PDA

View Full Version : Bob Allen.....

Destry L. Hoffard
02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Not really a hunting related thread, but it's at least about hunting clothes.

Back when I was doing my early waterfowling in Southern Illinois, anybody that had any money used the Bob Allen gear and clothing. You all remember the stuff, brown camo pattern designed for Ducks Unlimited by Maynard Reese. They stopped making it I believe in the late 80's.

I'd kind of forgotten about it till recently when I was clearing out my old bedroom at the folks place. Digging through the closet I found my guncase and gunners bag I'd always been so proud of. I didn't have the money back then to buy the stuff as it was pretty expensive. The bag was a gift from a guy I guided goose hunting and the case a miracle find for $5 at a small gunshop.

I remembered how I'd always wanted one of the jackets but just never could afford one. Finding that bag and guncase brought all that back so I started surfing eBay and other internet sites looking. Well last week one popped up for auction in a large enough size to fit my overlarge frame. I made a ridiculously large bid and thankfully didn't have to pay anything like that for it.

Silly I know, but after finding the bag and case I really remembered how much I wanted one as a kid. Well I've finally got it much after the fact!

The case just fits one of my big long 32 inch humpback guns and I've been carrying the bag for goose hunting. I never was big on camo but this pattern really has some class.

I know this gear is still out there stuck away in closets. Anybody else remember this stuff fondly or still have any they're using?

Regards,
Destry

charlie cleveland
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
glad you have found your long awaited duck hunting clothes...glad you got some that fit....some times we need to did through our old stuff to remember what we have and have not....i would like to have me one of those old red and black checkered deer hunting hats with ear muffs....charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Charlie,

Check out this site, they've got just the hat you're looking for:

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps/original-stormy-kromer-cap

Destry

Robert Rambler
02-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Here's another if you're really into stylin in the woods!:rotf:

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw-cap.60040.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=mens/hats-gloves&fmetaProduct=1011

Fred Preston
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
MH, Is this the camo pattern you mentioned? Found it at the bottom of the hat pile; an old Duxbak Jonsey. Kind'a looks like SOS.

charlie cleveland
02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
boy you fellas have fixed me up.. those hats look like 1930 40s 50 s 60s...gonna have to get me one...want i be in style....i wore wanna those hats hanging on that parker for many years and also wore one in the brown duck color...i know who to ask now when i need a hat...destrey you still got that old hat of yours..... charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Fred,

That's close but the Bob Allen pattern actually has the outlines of ducks mixed in with the regular camo splotches. What size is that one you show?

Charlie,

Of course! I'd never let my old hat get away from me. I only wear it for duck hunting now, and only on dry days. It's getting to the point I'm worried it's going to just fall apart.

The Filson hat is a nice one but real heavy, I've actually tried one on. The Kromer is a thinner wool so a little more all weather. I've got one of the Kromers in the marsh green color, just wore it to work today.

Destry

Fred Preston
02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
7&3/4 Fits ok, a little snug.

Destry L. Hoffard
02-09-2011, 01:28 PM
7 3/4 and it's a little snug?! You must have a head about like mine. That's my size, sometimes up to 7 7/8. My Kromer is 7 3/4 and fits pretty well.

If you wanna sell that Jones hat.....

Destry

Linn Matthews
02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Destry
Your story re Bob Allen hit home today. After not shooting for about 10 years or so a friend and I went quail hunting just north of Atlanta. Prior to the shoot I scrambled around trying find my gear that was scattered all around the house.
I found my old pair of Bob Allen field pants on a hanger in the back of the closet. They still fit and made an addition to my day
They didn't help my shooting however. I need to get out more.
Regards

Fred Preston
02-09-2011, 04:27 PM
MH, Just drew up a codicil.

Destry L. Hoffard
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Dog,

I wish more folks would do that for me. *wink*

Destry

chris dawe
02-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Destry my brother has one of those Bob Allen coat's,he wore the hell out of it a few frayed end's here and there and faded color's, but it's the one you're talking about with the duck shape's incorperated in the camo pattern ....unfortunately it's not man size,maybe my son can wear it someday....saying that, I came across a near mint duxback canvas upland jacket (size small) at a used clothe's store,I bought it before he was even born hoping someday he may want it :)

Destry L. Hoffard
02-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Chris,

That's the way to get the boy started, you can't beat that old DuxBack gear. On the same go round of digging through my old bedroom I found my original hunting jacket. I can't believe I was ever that little, it's just a tiny thing. I remember Dad buying it and a pair of pants for me at a department store called Tempo near Marion, IL.

