PDA

View Full Version : safety

Robert McClenagan
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Can you defeat the automatic/hunting safety and go to manual without damaging the integrity of the gun?

E Robert Fabian
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Yes Robert, But it would be best done by a qualified smith.
Bob

Robert McClenagan
03-01-2011, 07:03 PM
237802 is that a "remington parker" a" winchester parker" or a real Parker

Dean Romig
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
It is a Remington Parker from the pre-Ilion era and right at the end of the "transition period".

Robert McClenagan
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks, what year would that gun have been made and if it was in good condition what is the approx. value. It has a Del Greco pad.Does that mean anything?

Dean Romig
03-01-2011, 07:54 PM
It was made in 1935. The Parker Gun works was moved to Ilion NY in 1936.

The Pad might indicate some work was performed on it by Del Grego - but maybe not. Could be that someone got a Del Grego pad and installed it on the gun.

We can't determine value without having the gun in hand for a thorough examination.

Robert McClenagan
03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
I am a neophyte please explain, was this gun made by Parker, a secondary factory at Ilion, and did Remington own this gunworks or what? If this gun is perfect mechanically and cosmetically give me a ball park value. Also how many were made. Thanks Robert

Dean Romig
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Robert, I'm not trying to be cryptic. 237802 is in the "book" as a 28 gauge, VHE with 26" barrels and was probably made on the 00-Frame which, at the time it was made, was the standard frame size for that particular gauge. Whether it was a capped pistol grip, an uncapped pistol grip or a straight grip is not indicated in the book. Value is entirely dependent on condition but being a 28 gauge, if it is in the range of 'very good' and 'un-messed-with' to 'as new in box' would have a value of anywhere from $8K up to about $20K.... again, depending entirely upon condition.

It was made after Remington bought the Parker Gun Works but was made by the original Parker Bros. employees and contractors in the Meriden CT plant so it can be considered a Remington Parker though it may not have all the 'earmarks' of a later Remington Parker.

Robert McClenagan
03-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the education,I am beginning to understand the history of the guns,what is the "book" you refer to. I do thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Dean Romig
03-02-2011, 06:49 AM
It is the Parker Gun Identification & Serialization book published by Blue Book Publications and authored by Charlie Price. It can be purchased for under $40 and is an indispensible resource for serious Parkerphiles.

david ross
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Dean
In the book The Parker Gun by Larry L Baer it states parker gun works moved to IIion in
1938 not 1937 ? see page 119. I have a Remington Parker no 240831 1/2 frame made in
1937 was it made in IIion or the old parker gun works? .
Thanks Dave.

Dean Romig
03-02-2011, 03:42 PM
David, in response to your first sentence - Oops, my mistake.

In response to your question - I don't know.
There are existing records which indicate the last gun made in Meriden but I am not near my library at this moment.

Regards, Dean

Dave Suponski
03-02-2011, 04:26 PM
David, Per the "Parker Story"....:rolleyes: The first gun produced under Remington ownership is 236531. There were of course lower numbered guns both finished and unfinished at the time of the ownership change.

david ross
03-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Hi Dave
My gun no 240830 has a grip cap that say's parker bros meriden conn and is a remington
gun.doe's this make it a gun made at the old parker works by remington before thay moved to NY.My gun was shiped 23/11/37 and do NY GUNS have parker bros meriden conn on there grip caps ?
Thanks Dave ross

Dave Suponski
03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
David, A couple of scenerios could of happened. Your gun could have been a completed gun in Meriden and thus was shipped as it was built. Another may have been that Remington was using up old stock on the grip caps. We have seen guns with Meriden butt plates,grip caps and barrel roll marks that were clearly Remington assembled guns.

Dean Romig
03-03-2011, 01:29 PM
When Remington purchased the Parker Gun Works they purchased everything - all of the hardware, fittings, parts, pieces, frames, barrels, caps, stock blanks and all of the machinery, records, patents, etc., etc. and like Dave says, we often see Parkers made well into the Ilion NY era with grip caps that are from Meriden CT.

david ross
03-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Dean.
In your opinion do you consider the parker or Remington parker the best or are thay
the same in quality of build ect.

thanks Dave.

Dean Romig
03-03-2011, 05:27 PM
I have tried to judge one against the other and the conclusion I keep arriving at is that the Parker Bros. guns and the Remington Parkers are all the result of thoughtful design, impeccable craftsmanship and, in the graded guns, remarkably beautiful and tasteful engraving and wood checkering as well as carefully selected walnut to support the level of the grade. I love them all, each for their own qualities.