PDA

View Full Version : Auction Item

John Dallas
08-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I see that Mr. Giles has generously offered up an XXL Tall Willis and Geiger shirt for the auction. Assuming it's not too badly stained by fezzant blood, or filled weith black powder holes, it sounds like I need it, but won't be at the show. Any wany to get involved in trying to buy it? Am leaving for a trout fishing trip to Slovenia ( ? ) in a couple of days, and would love to help out the PGCA in some small (or XXL Tall) way. Suggestions?

C Roger Giles
08-15-2009, 03:45 PM
John;

That damn jacket hung in my closet for a long time as I had hopes of loosing enough weight to wear it again, me now laughs at this dream.

The jacket is out of my hands and won't be auctioned until probably after your return from Slovenia.

I suggest you have one of your friends bid for you if you can not attend the annual meeting.

PTG Roger

John Dunkle
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Hey John and Roger..

I AM JUST THINKING OUT LOUD HERE _ SO PLEASE DO NOT HOLD ME TO THIS _ BUT.....

Dan Houghton (http://parkerguns.org/forums/member.php?u=21) runs the silent auction - so maybe a quick e-mail to him John..?? As well... Here is my thought for a day..

What would happen if Dan posted up both the items and item picture here on the Forum? Those who are NOT attending could bid via a PM/e-mail to Dan (NOT IN PUBLIC - as it defeats a "Silent Auction" ;) ). However - if you win, and are not there to pick up the item - you would be charged a surcharge for packing and shipping to you (whatever that is). Or, if you wanted someone who was in attendance to pick it up - you could also designate that person in your bid to Dan..?

I have NO IDEA if this would "fly" - but - in any case, it's an idea for a good cause (PGCA)...

Dan? Got your ears on?? ;)

John

C Roger Giles
08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Dan;

I think John has hit on an idea that could bring higher profits from the silent auction. Probably a little fine tweaking to this idea will have to be made. This concept would enable the majority of the membership that does not attend the annual meeting for one reason or other an oppertunity to play in the silent auction game.

The silent auctions purpose is to raise funds to help off set the lack of membership dues not payed in by the lifers.

BTW John give me a PM

Dean Romig
08-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Roger Giles stated:
"The silent auctions purpose is to raise funds to help off set the lack of membership dues not payed in by the lifers."

:shock: :corn:

That statement probably bears some discussion. I'll shoot you a PM.

Dean

Bill Murphy
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
I assume that life membership payments were put into some kind of high yield investment account that is now worth a tidy sum of money. My three hundred bucks is probably worth thousands now.

Dan Houghton
08-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm a listening and am open to most things! I do want to drum up as much as possible for the organization, of course, but I don't want to reduce the number of items available to the folks who pay to attend the banquet either. Maye we could do a little of both. Some dedicated online items and some saved just for the silent auction.

Austin W Hogan
08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
The Silent Auction Fundraiser at the Annual Banquet was initiated by Mr and Mrs Herzog about 1996 - 98. Prior to that time, the annual raffle was the only general fundraiser for PGCA.

I am not sure of the exact number, but about $10000 to $20000 was solicited from the early life members and some annual members, in amounts of $200 each, to copy mount and bind the copies of the Parker Archives, This was at about the same time.

The Silent Auction is a lot of fun, and Dan and his father put a good bit of time and effort in it. Many items arrive the day of the auction, and it would be difficult to post them for sale. The best way to participate at long range is to be in phone contact with a friend who is at the banquet.

Best, Austin

John Dunkle
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm a listening and am open to most things! I do want to drum up as much as possible for the organization, of course, but I don't want to reduce the number of items available to the folks who pay to attend the banquet either. Maye we could do a little of both. Some dedicated online items and some saved just for the silent auction. I think you hit the nail on the head, Dan.. While I know some items make it on the tables the night of the auction/banquet - which is terrific as well... I guess what my thoughts are is that for those who commit before the banquet (see your list above?) maybe posting pics and taking "PRIVATE" bids beforehand would be something that could happen??

I dun'no exactly how it could/would work - except...? If you would like me to track Internet bids for the items posted here - I can do that - and send them on to you the day of the Banquet (I can send the PGCA Internet "high bid" for an item that day). Since I'm on-line all the time, it's not an issue at my end, and I'd be glad to assist - if you need an assist???

Dan - as well - I also want to say "thank you" to you for doing all this.. It's folk's like you who make PGCA take a step beyond our expectations...

John