PDA

View Full Version : She thought it was a Parker

Philip Smith
02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
My wife bought me a side by side double shot gun at an estate sale last week. She thought that it was a Parker (at a glance maybe a bit) similar to the one I have, a 1905 CHE. But when I looked at it I found that it was an Auguste Francotte. Unlike a Parker, I found researching this gun is confusing.
I am looking for information on how to identify this gun or someone who has experience with them. An interesting side note; it has a 20" Damascus barrel, if someone cut it down they did a great job, even has the bead. Also it has sling attachment rings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John Dallas
02-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Try posting on the Double Gun Site. Lots of guys over there who are experienced with European guns
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums

William Stevenson
03-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Philip, Your description brings to mind "The Godfather". Bill

Dean Romig
03-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Philip, Your description brings to mind "The Godfather". Bill

Right, when Michael Corleone was in Italy in hiding his bodyguards had such guns.

Scott Janowski
03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Reminds me of a story from our gun club. One of the first people I met when I joined the Outlet Rod and Gun club in Rochester NY was Harold Speary.

Harold was in his 70's when I met him and he always had great stories of the days gone by. Harold had been a charter member of the club and was a true gentleman, and a very good Skeet shooter. Harold was about five foot five he always wore his British driving cap and Skooum shooting sweater, he always had very nice guns Foxes, Winchester 21's, Brownings, ect.

Harold was working his day on at the club in the early 70's.
At this time the local mob was big news with Sammy Gingillo the big man at the time. Here is a link to the complete story http://www.americanmafia.com/Cities/Rochester.html

It was a slow Sunday afternoon Harold was the only one there and in walks Sammy "G" Gingillo with his "Crew". Harold told me he thought they were going to rob the place! It turns out that they just wanted to shoot and asked Harold to show them how! So he sells them shells and they go to get their guns. When Harold walks out of the club he sees all these huge mobsters and all they have to shoot are sawed off pumps and doubles!

Harold takes them out and he shows them the basics of Skeet and Sammy asks; "What kind of gun is that?" Its a Browning pigeon grade Superposed says Harold. When Sammy came back the next week (This time the club is packed) he comes in the door and asks does anyone know Harold?........ and the place goes silent. Harold said "When I came down from the bar and he saw me it was like I was his best friend and he could not wait to show me all the Brownings he bought for himself and his body guards!"
A few years after that Sammy got blown up by a car bomb!

Harold has since passed, I miss his stories! RIP Harold.

Eric Eis
03-29-2011, 10:28 AM
You guys sure do paint with a broad brush when it comes "are thing" I bet all you guys watch the Soprano's also.

Ok I must be slow..... not sure what you mean Mark, guess I must be confussed.

Dean Romig
03-29-2011, 10:15 PM
I claim ignorance Mark - please educate me on the meaning of "Omerta".