PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Mec 600 JR

John Clement
02-20-2011, 10:27 PM
So I finally got started trying to load some shells for my 16 gauge Parker. I have 3 old Mec 600 JR's, a 12, a 20, and now a 16. The 12 and 20 are straight from the factory years ago, and have always loaded perfectly.

The 16 I bought recently off EBay. It looks fine, but I am running into some major problems with crimping. This is on new cheddite 2 3/4 shells, dr 16 wads, 7/8 Oz of shot, and 16.3 grains of International.

I have tried adjusting according to Mec's instructions, but I am unable to get the crimp to close fully without crushing the case. It is as if the crimping ram inside the final crimper will not go down onto the middle of the crimp. I have tried dumping out a little shot just to see if the shell is overloaded, but that isn't the problem.

When I run my 20 gauge loader, one with the old steel crimper, when you get nearly to the bottom, the cam sort of releases the ram so that the body of the crimper moves up, allowing the ram to press into the center of the crimp causing a flat crimp with a little rim. On this 16, that does not happen no matter how I adjust the hieght, or the cam - weird. The Body simply can't slip upward to allow the ram to go down that extra 1/4 inch or so. This machine is a pre 82, but has the newer plastic pre crimp and crimp stations.

Anyway, I'm not sure this will make sense without seeing it. I just thought I would see if anyone had ever run into something similar.

Thanks,

John Clement

John Clement
02-20-2011, 11:15 PM
The more I look at this thing, what I notice is that the point of the cam never moves behind the cam roller allowing the crimper to rise and the plunger to plunge. It is physically impossible for it to do so. Is suspect that either the cam, or more likely the crimper is from some other model.

Pete Lester
02-21-2011, 05:10 AM
MEC reloaders are great.

You can order any replacement part you need directly from MEC so you should be able to get the right crimper for your 600jr. Just be sure to order the part for the correct vintage 600jr as they have three models; pre '82, '82-'85 and the current Mark 5.

http://www.mecreloaders.com/ProductLine/Product.asp

Chuck Bishop
02-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Call MEC and talk to them. They have always been great to talk to and they should be able to diagnose your problem and guide you through the fix.

charlie cleveland
02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
have you tried differant brand of hulls...i have a mec. junior 12 ga and some hulls it does not like....charlie

Dave Purnell
02-21-2011, 10:30 AM
John, When you say the cam doesn't engage it sounds like the same problem I had with a 600 .410 when I tried to convert it from 2 1/2" to 3". And being that you got it on ebay, you don't know how it was previously used. The cam crimp assembly has the cam roller and a pin with two positions for the pin and roller. try driving out the pin and reinserting it in the other position. For whatever reason, this made all the difference on mine.

Dave

John Clement
02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks everybody. It was a no brained, but I had no brain so... The whole loader was set up a half inch too low. In going over everything with MEC, it became evident that it was set for a 2 1/4 inch shell - never even heard of that. As soon as I raised it, and reset the cam and plunger, it worked perfectly. So I finally have some new low recoil shells loaded - too bad it's going to snow for a week now.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

John Clement
02-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Kent, yes, exactly. It was bolted in the bottom hole of the red stand, which is correct, but the top hole on the black column instead of the bottom one. This made it a full half inch too short. I had not even thought of that, because I always shoot 2 3/4, so have never readjusted the height of my loaders. As you can imagine, it makes a significant difference. This is exactly what it felt like, but I never thought that it might be the actual problem.

Oh well, it works now.

Richard Flanders
02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
I'd be keeping an eye out for the original steel crimper also. I have 4 newer MEC's and a vintage 650 and that old 650 works far smoother and is more reliable than any of the newer plastic ones. I covet that old press and have it set up for STS hulls only. It has never missed a beat in any way and any part I need is still available.

John Clement
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Agreed. This is an older press, but has the new plastic parts in positions 3 and 4. I actually have the steel eight point starter for it, but had to buy a new one because I didn't get the six point starter with it. I don't care for the new stuff much.

Cal Lego
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
I found that just dwelling a little longer on the crimp starter stage puts the crimp "pie slices" down a little lower and I don't get near the ones that need wax to close up that little shot leaking hole. That Mec 600 Jr. is one shell loading machine. Some shells give better crimps than others it seems or I just don't kow how to do it right.

Dave Suponski
02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
The only shells I have to be carefull of on my Mec Jr. are the 16 gauge. As I use the Remington black hull and they vary in length so if I am not carefull the long hulls will have a weep hole in the crimp. If I just don't come full stroke on the final crimp they are fine. Just a matter of "Feel"

John Clement
02-27-2011, 10:11 PM
On these Cheddites, they seem to be crimping fine - no holes or other problems. But some of them want to open up a little bit again over time. They don't seem over full, I think it is just because they are brand new. I might move the starter down a little. I'm getting a good solid 6 point with no swirls or holes.

Anyone know if I could be doing these with an 8 point crimp? I tend to like them better. I just thought 6 points on a brand new shell might work better.

johncranack
07-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I had the same problem with my Mec 600 jr when i started. My dad was expert, he simply solved my problems. It was really a nice sharing. Thanks for posting.