PDA

View Full Version : This thread is about dog's

Jack Johnson
08-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Being an avid dog person I always enjoy the posts that include the posters hunting partner in the story. I read with interest and loved the pics in the previous thread of the new puppies. I like seeing the varied bird dogs which this forum tends to lean toward. I have seen Setters, Spaniels , Boykins , Short Haired pointers, etc. I am a Lab person and have hunted upland birds in Sd , Neb and Kansas . I have waterfowled with my dogs from Reel foot to Stuttgart . If you interested show some pics of your hunting partners . Here are a few of mine.

Bruce Day
08-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Jack, good pictures. I used a Lab and pointer together until my Lab died a couple years back. The Lab was good at hunting dead and trailing and would wait until she saw that the pointer had birds.

I have a CHE 16ga from 1904 that was originally damascus and was also sent back in the late 1930's to Remington for fluid steel barrels. Of course I wish I had the original damascus barrels but there are stories of Remington destroying lots of damascus barrels. Sounds to be the same situation with your Parker.

I see you are in Fayetteville. My uncle retired from the chemistry dept at the U. of Arkansas. He lived in a Fay Jones designed house on a hilltop just outside Fayetteville for many years until moving in a nursing home.

John Dunkle
08-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Awesome thread, Jack! Thanks for posting it up! As well - great puppies and terrific pictures....! Ok to introduce another breed - the first set is a French Brittany. It's an interesting story behind her. I'm part of the National Brittany Rescue (NBRAN) and help out with fostering, home visits, transports, etc. Last winter I got a call that a "Springer Spaniel" in a kill shelter was going to be put down after being brought in by a good Samaritan who fed the dog as she was loose in their neighborhood in sub-freezing weather for they guessed "about a week or two" ... As well - they sent a picture...

Well - obviously - she is a French Brit - high on energy and was evaluated by the shelter as "ditzy", aggressive, and untrained. So - I figured I'd take her in to evaluate her and see if she could be brought around - and then find her a good home... Hmmm - and they were right about one thing - she was totally untrained at what we guess was about 8-9 months of age - and was wildly underweight - as she was then about 18 pounds (and today, she is 29 pounds).

So - after about 4 months of "fostering" and training 3 times a day 7 days a week on the "basics" - on a "hunch" -tried to begin field training on birds....

Well - I found her a permanent home.. With Jen, myself, my American Brit, one cat and three Conures. I named her Briahna when I picked her up - and after the past many months of field training - is on birds like "stink in a cow barn in mid-summer"..

First two are on-point (tall grass and the 2nd is pointing a quail under the pine she is in front of.)...

Dave Miles
08-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I'll post a couple. :)

Bruce Day
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
John, several years ago out in central Kansas I ran into a fellow from Indiana who was a big French Brittany breeder. He had five of them with him and hunted all at once. It was something to see with all those high energy dogs bouncing up and down to see over the tall grass. They were small and you could not see them in the grass until they jumped up to see where they were. So you would see nothing except heads bouncing up and down all around in front of him.

Dave Fuller
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's the look I get if I miss...

John Dunkle
08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
:rotf:
____________ :rotf:
_________________________ :rotf:

Outstanding!!

As well, Bruce - it's funny you say that.. I had someone from NH ask if I could help field train their Brittany - and asked for a short video of what it's like. Since they aren't hunters - I sent them a 30 second clip from my iPhone of Briahna working in tall grass... Of course - all they saw was her head bob-up once above the grass... So - she called me to thank me for my video but asked - "why does your dog only lie in the field - and she only got up once"?? I had to explain it - after a few chuckles ;)

And here is my other Brit. Had him since 8 weeks and he's wonderful in the field as well. But - he's a traitor - I think he likes Jen more nowadays...

Jack Johnson
08-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Bruce's story of the " Bouncing French Brittney's" reminded me of a story . I am involved in HRC and AKC retriever hunt tests and compete as well as judge. Not too long ago a handler brought a Boykin to the line at a test I was judging. Now to paint a picture of a hunt test there are common tasks in the three levels , started , seasoned and finished . That commonality is retrieving a sighted mark on land and water. Well the distance from the line to were the bird was thrown was about 60 yards in knee high cover. This would not be any problem for a Lab or a Chessie , but for a 25 to 30 lb Boykin. Well let me tell you , these little brown firecrackers may be small in stature but don't tell them. That little Boykin would run about ten steps bounce in the air to get her bearing and run some more until it got to where the bird was . She then established a hunt by smell and retrieved the bird . As I said I am a Lab guy but after that day I have a soft spot for Boykins .

Dave Fuller
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Spaniels are great duck dogs if its not too cold. My 35 pound springer will water retrieve all day long.

