PDA

View Full Version : 1883 colt shotgun

charlie cleveland
02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
i have a colt of this model that is in terific shape...32 inch barrels 10 ga hammerless probably a field grade gun...best looking old gun ive got...workmanship on these old guns is on par withany gun made in my opinion...what do you fellas think about the colt shotgun...charlie

Rich Anderson
02-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I have only seen one Colt shotgun. It was a damascuss 12 with some engraving and was in spectacular condition. This was while I was at Cabelas (:cuss:) and I couldn't find any information on it. It was definately a quality built gun.

Dean Romig
02-09-2011, 09:07 PM
I've never seen one Charlie - can you show us some pictures?

Robin Lewis
02-09-2011, 09:30 PM
I was in Dan Cullity's shop once and he had a Colt double on the bench and it was very impressive. Dan is a master gunsmith and I respect his opinion very much and he remarked that he thought Colt was one of the best American made doubles. He was familiar with the internal workings and I will take his word for the quality of design and craftsmanship. As for the look and feel, in my opinion, it was extremely well made; an impressive shotgun.

Since that day, I have been watching for Colt doubles; with an eye to obtain a similar gun as the one Dan had on his workbench. I have yet to see another, let alone one as nice?

charlie cleveland
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
in reading differant books several authers said that the 1883 colt was the most expensive shotgun to make in america...i think all were built withdamascus barrels i have never seen or read about one with fluid steel barrels...most gun books give a sad report on them saying remember these are strictly black powder guns i believe this is why some folks pass them by...but they are like the rest of older guns with proper loads they can be used and shot....charlie

Pete Lester
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I've never seen one Charlie - can you show us some pictures?

Looking at some pictures of some for sale like the one below that sold I would say what's not to like about them.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/946282194/Guns/Shotguns/Colt-Shotguns/Colt_1883_Hammerless_SXS_10GA_with_Factory_Letter. htm#

charlie cleveland
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
shes a beauty.. colt shotguns are fine as they come you will see more nice colts for sale at a cheaper pricein auctionsthan other guns...ive never understood this...ive only got the one nice colt i wish i could post pictures but thats something i guess i will never be able to learn much to my regret....charlie

E Robert Fabian
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Charlie if you have them on your computer send them to me I'll try and post them for you.
erfabian3@metrocast.net
Bob

charlie cleveland
02-11-2011, 05:54 PM
i do not have them on the computer but im in the process of kearning how to send pictures on computer...gonna have to buy me a differant camera where i can change trhe size of picture where they will send....im a slow learner but maybe i will get there

Dean Romig
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't think you'll need a different camera Charlie - you can change the picture size in your computer while you're in the process of loading it up to send.

charlie cleveland
02-11-2011, 06:19 PM
will look into that.. thanks for the info... charlie

Terry Hartmann
05-25-2011, 07:34 PM
I note with interest comments about the 1883 colt shotgun. All I can discover about it is that it is well made, in numerous grades, but was only made for 12 years. Much of the production was apparently custom made. I would be pleased if anyone could direct me to some learning about the colt, prices, serial numbers, and as it went out of production in 1895 I assume none of them were nitro proved. I have seen other Colt shotguns from an earlier period which were pretty obviously Birmingham manufactured guns with the Colt name on them. It is pretty clear that the 1883 model was an American design and Colt manufacture. Is there any Colt historical publication which details the 1883 model?

Ken Descovich
05-25-2011, 09:54 PM
If I did this right here is a picture of my 1883 up close.

Ken

Frank Cronin
05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Very nice Ken. What grade is it? Grade 3?

I'd love to add a nice graded Colt SxS to the stable.

calvin humburg
05-26-2011, 07:36 AM
A friend I went to Tulsa with bought a hammer 10 colt I'll get some pictures maybe today neet ol gun.

Ken Descovich
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I am not sure what grade the shotgun is. I have seen them more elaborate than mine.

Ken

Richard Flanders
05-26-2011, 01:03 PM
One of the guys who posts on our forum has a Colt damascus 2-bbl set gun that is absolutely stunning. He found it in a dust caked leather trunk case hiding under a table in an antique store of course and got it for a pittance if I remember correctly. It's near mint and absolutely gorgeous.

charlie cleveland
05-26-2011, 10:43 PM
very nice colt got some nice engraving too.. jent you said that the 83 colts stocks had a lot of drop mine is stocked like any modern gun ...but ive not seen to many of the guns so maybe there is a lot of drop in most of them.... charlie