PDA

View Full Version : When the Case Colours Go - Is it Possible to have them Replaced with Rust Blue?

Tony Guccioni
03-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Good Day everyone, My name is Tony and I've just discovered a new addiction.
I've been collecting Winchester model 23's for a while and was progressing towards Classic Doubles branded guns until a friend commented that they look like Parker Repros. I said Parker WHAT!

There is so much to love about these beautiful guns.... except the (assumed) ease of wear of the case colours. I'm looking for a 12 Ga. for Sporting Clays and expect to fire up to 1000 shots with it per year.
With average handling by the average Joe (me) how long till Case Colour wear becomes apparent?
And when wear does become too much to bear would it be possible to replace all of case colouring with rust blue. I suppose all of the metal work will need doing for the sake of uniformity.
Thanks in advance.

Dave Miles
03-12-2011, 05:23 AM
I think case colors wear at varying rates, so it would be hard to guess at how long it would take to wear them off.
If you were to rust blue the receiver it would then look like a Win. model 23.
Not a good idea.

Bruce Day
03-12-2011, 05:59 AM
....And when wear does become too much to bear would it be possible to replace all of case colouring with rust blue....

It certainly would be possible. But why not just get some pink or purple spray paint from the hardware store and paint it with that? All would be equally inappropriate on a Parker.

calvin humburg
03-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Bruce are you saying I shouldn't off spray painted mine. Well fiddle! and I got such a nice cammo pattern.

Dean Romig
03-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Tony, there's nothing wrong with an honestly used Parker to have no case color remaining. A Parker Repro that has been used a lot will be about entirely silver and that's OK because it is a "shooter" and not a "safe queen".

Tony Guccioni
03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
I'm so careful in the handling of my guns that if I collect a mark/blemish that cannot be TOTALLY rectified I'll get rid of it.
I find that perhaps the most satisfying aspect of shooting is the pride in ownership of quality guns in pristine condition.
An exciting option when considering my first Parker is the availability of unfired /new condition guns.
However, the idea of buying a (not inexpensive) gun only to wait for it's appearance to deteriorate with relatively moderate (?) use is taking some getting use to!
This is the very reason that I've avoided case coloured guns in the past. But, I want to spread my wings and make an exception for a Parker Reproduction.
A lot of the guns I've found photos for, on the net, look untidy at best with half worn case colours.
Fullcoverage or nothing at all seems best to me.
That's why I initially spoke of removing all worn colours once wear became apparent.
I suppose if I'm willing to take the plunge on these beauties then I should consider getting with "the look" and settling for that all over silver gleam.
I apologize to those who considered my mention of rust blueing as Blasphemous. ( I"ll Keep that one to myself in future:) )

Dave Suponski
03-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Tony, While guns with 100% case colors are beautiful to look at and in the collectors world are very sought after I think guns with worn colors or no colors are a sign of use,enjoyment and most of all memories.....

I regularly shoot a Parker Repro 28 gauge gun and I can't wait for the colors to fade.....:)

Remember a gun with fading colors is not a sign of misuse.

Rick Losey
03-12-2011, 08:44 AM
folks like Doug Turnbull can redo the case color once its worn to the point it bothers you- certainly more appropriate than bluing if you care about how it looks

you can also help preserve the color with lacquer so that it does not wear as quickly

-http://www.csmcspecials.com/Case_Color_Lacquer_p/f0050.htm

Bill Murphy
03-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I think it was Oscar Gaddy who recommended a Behrens spray lacquer to protect case colors. I don't know the name of the particular product. To answer Tony's question, those colors start to come off at the first round of skeet if I'm doing the carrying.

Eric Eis
03-12-2011, 09:35 AM
"I apologize to those who considered my mention of rust blueing as Blasphemous"

You are right there... nothing is worse then seeing a blued receiver on a Parker (Repo or not) if you want new case colors send it to Turnbull and as mentioned spraying as Bill said with Behrens spray lacquer will help keep the wear down. Eric

Kenny Graft
03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Case color of the parker repro's....I own and shoot my repro's...pictures are made to look at...guns are made to shoot!...If its investing your talking about then you should get them white gloves to touch and hold them with....HHHHMMMM what fun would that be??? I love the smell that vapors from a fired shot shell....(-: Probably die of lung cancer..Some repro's have gone silver faster than others that Im shooting, don't know why. Any regular use with swetty hands or gloves work the color off faster. Be carfull with the bug spray!...it attacks the clear coat on the wood. As stated above, with use they get a warm loved look that makes me happy, they get lots of attention in the rack at the gun club!...(-: Tom Skues hit a home run with his Parker repro's....how els could you afford to own minty DHE in 28ga....410...20/16 great quality that realy shoot hard! He got cheap with the case color but sure made it up with the wood! No one should fuss about the price of his guns,...they are a great value!!! At some point I will have my well used ones freshed up, re-cased, dress the checkering and oil finish the wood!...sweet! thanks all SXS ohio....

Bruce Day
03-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Bruce are you saying I shouldn't off spray painted mine. Well fiddle! and I got such a nice cammo pattern.

Well maybe I was being a little harsh. I really don't think bluing is a good idea, but maybe you have something with a camo pattern. If you could do a pink camo pattern, wow, think of what could happen when you took it to the gun club.

calvin humburg
03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
U better stay out my safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter Clark
03-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Tony,
Go to the second page of threads in this repro forum and see my post titled "more good work from Brad Bachelder" from August 2010. You will get an idea of what redone case colors can look like when bone/charcoal method is used. Engraving was not redone but looks as it did defore the work. Wood was redone also. The small gun is a 28 and the original case colors wore off in one season with moderate use. The other is a 12 bore and the colors were more persistent but I can tell you the gun looks for all the world like it came off the shelf this way. Colors are not as harsh in person as in the photo. I have had 3 redone and the 12 ga is easily my favorite both to shoot and look at. I consider this new look a good starting point to let the guns age gracefully with use. I never did care for the original colors and stock finish even when the guns were new.
-plc-