PDA

View Full Version : Good Gun?

John Conwell
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
My Dad recently passed away, and we trying to understand whether this Parker Brothers side by side is a keeper. I sent for a letter. Mark was kind enough to share that the only record is an 1882 return to repair the lock and get the right barrel to shoot better. We've never shot it due to concerns about modern shells in the Damascus steel barrels.
I think this link will take you to a whole bunch of photos. https://picasaweb.google.com/106540361599054330302/ParkerBrosShotgun?authkey=Gv1sRgCInqvN7z97zPzgE#

Robin Lewis
02-27-2011, 07:20 PM
If the barrels are not heavily pitted, it looks like a nice solid, unmolested gun.

If you are interested in using it, I would have a gunsmith that does a lot of high end doubles or has a good background with Parkers look it over. Your average hunting rifle guy isn't a good place to go, find someone that has a good knowledge of shotgun barrels and see what they say. From the pictures its hard to see much but from what I can see, it look good.

John Conwell
02-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you for the feed back. What's the best way to find someone who truly has a good background with Parkers? Is there a good list on this site, I suspect the Yellow Pages (do those still exist?) is not the best source...

Robin Lewis
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Tell us what part of the country you are in and maybe someone here can recommend someone nearby.

John Conwell
02-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Maryland

Austin W Hogan
02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
The engraving on the frame and locks, plus the checking pattern indicate that this is probably a grade two. The barrels' damascus pattern does not show in the photos; this might just be due to the flash, or may indicate the barrels were blued at some time. The gunsmith should examine the barrels for any problems that might have been caused by hot bluing. There is a list of gunsmiths and restorers elsewhere on the forum.
Nice looking gun, from a nice era in Parker Production.
Best, Austin

Frank Cronin
02-27-2011, 11:12 PM
I can barely see the Damascus pattern on barrels in picture 6 of 52 in your album. As Austin said, the pictures due to the flash and glare it is difficult to be certain if they have been blued or not in the past and should be inspected by a gunsmith to be sure.

This looks like a very nice Parker lifter model that hasn't been messed with.

John Conwell
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the great advice - the flash did wash out the Damascus engraving more than I
hoped. Case of good camera, bad photographer.

todd allen
03-01-2011, 01:14 AM
It looks like a beautiful example of an early Parker.
I think it's a keeper, especially since it was your Dad's.

Dean Romig
03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
I can see the Damascus pattern pretty easily and it is my opinion it has never been blued. I believe the darkness of the barrels is simply caused by more than a century of old crud and rust. I would be concerned however, and (if you ever intend to shoot it) besides having the barrels checked by an expert, is to have the stock repaired professionally as there are a few serious fractures in it at the wrist and stock head. Nice old Parker, in any case.

Jeff Bonadurer
03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
John,
Very sorry to hear of your loss.
I looked at the photos of your shotgun on picasa.
I think it looks in very nice condition. I would keep it in the family.
I just purchased one very similar, the bores on mine are quite pitted
plus the lock-up is a little loose. I will not be shooting mine but that's
ok with me. In the past I sold a high grade D.M. Lefever shotgun and
have regretted it ever since. Just food for thought. Thanks for sharing
the photos of your Parker grade 2 lifter.

Kind regards,
Jeff Bonadurer

"There's no substitute for experience."

Jay Baskette
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
By chance, is this the gun at Albrights in Easton MD?