PDA

View Full Version : Remington 16 gauge

Dave Suponski
02-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Gentlemen, I am in need of some 16 gauge Remington Game load hulls. These are the black shells that can be bought at the big box stores. I am willing to buy whatever you can spare,

Richard Flanders
02-28-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a hand full left of a box of ribbed black plastic 16ga Remingtons with cardboard wads and no shot cups that I bought in 1965. I never throw anything away.... I'll put them in my will for you Dave...

Dave Suponski
02-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Thanks Rich!

charlie cleveland
03-01-2011, 10:51 PM
is there anything special about these hulls...ive loaded them and they reload more times than most other hulls.... charlie

Dave Suponski
03-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Charlie, Nothing special really. I am set up for them and have a pile of wads,etc. I load them several way's and use them in all my 16 gauge gun's. A lot of guys like the cheddite hulls like Winchester,RST etc. and every once in a while I splurge and buy a flat of RST's. I think there is no better but reloading is still cheaper and I enjoy it.

Thanks to a couple of generous PGCA members I have a supply on the way. We really do have a bunch of great guy's here.....:bowdown:

King Brown
03-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm addicted to them because they make wonderful crimps, indistinguishable from new out of the box. I only bought a couple hundred from BP years ago, enough to last me out, so I have none to spare.

charlie cleveland
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
king some shells just seem to crimp better for me too..but for some reason there usally harder to put the wad in it just may be me...charlie

Dave Suponski
03-07-2011, 07:11 PM
King, If you bought a couple hundred a few years ago you don't shoot enough...:whistle:

King Brown
03-07-2011, 10:53 PM
It's true, I don't shoot as I did, clays a few times with the kids, but mostly for birds. A couple hundred new hulls in 12, 16 and 20 will see me out with a few flats of Kent TM. The limit on blacks is five, the geese toll well, but I bought some beautiful magnum drake whistler decoys for the divers mix next season so enough maybe not!

Dean Romig
03-08-2011, 12:03 AM
King, Do you have or have you used a Nova Scotia Tolling Dog? I had a friend who passed away a couple of weeks ago who had a wonderful one, "Rusty" that was a fabulous dog on just about any kind of fowl, be it geese, ducks or woodcock. What has been your experience with these dogs?

Dean

King Brown
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Dean, yes, I've gunned with the Nova Scotia Toller when it was called the Little River Duck Dog, starting about 50 years ago. (My neighbour a kilometre away bought one last fall.) They're intelligent, all they're cracked up to be, the only limitation in temperament, usually a one-person dog. They're not as tractable and laid-back as a Lab.

I remember a toll of about 200 bluebills in a salt-water harbour called Ostrea Lake on the Eastern Shore, not far from where Destry Hoffard was tub-shooting a few years ago. The birds were a long way off, maybe a quarter mile, and the birds tolled in a tear-shape like attracted by a magnet.

Another time I used my black Lab on bluebills and he brought 100 bluebills nearly ashore on the edge of a field jutting into a brackish pond behind a bay. I kept throwing a stick, the birds kept coming, and Jake didn't break.

Dean Romig
03-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks King, that's about what I understand of these dogs. I thought it was the dog's coloration but using a black lab as you did makes me believe it's just the curiosity of the fowl that is their undoing.

E Robert Fabian
03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Susan and Dave have some great dogs, I have one of their Labs.
They have been breeding NSDTR for a number of years.
http://www.wassookeagretrievers.com/puppies.html