the floor. He had a couple of teenage Amish boys to do the heavy lifting.

Mark Parela
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
You peel them and have them on the board in about 6 mins. Back in the day when I was a kid I met and old timer "Andy" who showed me the ropes of hounds and skinning. It wasn't until I got out of college and paid a few western long liners to showme how to really catch fur. Then it was Andy doing my skinning for many years, I can remember backing in with my truck and unloading a bed full of fur. Then when the fur market crashed everyone stopped trapping and I kept at it. My catch doubled with so few trappers. But even today with a busy business taking me into the heart of NYC I still find the time every fall to go back to my roots of havesting fur.
You put the time in on the off season runs like this state hopping can be done in short order.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/boxbirder/tailgateshot1.jpg

Tom Brown
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
How many miles of trap line to get that fir stacked so high? Don't tell me that's just a day's catch... c'mon. T

Mark Parela
03-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Out of state on a legal 2 day check. I hate to break it to you it all comes down to having your line prepped and ready to go, then it's set the traps. I know guys out in Iowa doing 100 plus coon a nite, some almost 200 set, check, pull, man becomes machine. At the end of the day all you need is a good work ethic and you can over come anything that is thrown at you except a deep snow or an ice out. My season just closed last week, this morning I woke up and unloaded my trapping truck, that will go to my mechanic to get the once over, replace what ever and stored in my barn til next season. All my gear will be washed prepped gone through, dyed and waxed. Any gear that is in question ebay, by June 1st I will have just about all my gear done and ready, then it's get my permission again, plan my line so by July I am done. Look over maps, maybe move some things around. But I know plenty of trappers that will start getting ready 2 weeks before the start and they wonder why they come up short every year. No bait, magic set, gear will put fur in the back of the truck just hard work. I know a gent in Indiana that did 400 plus coyotes in 11 days this past season it can be done. Of course you have to want it and being single sure helps. LOL

Tom Brown
03-28-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm facinated with these large catches, nothing like I knew when growing up. Pete Rickard showed me how to trap foxes when he was alive, I was about 17years old then, I cought 14 one year both reds and grays using dirt hole sets. Mostly coon hunted. Pete knew many trappers around the states and canada like Pierre Cody, through his mail order trapping supply business of which is now permanently closed. Heard stories about Butcher and Dailey in their early days in the adirondacks and the "spring hole set". Had several friends in upstate NY both of whom caught 40-50 fox yearly and had their regular jobs. Nothing like what your averaging. T

Mark Parela
03-28-2011, 07:13 AM
I am not putting down those men you mentioned, but there were guys trapping circles around them. Pud Long, J Cutis Grigg, John K smith, Marvin Bud Hall....... What thse guys did was learn how to use the auto line and give up the foot line. Of course Daily was a man's man but he was a foot trapper. Butcher was a joke, all he had going for him was he could tell a good story, he was a better fly fishing guide. He ran an add in the NY times and a few stock brockers started going to him. They did all his investing and he died a very rich man. He'd show up at the big trappingt conventions in his plane..... bottom line was he owned a massive INN up there that his wife ran.

John Dallas
03-28-2011, 08:10 AM
I've had the unique opportunity to hunt ducks with Wylie Abbot on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. He was the 13 time World Muskrat Skinning Champion (5 'rats in 59 seconds was his best effort) He would trap 1,500 - 2,000 marsh rabbits a year.

charlie cleveland
03-28-2011, 08:35 AM
all i can say is wow..... charlie

Mark Parela
03-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Heavy D you better add another zero on the end of those numbers. Right now the champ is a 17 year old girl. There's an art to skinning, make your money cut leg to leg, and learn to use a winch.
Bada Bing

John Dallas
03-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Not sure which number is wrong. Here's a link to the National Skinning Championships, and the girls who compete.

http://muskratlovely.com

Mark Parela
03-28-2011, 01:29 PM
After taking 10 years off, Ted Abbott has come back to reclaim the title of the nation's best muskrat skinner.

Abbott, claimed the honor by skinning five muskrats in 1 minute 25 1/2 seconds Saturday night at the 46th annual National Outdoor Show in Golden Hill on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Abbott, 51, is a home renovation contractor from Fishing Creek, Md

calvin humburg
03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Victor Hindergart was the ol guy I sold to (long gone also).Told me I did a dandy job fleshing one of my favorite compliments in life said my Dad showed me how, used a ax. His ol shack was a little rank also. Anyway I was maybe a freshman I was over there and there was something hanging in the chicken wire ceiling. Vick what's that? I'ts a coon dick makin a toothpick:eek: I said boy I better have 3
Told my dad about it, still ain't sure if anybody ever really used them. I always thought be kind of fun to have one to just to lone out.

Mark Parela
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Once you use a Shefield fleshing knife you will think you died and went to heaven. I was first shown one 20 years ago and that's all I have used ever since. You can flesh out a coon in a minute, beaver in about 3-4. Check out my friends site, he traps hard all season, state hops, also runs Jadg terriers. www.rktraplineproducts.com I must say Rich has some of the finest baits bar none. I believe Rich did about 1100 coon in 28 days trapping NE.

As for the coon pecker tooth pick yep they still sell them at the trapping conventions.

Dean Romig
03-29-2011, 10:03 PM
Also 'coon dicks' are worn around the neck as a virility charm. I've seen replicas in both silver and gold.