PDA

View Full Version : Tighten action

Buddy Marson
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Has any member used Bertram & Co. to tighten the action on a Parker. They will either replace the hinge pin or TIG weld the lug. Which method would be the best way to proceed? Any other gunsmith recommendations for this work would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Buddy

Don Kaas
08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
The hinge pin on a Parker usually has nothing to do with the gun being off face. The barrel lug bears on the roll joint. The pin is removed. The roll joint replaced or repaired and the barrels re-fitted. While TIG welding the the barrel hook is a well known way of restoring the surface of the barrel lug, the use of precision micro-welding techniques has gained a lot of favor lately. This equipment eliminates the possiblity of heat transfer to the barrels, deposits the minimum necessary amount of new material and save a good deal of time when combined with purpose built jigs for the Parker Gun that aid in dressing and refitting the barrels. Other factors that also may come into play are loose fore end loops and the Parker replaceable bolt plate. Often, however, putting the barrels back on face on a Parker restores the bite of the bolt and moves the top lever to the desirable right hand position. My gunsmith Russ Bickel has used this method very successfully on any number of guns from numerous Parker (of mine and his own), Foxes, and even the Whitworth barrel set on my Purdey pigeon gun. It comes in very handy for fitting hammerless barrels on hammer Parkers too. Regretfully, Russ is going full steam performing these and other duties for some of the boys on this BBS in order to deliver the jobs to the Vintagers next month. Mr. Bertram has a good reputation as does Ken Eversull and Dewy Vicknair. I am sure one of them can get the job doen for you.

Dave Miles
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I have used Dewey for both fitting a set of barrels and tightening a gun.
I'm very happy with his work.
http://www.vicknairrestorations.com/index.html

Buddy Marson
08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Don, thanks for the reply. How may I contact Russ? Do you know if he will be attending the Vintagers? Hope to see you there.
Buddy

Buddy Marson
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Dave, thanks for replying. I plan to talk to Vick at the Vintagers in September and show him the gun. For me, deciding which gunsmith to use will be harder than fixing the problem!
Buddy

Dean Romig
08-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Buddy, I'll be meeting with Russ at the Vintager's to retrieve my 2-frame DH which he is putting back on-face as well as fitting an extra set of Damascus 2-frame barrels that "almost" fit the gun. He is using the original DH forend for both sets of barrels meaning he will be modifying/reshaping the forend lug on the Damascus barrels to the forend. I'm anticipating a very nice job from Russ and you're welcome to examine a good example of his work. Look me up at Pintail Point.

Dean

Don Kaas
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Russ (and I) are planning to be at the Vintagers on Saturday only. We are heading up to Quebec the next day for a week of duck hunting. Russ will also have along his beautiful flat ribbed, beavertail, single trigger BHE that he restocked to its original Monte Carlo pistol grip and cheekpiece factory specification- quite a stunning job.

Kevin McCormack
08-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Buddy, I had Ken Eversull down in LA perform this work on my 1891 Holland & Holland Royal Grade. The gun was quite loose and considerably off the face due to previous owners moronic practice of shooting 2 3/4" Wally World & other Big Box ""Duck and Pheasant" discount ammo - this with 2 1/2" chambers!

When the gun came back to me (2 weeks ahead of schedule), it was as tight as the day it was made. Ken offers a complete "retightening" package which attends to everything from the forend latch to the breech balls. I was most impressed with the workmanship, the turnaround time, and the price. I can recommend him highly, as of course I can Russ. Spend the money and have it done right the first time.

Austin W Hogan
08-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Buddy; before you do any repairs make sure the bolt moves freely, the bolt bite is clean, and the extractor/ejector move freely. A few powder grains, or some gooey residue in these places will make a solid gun act as if it were off face.
I look forward to seeing you at Pin Tail

Best, Austin

Buddy Marson
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Dean, I'll be sure to look you, Don, and Russ up at the Vintagers. I'll arrive on Thursday an be in and out of the Parker tent all weekend.
Buddy

Buddy Marson
08-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Kevin, he is on my short list. Thanks. I'll see you at the Vintagers.
Buddy

Buddy Marson
08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Austin, Thanks for your suggestion. I've looked at those items you listed and I am sure I have wear either in the hook or on the roll pin or both.
Buddy

Ross Goldsmith
08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Steve Bertram has done some work for me on English guns. He's knowlegable and very skilled. He's also quite helpful and responsive. He's my choice

Danny McHugh
08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Steve Bertram did my DH and did a great job! He's my choice!!:)