PDA

View Full Version : parker 12 vh #227904 recoil pad

Pat Buford
02-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Inherited from my grandfather above vh. All that remains on butt is thin layer of nailed on leather....suspect it came with Jostam pad or similar...now gone but once glued to the leather. Want to replace with correct type of pad w/o greatly increasing LOP. I see a 1/2 " "original " Hawkins is available.........any sugestions. Do not want to change this gun....period correct pad should be OK and not alter the gun.. Vintage approx 1928..........Thanks......Pat......p.s. LOP is now 13 5/8.....

Bill Murphy
02-28-2011, 08:56 AM
It depends on how long you want the stock to be. How thick a pad do you want?

Bruce Day
02-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Either a Silvers or the Hawkins with the heart or diamond shaped openings would be period correct. the Silvers comes in two thicknesses. Both are available from Galazan/Conn. Shotguns.

There was a Parker Pages article on recoil pads about 7-8 years ago, if you have all the PP's, which are invaluable for a collector.

william faulk
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Galazan even has an original Hawkins pad still in box for $140 and same on an original Jostam pad..these are not copies.
Bill

Pat Buford
03-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. The silvers repro pad from Galazans looks right and is period correct. Have located a Parker (no Brothers below dog with snipe) repro butt plate advertised as a "Parker Model One shotgun butt plate".......The dimensions are a match to my gun...but is this period correct....Why Parker but not brothers.....Thank you for your time...........

Dean Romig
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM
227904 was made years before Remington started using the buttplate that only said "PARKER"

Pat Buford
03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Dean and others.....The "Parker" butt plate did not seem right....have sent request for research letter to PGCA for the 12 (1 1/2 frame) and my 20 (0 frame)....Strongly suspect 12 was delivered with recoil pad installed.....We shall see.........will likely go with silvers pad...period correct and I like the old fashioned look of the "solid" red pad... Thanks .......... Pat

Pat Buford
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Now have Parker letter on the gun. Per letter factory lop is 14". Snipe/dog # 1 repro butt plate from Galazan is 1 11/16" w x 5" and .400" depth. This looks like a close fit and the .400 " depth added to end of stock (13 5/8" from front trigger to end of wood) brings it very close to factory dimensions ( 14.02" per my calculation/measurement) . However, the Galazan plate has spur and there is no corresponding notch in the stock. It appears the stock has not been cut because the spur and corresponding notch would be longer than the .400'' required to bring the gun to factory lop (I did measure spur on 20 ga. butt I have on hand). So...the choices would appear to be :1 cut the spur and install resulting flat plate. 2. Install original Silvers in red or orange. 3. Install repro silvers style 1" pad available from Galazans. So what say ye and if pad what is period correct color?.........thanks for your help and responses.....goal is to put her in shooting condition without diminishing authenticity.

Eric Eis
04-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Pat look on ebay, there is a guy that sells repo Parker buttplates with both the spur and no spur.

David Holes
04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I happen to have a dog snipe original without the spur. It looks like a really close fit to the measurements you listed. If interested pm me. thanks Dave

Pat Buford
04-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Dave, pm sent.....Pat

Dean Romig
04-07-2011, 11:21 PM
227904 might well have originally had the DHBP without the spur.

Pat Buford
08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Dean, Dave and others...a belated thank you for your input. I did get an original period plate from Dave and it is exact fit. I looked at several vh Parkers at the Southern SxS with serial numbers very close to mine and the flat dh with snipe is a match. Plate is now installed (Al Edge outside of Richmond Virginia did the work). Gun now is as it was from the factory with appropriate original plate ...looks good. Dean btw just sent you an order for forend removal tool. Thanks again, guys.......Pat

Dean Romig
08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Received your PM Pat and will send the forend tool in tomorrow's mail.

Thanks, Dean