PDA

View Full Version : 24 ga

charlie cleveland
03-04-2011, 06:45 PM
just recieved a rather unuseul shell its a 24 ga remington umc...plus its a round ball load..its red in color and has canada remington written on the paper of the hull....well now ive got to hunt for the 32 ga slug or round ball load thanks to a duck hunting fellow in michigan

Dean Romig
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
There was only ever one 24 gauge Parker made... that we know of.

Bill Murphy
03-05-2011, 08:19 AM
The first identified owner of the U.S. Cartrige Company 24 gauge VH after USC was Bob Hess, who was a member of my gun club when I was a pup. When Bob passed away, his son was occupied in the military and Bob Sr.'s wife attempted to dispose of some of his collection. I visited the fellow she enlisted to sell some of the guns to purchase a wonderful Browning Superposed that I had to have. Rooting through some of Bob's "stuff", I found a full wooden case of Remington 24 gauge shells. Thoughts of the old gun raced through my mind. I asked about purchasing the shells, thinking I would work my way into the gun. The fellow told me he had promised to save the shells for the gentleman who had bought the gun. "Bought the gun?". I was crushed. Not only did I miss the gun, I couldn't buy the shells. Happily, I did purchase Bob's VHE 20 gauge skeet in the Abercrombie and Fitch 28 gauge VC case where it was placed after the minty VHE 28 was sold caseless and tagless. I tried to buy the tags for the fully optioned, field choked 28, but he wouldn't let go of the tags. Kevin M. and I were both mentored in that club along with Bob Hess' son who went on to an Air Force career and a place on the Air Force International Skeet team. I shot a little on the International Skeet circuit later on and ran into Bob Jr. a few times on the road. One of those meetings is another story I have told here before.

Bill Murphy
03-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Bob Hess was mentioned by Johnson in his book although his name was misspelled. The gun was described by Johnson as a Trojan, although it was, in fact, a V grade. The next time I saw the/a 24 gauge V grade, it was hideously refinished, at least in my recollection. It may have been cleaned up a bit by now. I don't know who among us owns it now.

Robert Delk
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM
I remember someone had the 24 guage Parker at a gunshow in Rochester ,Minnesota in the early 80's. I got to handle it and I recall that it appeared to have been used quite a bit. The photos I have seen of it later make it look like it has been refinished.

Bill Murphy
03-05-2011, 12:48 PM
That's the impression I had when it was on display at the first PGCA meeting at Nashville.

Robert Delk
03-05-2011, 01:00 PM
I am thinking that "24 guage" was stamped on the stock also or am I remembering incorrectly.

Bill Murphy
03-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't remember, but most ammo test guns were marked somehow.

Dave Suponski
03-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Guy's I think there is a photo of that gun somewhere. One of Ed's bokks or TPS or maybe Baer. Don't remember....

Dean Romig
03-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Is the 18 ga. DH that Merrington did an article on in DGJ marked as a "test" gun?

charlie cleveland
03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
gonna be hard for me to find that 18 ga round ball load.... charlie