PDA

View Full Version : looking for input on shotgun

Dave Hollis
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi,

My Dad has a late 1800's 10 gauge double-barrel shotgun. Seems in nice shape - I'd be interested in any info or comments on it. I tried to get some good pics in outside light - some are better than others.

I originally posted this in the General forum, and a gentleman (George) suggested I post here.

I also was told by a gentleman (Bob) the following info on the gun (serial #26587): Grade 0 with Plain Twist barrels, Top action, no extras, capped pistol grip, 10 ga. with 30" barrels

If there are particular pics that would help please let me know.

see this link for pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/dhollis12/ParkerBrothersShotgun?authkey=Gv1sRgCLWrua7t77X8Lw&feat=directlink

Thanks!

Dave

Harry Collins
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Dave,

It looks like a well used and kept Parker. I have not seen a Parker butt plate that looks like the one on your Dads gun. If I had to put a value on it I would go in the $500 to $1,000 range. If it has not been messed with (ie: bores refreshed by honing) and it is still on face it would make a great shooter with appropriate loads. I would go with www.rstshells.com 1 1/8 oz loads.

harry

Mark Ouellette
02-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Dave,

I agree with Harry on the value.

I love shooting the big 10 gauges but often do so with low pressure 12 gauge ammo and Gauge Mates chamber reducers. A 7/8 ounce 12 gauge load at what would generate 6000 psi in a 12 gauge (less in a 10 due to larger volume of the bore) will break skeet and many sporting clays targets surprising well.

Before and during larger shoots like the UP Classic I load and shoot 1 1/8 ounce low pressure 10 gauge in hulls trimmed to 2 7/8" long. I don't open the chokes on my 10 gauge guns. I do however use the BPI spreader "X" inserts for those in your face targets.

If you purchase rather than load low pressure ammo RST and New Era Ammunition (presently 10's are only available from RST) are both excellent. If you need low pressure loading data for 10 gauge send me a PM with your email.

Mark

Harry Collins
02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Mark,

I tried to reload the X and never figured it out. What's your process. I do reload the SpredR disc by Polywad and find it to be very user friendly and quick. After I drop the shot I use the shot drop tube to push the disc into the shot. I tried to do this with the X and just made a mess of every thing including my mind.

Dave,

Mark is spot on about using spreader loads in the tightly choked old guns. I don't bother in the .410 and 28, but everything else from 16 to 10 is fed a spreader shell.

Harry

Mark Ouellette
02-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Harry,

Sometimes I have to remove the shell from the reloader's shell holder to insert the spreader X with my finger. The X wedges into the shot tube of my MEC Grabber. It is a mess!

In 12 gauge the X's worked so much better than did the SpredR Discs that I never tried them in 10 gauge.

Mark

Carl Brandt
02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
If you are using the Ballistic Products wad with the "x" center post, BP recommends using the MEC "Steel Shot" rammer tube which is larger in inside diameter.

Frank Cronin
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I've used the Polywad spreader disk inserts with great success on my tight choked guns. I have also read about people using a soda straw placed in the center of the wad. Anyone have any luck with this? Does it work?