PDA

View Full Version : I have decided to stop shooting Parkers......

Destry L. Hoffard
08-13-2009, 09:16 PM
At least at geese anyway. I have found and purchased the ultimate goose killer, it says so right on the side.....

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/SuperRangeGooseGun.jpg

It's got a nice long barrel too.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/SuperRangeGooseGun2.jpg

Rich Anderson
08-13-2009, 09:36 PM
That will be the day...no Parkers in the blind yeah right:rotf:
I in fact will be taking the grade 3 hammer gun purchased from Mr. Kaas to the Goose fields this fall:shock:

Dean Romig
08-13-2009, 10:00 PM
What, and limit yourself to only one shot ?

C'mon now Destry . . . I don't think so.

Cute gun though. How long is the barrel?

Dave Suponski
08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Destry.That looks like an Iver Johnson. Is it?

Don Kaas
08-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Dez-(as our French Canadian guide calls the Big Man) a 36" Marlin bolt action Goose Gun...I saw a very nice one at Albrights...pity we both shoot left handed

Austin W Hogan
08-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Good Photo , Destry

Best, Austin

peter holden
08-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Destry.
Thats one ugly gun. I know of a WH Davenport single 8 with 36 inch barrell and 4 inch chamber. for sale at pantile vintage guns £950.
I prefer my front stuffing Wallis 8.
Pete.

Don Kaas
08-14-2009, 08:35 AM
My local gunshop here in SE Pennsylvania had a 36" Shattuck 8 bore single for the longest time. It was no thing of beauty either. But, it was a servicable 8 and sold for $500 eventually...

C Roger Giles
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Destry;
That gun could work wonders in the hands of a proctologist.
What arsenol is the supplier of ammo for that Howitzer?

Friend Roger

BTW keep that thing off of the gun rack I made for you, not near pretty enough

Destry L. Hoffard
08-14-2009, 03:12 PM
It does look like an Iver Johnson, but the only other markings on it are Model 1929.

It's a 3 inch 12 gauge, barrel is 36 inches.

I just bought it on a lark, the markings were too good to pass up.

DLH

P.S. to Don: Two different friends had those Marlin guns when I was growing up, one a 12 and the other a 10. I'd have had one long ago just for fun but the left handed thing sorta kills it.

Bob Brown
08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
The "Super Range Goose" was a trade name used by the J. Stevens Arms Company. This might be one of theirs. The "Super Goose 10" was a model of Marlin shotguns.

Destry L. Hoffard
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Darn, I was really hoping for Iver Johnson for some reason. Well Stevens was always the family arm so I suppose that's fitting.

D

John Dunkle
08-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, yes.. Iver Johnson is certainly - and clearly better - than a Stevens..

*Cough, cough...*

(Sorry - just had something stuck in my throat...) ;)

BTW - doing Pheasant on the grill tonight... They are marinading in the fridge as I type this.. Sorry for the short notice - but, want to come by for dinner??? I'd ask Dean, or Dave, or Bob, or Scott or Robin, or..??... But - they might actually show up... :eek:

JD

Dave Suponski
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
John...Would you please answer your door! I have been sitting out here quite a while now :cuss:

Robin Lewis
08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I was just sitting here wondering where I could go on the Harley...... good idea! See ya soon. It is a nice evening for a ride.

John Dunkle
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Well - the grill is up... Here we go! As well - I'll post the recipe if it's any good. Jen will be the judge of that, OK?? Also - Dave and Robin? Just come on in..!! I'm doing two pheasants "on the Barbie" - so you guys are more than welcome!!

JD

John Dunkle
08-14-2009, 09:25 PM
.... I'm doing two pheasants "on the Barbie"..

And here is what they look like - BEFORE we ate them... Dang good...

;)

JD

Dean Romig
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh gosh! Not the fine china! When Robin shows up on his Harley that pretty stuff will shatter from the thunderous roar of his pipes like a well-hit clay. Heck, my neighbors are still trying to get me to pay for their windows from Robin's last visit here.

Hey John, where'd you buy them fezzants?

. . . shot 'em? I dunno John, that story is gettin pretty old :nono:

John Dunkle
08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
....Hey John, where'd you buy them fezzants?

. . . shot 'em? I dunno John, that story is gettin pretty old :nono: Well - since you asked... Here is the REST OF THE STORY....