Destry

P.S. to ParkerMan: I think my old gunners bag did help my shooting the first day I carried it goose hunting again. I managed to kill one that was directly behind me while laying flat in my ground blind and holding the gun essentially upside down. About 15 minutes later I killed one that came in on the wrong side by shooting right handed, I'm normally a lefty.

I don't do that kind of shooting very often, it was as big a surprise to me as it was to the geese. A dead calm day so they were just coming from everywhich direction with no breeze to give them direction. The big Parker magnum 10 gauge sure kicks hard when you hold it funny like that......

david ross
02-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Nice hat.
Must see if i can find one in uk.

Dave

Phil Yearout
03-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Let's see a pic of the ducky camo pattern.

david ross
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi PHIL
Will post pic of ducky camo in next day or two
Thanks Dave.

Destry L. Hoffard
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I just got the Bob Allen catalog in that shows all of the products. Will try to get somebody to scan a couple pages and post the images. So much cool stuff in there, even a Jones style hat!

Destry

david ross
03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Destry
Great i look forward to seeing them especialy the hats

david ross
03-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi PHIL
Will post pic of ducky camo in next day or two
Thanks Dave.

Phil here comes the ducky camo.:bigbye:

Destry L. Hoffard
03-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Oh yeah! That is a classic for sure. Not the Bob Allen DU pattern but still a terrific coat. I'm very envious!

Destry

Phil Yearout
03-12-2011, 10:40 AM
HaHa! Never been a camo fan but that is pretty neat. I could see myself wearing that. Thanks David!

Destry L. Hoffard
03-16-2011, 12:54 AM
Here's some of the catalog pages that show the Bob Allen products:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/destry029.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/destry030.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/destry031.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/destry032.jpg

I swear I used to have one of those neckties but for the life of me I can't find it!

There's even more in the catalog, nearly ever product they made was available in this pattern. I need one of the XL and XXL gun cases badly, and any of the clothes in XXL of course, plus some of the duffle bags, and and and.......

Anybody got any of this stuff in the closet?

Destry

david ross
03-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Destry.
Great gear i really like the wild fowl parker can you still get it ?

Destry L. Hoffard
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
David,

Bob Allen dropped it all from the line in the late 80's I'm sorry to say.

I've got one XL guncase, the Gunners Bag, a rain parka, the executive attache, and a choke tube case in my little collection so far.

Where did that necktie ever get to......

Destry

david ross
03-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks Destry.
I will just have to keep my eyes open you never know what's out there.
All the best Dave.

chris dawe
03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
My brother has the holofil 808 insulated coat,but as I said before it's not man size.

Destry L. Hoffard
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I found my rain parka on eBay, was surprised what I had to give for it but was glad to get it anyway. I've seen a few other jackets and shirts on there but nothing in the magic XXL.

Did a posting on a waterfowl forum about looking for the stuff and had one response. Guy said he had the XL and XXL gun cases, would just send them to me and I could give him whatever I thought they were worth. Gave him my address, waited awhile, emailed again, waited again, no response and no cases so far in about 6 months. To say I was disappointed would put it mildly......

DLH

Steve Kleist
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Do you think there is an outside chance that ANY of us Parker shooters might be considered "Old School?" ...Hmmmmm

calvin humburg
03-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Darn right Steve and proud of it. Next year I want to hunt out of a spring wagon with my 81 lifter.

Mark Parela
03-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Here's my friend with one on asking the judge to lower a dingbats bail, he also has the down parka. That was the trend back in the day along with the yazoo hat. Drake waterfowl has the old school camo pattern in there line.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/boxbirder/2009/LouCell.jpg

Phil Yearout
03-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I had a great upland coat; JC Penny issue with red flannel lining, and the lining had images of setters all over it. My wife picked it up at a garage sale. Unfortunately it got a bit "snug" (ahem!) over the years; I finally sold it on ebay. Broke my heart; I loved that coat. The vintage hunting gear sure seems to have had a bit more style!

Destry L. Hoffard
03-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Your friend is wearing the pattern from either Cabela's or Columbia, I remember it pretty well too as my father had a set. The Bob Allen is a bit different as it has actual outlines of ducks in the pattern itself. The pants might be Bob Allen, I can't tell for sure.

Looks like he's using an Olt Model 800 goose call, that's definitely old school.

I gave my Mossy Oak Bottomland pattern Yazoo Hat to a friend a couple years ago. He'd lost his original one and I never wore it so I figured what the hell.

Destry

Phil Yearout
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Well, you guys got me all fired up for one of those Bob Allen jackets; found a nice one on eBay. Bid higher than I wanted to go and still got outbid! Hope I didn't just bid someone here up, but I hope someone got it who'll appreciate it. Damn, I wanted that coat :crying:!