Dave Miles
08-11-2009, 04:44 PM
John,
You need to bring those Fancy French Brittany dogs to Michigan, and try them out on the elusive Grouse. :-)

John Dunkle
08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi Dave!

Wait-a-minute..? Is my phone bugged or sumthin'?? Actually - the other night, I was chatting with Eric about exactly that same idea..!??!

Honestly - it's something I would love to do - Grouse hunt in Northern MI so that evening I had Mapquest out trying to figure out drive times and distances... It would be a pleasure and honor to meet up with you and Eric this fall during the season.

My thanks!

John

Fred Preston
08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
A couple years ago at our yearly youth hunt I handled my old Elhew for one of the young shooters. That gave me a chance to take a few pics. First Ringo finds the bird for the young shooter; I flush it and the darn thing U turns for the pond. The youngster nails it over the pond and we kid him that he's going to have to swim for it; but, Ring who can swim like a Lab makes the fetch. Ring is 13 now so I brought on a young Elhew (Pete) and all that did was to get Ring to work harder. I hope it's not too hard on the old boy, but he sure doesn't want to go down as a porch hound.

Destry L. Hoffard
08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Good stuff boys, particularly with the water work.

Destry

Gill Frye
08-11-2009, 05:45 PM
My dog ( the one over here on the left ) is a great deer retriever. A couple of years ago we had a wounded buck in our pond and ole Rex here went out and drowned the buck and brought him to shore, darnedest thing I've ever seen. Needless to say we had some good eating that night.

Bruce Day
08-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Dave, if you and Eric are thinking about having John out to Michigan to hunt grouse, better look at this picture of what happened to a small Kansas town when John kept missing shots on pheasant.

John Dunkle
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Bruce.....

That was ONLY ONE DAY I did all that damage... And damn - the wind was a bit hefty that same day...

Anyone up for a hunt??

;)

HEH!!!

JD

Jack Johnson
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Yea we do water work but we got a little upland game going too

Dave Miles
08-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Dave, if you and Eric are thinking about having John out to Michigan to hunt grouse, better look at this picture of what happened to a small Kansas town when John kept missing shots on pheasant.

Bruce,
We will limit him to two shells per day.
That should keep the damage to a minimum.:)

Kevin Origoni
08-11-2009, 10:21 PM
My Setter Sam. A rainy day point on a stone wall a few years ago. I'm slowly starting to put pics in my user profile album as I find time.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/setters4life/Sam3.jpg

John Dunkle
08-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I figured you folks would understand if I took a minute to brag about the training session today. You see - as I mentioned earlier, I fostered this French Brit (Epagneul Breton) who I got hooked up with through NBRAN (my thanks Anne!!) .. And after a year of training and about 5 months of field/bird training - it all came together today!! I'm like a "proud papa" - as the long days of work came together for her.. :)

Today - in an abandoned field, we planted 3 birds in the morning. This afternoon - with temps reaching about 90 degrees and a strong breeze, I didn't have much hope that the birds hadn't moved off a distance. Anyway - I started working the field with Briahana, knowing it would be a short session due to the heat & humidity... She was excellent, cutting back and forth, staying about 10-20 yards in front and working a swath about 40 yards across, and then would cut back. Wonderful.... If you train your own dogs - you know what I mean. In fact, I would have been pleased just to see her work in this fashion without a point...

About five minute later, while working this pattern - she locks on point. First bird... I quietly "whoa" her and make her hold for a minute or two. Then - I flush the bird and let it fly away... She holds till I call her off and start her working again...

Ten minutes later - she locks onto bird two. This time - make believe I can't find the bird (which is about 10-15 feet upwind) - and release her from her "whoa" to "easy forward"... She creeps up, halving the distance to the bird - and locks up again...

Bird three has wandered a bit (well - the length of the field!! :eek: ) and again - she locks up on point after a 15 minute cast back-and-forth...

I am thrilled.... But - shes done all that before... So why is today different?

We water and rest her for a bit, and during that time - Dave goes out and hefts a chucker into the overgrown weeds. I ask Dave to bring his shotgun - and let's see if we can't bring it all together. He agrees...

Off into the field again... About 15 minutes later - we are working those weeds - and Briahana locks up on point. I whoa her and Dave readies the shotgun. So - I step forward and flush the bird. Briahana holds point - while Dave downs the bird about 30 yards out. She holds after the bird comes down - looking at me like "OK - so what's next??".. I call "mark - fetch" - and BY GAWD - THAT DAWG FETCHES THE BIRD TO HAND..!!! She comes running back to me - bird in mouth - and puts it at my feet (I was too slow to take it from her mouth - as I was dumbfounded..)