Went to Kansas last year. I was feeling pretty good about the whole thing. You know the feeling...? Well - first time to Kansas. Or the MidWest. Something pulled me out there. Something in my head - a little voice saying "you can shoot them fezzants with a Parka.."...

I listened to that little voice in my head... I heard the voice. The call - the Call of the Wild. The Fezzant call... The call of the beguiled...

So I went to kansas. I made the trip. Heard the voice.. Had me a Parka.. Had me some shells. The voice was louder... "You can shoot those birds.."...

False promises... That voice. Those words....

I spent 15 days in the field. No food. No water. No dog. Just a voice and my Parka and one shell. I figured it was "me" against the fezzants. And that voice... Saying - "You kin shoot them Fezzants, Johnny..."

To make a long story short - I saw a fezzant... I tracked that fezzant. I was on all fours scenting that fezzant - Parka in hand with one shell. I pointed that fezzant when I saw it.. And when I did - that fezzant busted. Straight up. Right up - and the voice said "Shoot - shoot now!!!" - but my Parka wasn't loaded with that one shell. So I reeled about - twisted up - like a pitcher in the National League going after the Stanley Cup in the World Series - and I hucked that shell at the fezzant..

And I missed...

And the voice sez - "don't you worry - I can get you a fezzant..".. And I listened....

Later that day - I hitch-hicked back to town on the back of a dairy truck - just me and my Parka - and so begins the saga of how I got this fezzant.... The one I cooked up tonight.....

Here is that story........

Walking around town after hitch hiking back on the back of a dairy truck - Parka in hand - some guy walks up and sez "Hey Mist'a - I like your Parka". I sez - "Yep - it's a mighty fine Parka"... He looks it over - it's his size - and large Parka in blue. As for me - I don't like that Parka - is it didn't shoot worth a damn.. So I says to the man - that man who was wearing the sunglasses and peering out of the doorway as I walked past with my Parka - I sez "It's a pleasant Parka"...

So - he was confused by what I sed - as I sez "pleasant" Parka. He thought I sed "Fezzant Parka"... So he sez to me - "OK - it's a deal..."

I got a fezzant in place of a pleasant Parka...

I like the fezzant a lot better than the Parka...

I was good with that...

And if you ever hunt in Kansas - remember this story...

People in Kansas are crazy about Parkas... Bring a few Parkas and you will be guaranteed a few fezzants... And if you see a guy with sunglasses, hanging out in a doorway with a blue Parka?

Say Hi for me, OK?

And that is the fezzant I grilled up tonight. It was as good as this post... Whatever that means...

;)

John

Dean Romig
08-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Now that I believe!!

It looks delicious. I never thought of grilling it wrapped in Bacon. Pretty good idea, how was it?

Destry L. Hoffard
08-15-2009, 04:59 AM
That's a dumb question Dean, anything is good wrapped in bacon!!!!

DLH

John Dunkle
08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
...anything is good wrapped in bacon!!!______ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm with Destry!!! :bowdown:

As well - fix up a marinade with olive oil, brown suger, lemon juice & whatever spices "float your boat" - and put the bird/marinade into a ziplock bag in the fridge for a day. As well - use a fork to put a lot of little holes in the meat so the marinade can soak in.. Every few hours - shake the bag to re-mix... Grill on low heat and don't overcook.. Turns out moist. I served the pheasant on grilled camp bread with cold rice & beans..

Dean Romig
08-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Destry, that's like my oft-used quip "Jack Daniels goes well with anything"

Derrick Stewart
08-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Desrty,

That's an awful long gun. With the barrel being so long it surely won't fit in the sink boat and you will have to find a field with corn about 8 ft tall. If not the geese will see you from a mile away.

Bill Murphy
08-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Destry, your new gun is a piece of work. For your information, it does not seem to be a Model 1900 H&R. The sculpting of the receiver and the pin placement are nothing like my 10 gauge 3 1/2" Model 1900. My gun is not happy being shot with 3 1/2" shells. I tricked a fellow into firing a few one time and the gun came open on every shot. The gun is about new, so it isn't worn. One of the gun houses sold a bunch of these old H&Rs back in the fifties or sixties advertised as ten gauge magnums. They were probably bought from H&R when they discontinued ten gauges and bored them out for long shells. My gun is nice, but only for 2 7/8" shells. The barrel is extremely thick, but the locking bolt is not up to the job.

