PDA

View Full Version : Chamberlin Cartridge & Target Company

Tom Taylor
02-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Anyone know the history,information or value on a 12 gauge Heike Hand Protector made for a double barrel 12 gauge with a patent date Feb 15, 1889
It appears to be made of Red Leather

THANKS

Drew Hause
02-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Rolla A. Heikes “The Great and Only” of Dayton, Ohio was the first industry representative, for the LeFever Gun Co. in 1885, but later switched to a L.C. Smith. In 1895-96, Heikes participated in 67 tournaments (despite having malaria in the summer of 1895) and was high gun in 60 using a Winchester 1893 Repeater.
He defeated Fred Gilbert in 1896 at the 2nd “E.C.” Cup for the title “Champion Inanimate Target Shot of the World” in New York and defeated Charles Grimm on Dec. 6 1897 for the Cast Iron Medal using the new Winchester 1897. He again beat Fred Gilbert for the “E. C.” Cup in Chicago, August 13, 1898, then successfully defended the Cast Iron Medal against Fred Gilbert at Eau Claire, Wis., in August and W.R. Elliston in Nashville in October.
In 1899 he used a Remington Hammerless to defeat E.D. Fulford for the “E.C.” Cup in January and won the Sportsmen’s Association Championship Trophy in the trapshooting tournament held on the roof of the Madison Square Garden in March.
He used a Parker at the 1900 GAH at Live Birds, then went back to his Remington to win the first Grand American at Clay Targets held at Interstate Park in New York City June 12-15, 1900. He was part of the victorious American team in the June 1901 Anglo-American Clay Bird Match also using a Parker.
He started 1902 shooting a Remington single trigger hammerless, then used a L.C. Smith to take 3rd in the last GAH at Live Birds in Kansas City.

More here http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfg2hmx7_337gqdvwccf

Destry L. Hoffard
02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
I know I've been looking for a 10 gauge size for a long time and never found one though I know they exist. They made them in 12 gauge and 16 gauge too, I've seen both and own a 12. Some say Chamberlin Cartridge and some just say Heikes Hand Protector. I'd say a nice 12 gauge one with a real clear bright marking could go in the $50 range if you caught somebody wanting one. Eric Eis had a very worn one on his table at this past gunshow and it sold for $15 I believe. They're a neat item.

Destry

Tom Taylor
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the great information
This one has both logos on it.
From what I could find the Chamberlin Company was bought out by Remington in 1932.
I looks great on my 1924 VH