Months and months of working on whoa - easy forward - working with blank pistols - fetching - mark - holding - all paid off.. Simply wonderful.. And if you do your own training - you know what I mean...

I am so damned proud of her... And to think - she was going to be put down by a shelter because someone "dumped" her in mid-winter in Maine.. And when I got her - she wasn't even house-broken nor had any training at all...

I am so proud of her - I could "burst"....

And oh - two pics from today - from the first point (Jen took these two as I was working with Briahana - first is on point - and second is me steadying her on whoa, but gives you an idea of her size. She is tiny...)...

John

Fred Preston
08-19-2009, 05:29 PM
John, That's sweet. I know how it feels when it all comes together. There's (almost) nothing better. Congrats for you and Briahana. Fred

Jay Gardner
08-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I have been looking forward to introducing the newest member to the family so here she is; Pinecoble Tess who has been with us for the past two weeks. What makes her truly special to me is her lineage. Two years ago we lost a beautiful setter named Feather to a tumor on her spine. She was 10 when we adopted her from the breeder and in the two years she was with us we grew to love that dog. The thought of her still brings a tear or two. Tess is a grandaughter of Feather and hence, very special to us.

It is pretty early to tell but I have a feeling that Tess is going to be a helluva grouse dog. Already birdy and bold, taking no guff from the older dogs. I am looking forward to introducing her to the grouse woods this fall but this year will all be fun and games.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/Doublegun_2006/Tess.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/Doublegun_2006/Tess2.jpg

Dean Romig
08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
For any of you who have not yet met John Dunkle I can only say I wish he had told us this story in person. If you think he seems excited here as you read his words, you should be in his presence when he tells a story. He is one of the most delightful, animated people I have had the pleasure to know.

John, I am so glad for you!

Mike Shepherd
08-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Here is my pack:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/AmarilloMike/Quail_January24_2008021.jpg

They are all French Brittanys.

This is my shooting student Joe Wood with Dubya (left) and Molly. Joe is the one in the middle. We took this on Joe's family ranch.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/AmarilloMike/SlatonJoeDubMollyTisdalLefeverFFeb2008/DSCF1610-1.jpg

Molly is 26 pounds and two and one half years old. She won a NSTRA field trial Memorial Day weekend.

Dubya is big for a French Brittany - 44 pounds.

Best,

Mike

Ben Yarian
08-19-2009, 11:48 PM
John, congratulations.. there is no better feeling in the world than to see a young dog bring it all together. I wish you many happy years with her.
Ben

John Dunkle
08-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi guys!

Fred, Dean and Ben - thank you for your comments! (As well - Dean - I turned over a new leaf..? I've decided to be "quiet, shy and reserved" from now on.. I'm not sure it will "take" - but, well.. ;) )...

As well.... Jay - congrats on adding Tess to your family!! :cheers:

And Mike??? If I'm not careful - that's what the back of my station could look like and I *AM* jealous!! Honestly - I really love working with my French Brit.. She is as wonderful in the house as she is in the field.. What a tremendous breed..! BTW - are you a breeder, by chance?? If so - maybe we can chat, OK??

My best to all and thanks again!

John

Mike Shepherd
08-21-2009, 09:49 AM
John all five of mine are house broken. Depending upon the mood of my wife we usually have three in the house with a couple living outside in the "doghouse" (after they have displeased the Alpha female). My friend David Mays says French Brittanys are "out of the box hunters" and I certainly agree with that.

I switched to French Birttanys eight years ago because of their house dog qualities. I found them to be excellent hunters and haven't regretted the change. And I think it is great that you rescued that beauty and she is living the life she was designed for. She looks a lot like my Belle, the second dog from the left in the pack lineup.

I am not a breeder. Most of my dogs are out of or from Fred Overby's kennels of Montana and Georgia or Glen Raef here in Amarillo. But I always like to talk about birddogs. I will try to PM you.

Best,

Mike

Pat Dugan
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Elizabeth on left Bridger on right Now 13 years 4 months. Both have cataracts, what are you experiences on having them removed? I was told that only the University of Ga. Vet School is the only one in Ga.,that will do it. Cost $1800 per eye

Dave Miles
09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Just thought I'd bring this back to the top.
Here's a couple pics of my new setter pup Sadie.
I hope to pick her up from Bill Bolyard next weekend.
She'll be in grouse camp the following weekend with two other setters, and a couple of those short haired GSP's. :rolleyes:

Destry L. Hoffard
09-03-2009, 04:06 PM
She's a fine looking girl Dave, one anybody would be proud to be seen with.

Destry

Jack Cronkhite
09-06-2009, 11:15 PM

This was the look I got from a now departed friend. He always did his part !!!