PDA

View Full Version : New owner in NH

John Green
02-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey all!
So, great-grandad's two 12 ga Parkers have re-surfaced in the family. Since I'm the most gun inclined person I'm doing some research on them.

I've poked around on the site, run serial numbers etc; we have interest in seeing if the guns are safe to fire; both have 'Twist' barrels on 1 size frames and the serial #s place them manufactured in 1890 and 1895. I saw at least one of the two fired with modern ammo a few years ago, but I'd like to have someone take a look at them before we think about firing them again. Is there anyone in the New Hampshire area that would be recommended to check them over for safety, or is this a mail out job?

I've lightly oiled the metal bits, but any tips from those in the know on taking proper care of the wood?

If I wanted to give the internals a cleaning is it something I can take apart myself, or best left to a pro?

Thanks so much!

Dave Suponski
02-09-2011, 08:28 PM
John, We have some great members in NH. I am sure a few of them guys will jump in here to help ya out.

Dean Romig
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Dave, try Spellcheck.... :corn:

Seriously, Dave is right - there are several NH PGCA Members who would probably welcome the chance to look at your Parkers.

I'm sure some of them will "jimp" right in and "halp" :duck:

Dave Suponski
02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Dean, Why whatever do you mean?

E Robert Fabian
02-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi John NH, give me a call tomorrow or send me a email.
erfabian3@metrocast.net
330-0592
Cheers Bob

Dave Suponski
02-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Atta boy Bob......:bowdown:

John Green
02-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Bob, email headed your way in a few minutes.

Dave, do you shoot at MWSA? That trap field looks very familiar from back in my (recent) college days...

Dave Suponski
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
John, That picture was taken at MWSA this past New Years Day.Our New Hampshire guy's invite us up to shoot with them every year. It's a great day ...You should join us next year!

John Green
02-09-2011, 11:01 PM
I would be interested in joining next time round, thanks!

Pete Lester
02-10-2011, 05:42 AM
I didn't see this until this morning (yesterday I was in Ilion, imagine that). John where abouts are you located in NH? There are several knowledgable members in NH and (John Dunkle :rotf:). A few of us shoot at Major Waldon's on a regular basis and it would be an easy place to meet. There are also a couple of gunsmiths some of use who are familiar with doubleguns. PM me and I'll fill you in.

Pete Lester
02-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Welcome John, it's great to hear you have some family guns.

DO NOT put a screwdriver to your guns unless you have the proper tools and know what you are doing. Otherwise you risk ruining the screws. Stick to VERY light application of oil on the metal with a rag and some diluted murphys oil soap and rag on the wood. An old toothbrush will help get the years of crud out of the checkering.

John where abouts are you located in NH? There are several knowledgable members in NH (and John Dunkle :rotf:). A few of us shoot at Major Waldon's on a regular basis and it would be an easy place to meet. Bob and Scott could measure up your barrels. There are also a couple of gunsmiths some of use who are familiar with doubleguns. PM me and I'll fill you in.

I didn't see this until this morning (yesterday I was in Ilion, imagine that).

scott kittredge
02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
hi john, i live in barrington,you are more than welcome to stop over and i'll have a look at your guns to see what you have and try to get you started down the wright path. scott