PDA

View Full Version : restoring a DH 12.

james van blaricum
02-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I have aquired a DH two barrel 12 ga. I have been after this gun for several years and have finally got it. The gun has set in the corner of this gentelmans
living room and has not be fired for ages. After having sometime to look it over
I have found the following;

1. all the serial #'s match, the damascus barrels are different, one is the standared damascus pattern, the second barrel is a twist.
2. the standard barrels have been cut to 20 in. the second set (twist) and no
information as to why.
3. the dolls head on the uncut barrels are bent and the barrels do not come together well.
4.the safety does not function .

the gun is in pretty good condition other wise. I understand that taking the stock off and working on the safety is a night mare. I am also wondering about having the dolls head heated and straighten so it fits better or can the dolls head
of the 20 in barrel and soldered to the other barrel. Who should I send this to.

Pictures will follow.

Francis Morin
02-27-2011, 12:18 AM
I have aquired a DH two barrel 12 ga. I have been after this gun for several years and have finally got it. The gun has set in the corner of this gentelmans
living room and has not be fired for ages. After having sometime to look it over
I have found the following;

1. all the serial #'s match, the damascus barrels are different, one is the standared damascus pattern, the second barrel is a twist.
2. the standard barrels have been cut to 20 in. the second set (twist) and no
information as to why.
3. the dolls head on the uncut barrels are bent and the barrels do not come together well.
4.the safety does not function .

the gun is in pretty good condition other wise. I understand that taking the stock off and working on the safety is a night mare. I am also wondering about having the dolls head heated and straighten so it fits better or can the dolls head
of the 20 in barrel and soldered to the other barrel. Who should I send this to.

Pictures will follow.-- That does seem strange- the barrels will not mate to the breech because the doll's head extension is bent or twisted? Is there any apparent damage to the milled notch for the doll's head in the receiver? Heating and trying to straighten this part can be very tricky, too much heat and the solder holding the barrels may soften. If you mean the safety does not function, is it stuck in either the SAFE or forward (fire) position and will not move? You are in Pratt KS- close to Simmons in Olathe? Perhaps other members can suggest other local qualified Parker men in your area- I have a background in machine shop and welding/fabrication- I am very curious to see the fotos once you are ready, as how normal opening and closing of a Parker could cause this apparent doll's head fit problem is a mystery- And speaking of fotos, I saw yours in current Parker Pages- nice pheasant hunt, and good to see all the blaze orange being worn-:bigbye::bigbye:

Bruce Day
02-27-2011, 09:59 AM
Brad Batchelder, Van, is my recommendation. Remember I looked at the gun and opined that the factory replacement twist barrels had likely been dropped on the rib extension because it was bent. I think it will take some heating, twisting and filing and too much heat will cause the extension solder to melt. They can fix the safety at the same time, but you might try running a lot of Rem Action cleaner through it first to see if that frees it. It was frozen in place.

Francis Morin
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Brad Batchelder, Van, is my recommendation. Remember I looked at the gun and opined that the factory replacement twist barrels had likely been dropped on the rib extension because it was bent. I think it will take some heating, twisting and filing and too much heat will cause the extension solder to melt. They can fix the safety at the same time, but you might try running a lot of Rem Action cleaner through it first to see if that frees it. It was frozen in place.--Brad is a personal friend, hunting partner at FruitRidge Farms, and is a master gunsmith. I have seen some of his work on double gun restoration- A plus all the way. Will you try to replace the set of barrels that was cut down to 20"? :crying::crying::bigbye:

james van blaricum
02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for advice, I am sending some pictures. Really if I can shoot this gun maybe it won't need to have anything done. The only thing is that it is hard to open. The safety is loose and slipps up and down without catching.
Now if I can figure out how to get the pictures on here we are in business. Bruce, son john got a setter pup and is really having a great time. He flew to
Kentucky and picked it up. He really appreciated the advice you and Charlie gave him.

Van

Bruce Day
02-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Here is your DH 12 Van.

Glad to hear about the puppy. Just don't let John Dunkle ruin it.

james van blaricum
02-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks Bruce! My daughter in Law won't let me near the dog. I have't been to KC for ages but next time I am we will have a coming out party. John said that
she is very smart and is pointing already. I am sorry, the files fails to transfer.

johnvanblaricum
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi Bruce, I'm just getting on this but thought I'd respond. The pup is coming along nicely - I look forward to running her with you guys' more experienced dogs. And no, my father is not allowed to spend too much time with her.

I got her from a guy in KY that Russ Leaming recommended last January when we were in Dodge. We went to a 4 day clinic in NW Mo in September (Perfection Kennels) and he really helped us both. She's grown big loves to work. If you are looking to get out, let me know.

jvb

Brian Dudley
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
How does the safety not work? What is it doing? Is it stuck on? Might just be gummed up and need cleaning or something.
The only real pain of working on the safeties is the fact that you have to go through the dissassembly and re-assembly process over and over until the work is done. That is if it needs some sort of adjustments made.
But if it is the original stock and all other parts are sound, it should work.

lee r moege
11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Doc Van: Since you are at Pratt you are close to JJ Perideaux at Champlins in Enid. You may be able to hand carry it to him for at least an opinion if not repairs. He is Belgian apprenticed ( Marcel Thys) and has worked on my stuff as well as for George Caswells inventory. Regards from one Kansan to another. Lee.