Destry L. Hoffard
08-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Bill,

A friend had a later model of that same gun when we were growing up, used it to pass shooting geese off the railroad track that border the refuge. You could shoot the long shells through it but it was pure punishment. The gun seemed heavy but it wasn't heavy enough. The barrel walls were so thick I think you could have bored it out to 8 gauge.

Destry

james van blaricum
08-15-2009, 10:18 PM
I saw one of those long barrel things driven in the ground with an insulator attached and was being use as a electric fence post. The action still worked.JVB

Jay Gardner
08-16-2009, 11:25 AM
What, and limit yourself to only one shot ?

C'mon now Destry . . . I don't think so.

Cute gun though. How long is the barrel?

Easy fix: buy two and duct-tape them together.

Destry L. Hoffard
08-16-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm already looking for another one......

DLH

charlie cleveland
08-21-2009, 11:59 PM
read destrys line and decided to buy me one of them there guns that will killem as long as you can seem . got on sold usa and found one of them there guns know that it was for me cause it said goose gun in the riteup bout it.i bid high were that destry wouldnt get interested you know what igot a call from them there people said i had bought that there goose killer.wooie was i excited. got that there goose killing machine home yesterday them folks at ups brought it all most to my door. when i seen how long that package was i says to my self ive bought the goose killer that every hunter dreams of. it took me 30 minutes to cut my way through all of that there tape and paper . i can tell you folks that them there people at sold usa can sure wrap a package there wrapings are sure something.when i pulled thatthat long slender fine long barreled gun out of the box my old eyes liked to have went out. never had i seen such a goose killer as this before. now igot me one of them there destry specials . not all of the story yet but about bed time here .good hunting to nite all you possum hunters. ha charlie

charlie cleveland
08-23-2009, 09:36 PM
well less see were this story begins . iwas amazedat that long barrel i got my yard stick and measured that thing andit was40 inches of cold blue steel. had the longest barrel on gun i ever did have you know the story about the longer the barrel the futher it will shoot. well i couldnt wait to shoot this thing finally decided to shoot low power shells in this goose gun no need to waist them expensive shells when you got such agun as this i says to my self. well igot my targets set up 2 docter pepper cans boy them things can take a lot of lead. well after shotting them cans 5 times i said i probably wont be able to count the holes in them there cans. sure enough i couldnt count them cause there wasnt a hole in them cans..now im shotting at 50 steps isays i must be to close . you know these things shoot like a rifle. so i put them cans out to 75 steps. figured this was about rite. shot 3 times this time still no holes.well isays maybe she dont like them low power shells . every body knows that you have to have keep shooting till you have found the shell that patterns best in your gun. wentin the house got some of those 1 1/2 ounces magnums.sure enough goose killing shells.well i only shot 1 time still no holes.as for rite now havent found shell that patterns well yet or maybe i need to scoot target out to 100 steps .well getting dark cant see can will start shooting again when sun comes.good nite to all charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd say that's a turkey shoot gun Charlie, lots of the old timers bent the barrels so they didn't shoot straight. Down at home, in a turkey shoot, you had to put your gun out and make it available for anybody to use. They'd work them over to where they didn't shoot at point of aim so only the owner of the gun knew where to hold it. Put on a big sheet of pattern paper and figure out where it's hitting.

Destry

Kurt Densmore
08-25-2009, 01:01 PM
boy Charlie, you is funny.....I can't wait for installment #3...:rotf:

I had an interesting conversation with an old trap shooter a few weeks ago. He said that he can remember his dad and his dads trap shooting buddies going out to the parking lot and bending the barrel on the car bumber :shock:

kurt

Don Kaas
08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Very common among (pre-O/U) trap and pigeon shooters, the less adventurous do them in the shop on the table of a milling machine. Like stock bending, one has to crank them past the point you are seeking as they spring back a bit...or so I'm told...I don't like to be there when the do it to one of mine.:eek:

charlie cleveland
08-25-2009, 11:18 PM
boys wife said yard needed bush hogging so i started early and finnished late. maybe get to shoot that old goose killer tommorrow. i may have to get some of you boys that know how to bend them there barrels to show me how. ive bent a lot car fenders but dont know much about bendinggoose gun s. got go think i hear old blue treed charlie