PDA

View Full Version : Grouse mount is back....

Kenny Graft
02-28-2011, 07:33 AM
This was my first grouse...shot in potter county P.A. november of 2010 I should of had a double but shot under the second bird as it banked left and up...This was the first grouse I had ever shot at. Shot with a Parker repro 16ga. that I had never fired prior to killing this grouse. Its one of the rare 20-16 two barrel sets, DT-PG-SF both barrels are 28" and choked Q1/Q2 Now for the pics...

E Robert Fabian
02-28-2011, 07:59 AM
That's a nice mature bird and great mount , know you just have to prepare yourself for the down hill slide after that first hunt.
Bob

Kenny Graft
02-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Being from a part of ohio that never had grouse within walking distance...never got to see any of them....After a long spell...say my 20- and 30-s I was hooked on chaseing other intrests.....Now im back to my senses...I still live in part of ohio deviod of wild birds. As luck will have I met a very nice man that invited me to come to potter county P.A. for this grouse hunt.....This area still has birds as we did see about 12 birds that 2-3 hour hunt. He has a Gordon setter that is wonderfull, a English setter That is just as good....thay hunt like machines together and I saw the english setter back the gordeon on point more than once...splendid! I was welcomed back to hunt with them anytime and surely will! I lost my family beagle back in october of 2010. I liked Daves gordon so well I asked him to find me a gordon from a hunting kennel...wella it took some looking but I have a puppy...a female that was born feb-5th, I will get her arround the 10th of april. To see a puupy cam of the pups go to www.tamdhusetters.com click on puppy cam They still have a couple pups availible...(-: thanks all SXS ohio...(-:

Eric Eis
02-28-2011, 10:13 AM
That is one wonderful mount, who did it? Eric

Dean Romig
02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Very nice Kenny!

My first one is a "tail mount".

Kenny Graft
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
A fella in southern ohio who I have never met...He works out of bulleseye pheasant perserve.....Im sure a frozen shipment could be arranged, but may need in person pick up as they may be to frajile to ship? dont know. Thanks SXS ohio...

Dave Suponski
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Kenny, Fabulous mount! Congratulations....:bowdown:

Marc Retallack
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Nice mount Kenny. Where in Potter county were you hunting? I hunt grouse and turkey in Susquehannock State Forest near Germania.

Cheers
Marcus

Kenny Graft
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I was made to ware a blind fold...no idea were I was...I will need to sneek a GPS next time...(-:

Marc Retallack
02-28-2011, 09:48 PM
:shock::shock:

Richard Flanders
03-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Nice mount Kenny. Looks as big as a pheasant that way!

Russ Jackson
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Kenny ,Great mount,every Grouse is a real Trophy ! WE sort of have the same taste in mounts ! This old girl in the second picture is the one that pointed it !She is near 15 years old here and pointing a Chipmunk in the yard , the Grouse was taken her first year of hunting !

Kenny Graft
03-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Brush buster....great to see your post...(-: My bird was shot over a Gordon setter, a well polished 4 year old. I told the owner that I wanted a gordon to replace my beagle of 15+ years we lost last october. I was serprized how few hunting kennels have gordons. My mentor will train me and my puppy, Dave was very particular of the kennel and history of the parent dogs. After several disapointments we found a femail puppy with a excellent background...yip-EEE We will get her this april 10th. Gordons are top grouse dogs when properly trained and allowed to hunt. They like to range and don't like a short leash. I plan to get a GPS collar so not to let her or me get lost. Next year I hope to hunt Kansas again. If all goes well I will get some quail to be mounted. A three bird rise would be nice...(-: I thank the Lord for all his blessings every day! thanks all SXS ohio.

Russ Jackson
03-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Kenny I am sure April 10 ,can't come fast enough ! Really take the time and enjoy your new pup ,there is nothing like starting a new pup and all the years of enjoyment that follows a well trained Bird Dog ! Russ