PDA

View Full Version : OP Parker Books- fair price??

Francis Morin
02-13-2011, 08:23 AM
A PGCA member recently contacted me regarding a later (SN 223xxx) 12 Gauge Trojan receiver I have with the hammers, top lever, etc- with the possible view towards buying some or all of the components for his Parker parts projects--

I have the Numrich schematic, went there and listed all the parts and the Numrich code and prices, whether they were sold out or in stock--

But I also noticed they listed the now late Ed Muderlak's book "Parker Guns- The Old Reliable" at $66.70, and that made me wonder. If this gentleman wants the Trojan parts, I want to price them fairly, allowing for the law of supply and demand- I have a MINT copy of that same book in DJ- second ed. and inside the fly-leaf it is priced $49.95-- Would it seem that Numrich has a first or signed ed. to command that higher price?

Are they parts they offer for sale for Parkers, L.C. Smiths, etc- all older original parts? I had read that some of the parts from the Japanese mfg. Reproduction Parkers would fit older Meriden mfg. Parkers? Is this true?:bigbye:

Dean Romig
02-13-2011, 10:17 AM
Francis, go to abe.com (American Book Exchange) and look for the same book to get an idea what is a fair price. I almost always check ABE before buying a book anywhere on the web.

Dean

David Holes
02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
The parts I picked up from them for a trojan 16 were all older original parts. I was thinking they partout old tired guns if they can purchase them. I was happy they had parts as I could not find elsewhere.

Francis Morin
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
[quote=Dean Romig;35526]Francis, go to abe.com (American Book Exchange) and look for the same book to get an idea what is a fair price. I almost always check ABE before buying a book anywhere on the web.

Which is why I priced my MINT second ed. copy of EDM's book at$45.00, and not $66.95, or any point of demarcation between= I have used Abe's books, and Amazonfor pricing- but Abe was NOT my bookie last week when I picked Da Pack, both to win, and to beat the spread. Gotta love GB--Vince L.would be proud!!:whistle::whistle:

Destry L. Hoffard
02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
There are 20 copies available on AbeBooks for $30.99 plus $3.49 shipping.

Francis Morin
02-14-2011, 04:15 PM
That is indeed a puzzlement. I went to abebooks.com, as you allegedly did, and my copy that is for sale here on the PGCA site forum is as follows: Safari Press Muderlak, Ed Second Edition 1997 Long Beach CA ISBN 1-571157-310-0 and I did NOT see any second editions with DJ as mine listed. Numerich may have the 1st. edition, perhaps that is why they are asking $66.00 and change. I shall check Amazon and see what they have for Mr. Muderlak's second edition.

No one asked, but the reason I have this for sale to PGCA members only is that I also have a first edition. I thought, perhaps misguidedly, that since the esteemed Mr. Muderlak has passed away, along with Mr. McIntosh as well, alas, that a member might like to have a copy. Addendum: was finally able to log onto Amazon Books dot com- they have 3 new copies at $31.98. and possibly 10 used at $29.99- but they state only three in stock and do not differentiate between available new and available used. Also, their new editions are dated April 25, 2005 and my second edition is dated 1997. Not being a professional book dealer, I do not know if the first and second eds. are worth more, as in the Wm. Brophy L.C. Smith book, or not. Best move I feel is for me to withdraw this Muderlak book from the sale listing in our For Sale Section- keep this copy down in the gun room, and the first upstairs in the den-