PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nash Buckingham Volume

Ed Blake
02-18-2011, 01:55 PM
At lunch today I picked up a slim volume published by Charles Scribner in 1941 of "De Shootinest Gent'man". I've never seen or heard of this volume. There is a short story of how NB came to know Harold Money. Neat little book.

Harry Collins
02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Ed,

I have a copy of that as well. Nash Buckingham is my favorite. Most of the "new" gun writers are trying to sell or endorse something. I don't remember feeling that way when reading Buckingham.

Harry

charlie cleveland
02-18-2011, 08:33 PM
i bet thats a good book.. will have to find and read it some time.... charlie

Linn Matthews
02-21-2011, 06:49 PM
You might check on Albris.com re the value of your book. Some of the original Derrydale Books are quite valuable.

Dean Romig
02-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Some of the original Derrydale Books are quite valuable.

Very true.

"De Shootinest Gentman" (1934) is the blue one and "Mark Right" (1936) is the red one.

The Preface is from "Mark Right".

Dave Noreen
02-25-2011, 09:52 PM
That Harold Money chapter, Recessional, in the slim 1941 Scribners edition of De Shootinest Gent'man has cost me hundreds of hours of Harold Money and the Money family in general research. Actually Harold's older brother Noel E. Money has proved to have had a far more interesting life.

Old Nash's memory wasn't quite right on that shoot in Fordyce, Arkansas. On April 17 and 18, 1907, Harold shot a tournament reported from Camden, Arkansas, which looks in my Rand McNally to be 33 miles southwest of Fordyce. Nash coming down from Memphis may have passed through Fordyce on the way. Harold led the tournament with 194 out of 200 the first day and 192 out of 200 the second. He also had a run of 128 straight. This is the only shoot in Arkansas I have found Harold reported shooting in. I found his complete records for 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907 and 1908.

Harold again shot in a two day shoot at Camden, Arkansas, on May 11 and 12, 1910. The reporter stated in a great sentence “Harold Money got away to a bad start the first day, losing five out of the second event, which virtually put him out of the race, but he kept breaking them in such a manner that he was in the running until the second to the last event on the second day when he again dropped five, and, of course, that was too “many.””

Sporting Life for May 18, 1912, published the following note “According to a letter which Ed Banks recently received from Captain Money, who is living in England, the veteran is thoroughly enjoying life. Harold Money is in charge of a rubber plantation in Ceylon, while Noel Money is living in Herefordshire, in England, and shooting considerably.”

Ed Blake
02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Like many of the guys Nash ran with, Cap't Money was an interested character. Charisma will do that for you. Is "Recessional" found in any of NB's other works?

Dave Noreen
02-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I don't find "Recessional" in any of the other Nash Buckingham books I have.

P.S. From my research through original period material, just about everything George "Bird" Exans wrote about Harold Money in The Best of Nash Buckingham is wrong!!

Bill Murphy
02-27-2011, 10:46 AM
If you read between the lines in Evans' comments on Buckingham, you will realize that their meetings were few and brief.