PDA

View Full Version : gun and knife show

charlie cleveland
02-05-2011, 05:45 AM
being held at oxford thats in mississippi not england today....sorrt about short notice only new about it last night....i will attend if old 72 ford pickup gets us there.. charlie

david ross
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Charlie
I wish it was in OXFORD ENGLAND then i could go only 3/4 off an hour from my home.

Thanks Dave.

Harry Collins
02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Charlie,

Did you make it to the show? Anything worth bringing home?

David,

I lived in Denham, Bucks in the mid 70's and would ricochet to Oxford on the A40 in my 58 MGA. Most of the time I would end up at "The Trout" for a pint or two.

Harry

david ross
02-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Harry

Harry
Do you miss the beer

Thanks Dave

o you miss the beer ?

Harry Collins
02-17-2011, 01:27 PM
David,

When I lived on your side of the pond there was a campeign on for real ale. Most beers were pressurized to the tap and brewers were going back to "pulling" a pint from the "wood". Anyway the taste of beer would change weekly. I was fond of milds and bitters, but stuck with Guinness stout for the most part which by the way was 18p for a pint in 1974. When I went back to broke bloodstock insurance at LLoyds and surrounding markets in 1985 a pint in the City was 1 pound 10p. I would be affraid to guess the cost today. In the old days I would appoligize it I handed the "governor" a 5 pound note. I enjoied living in England very much as I was not squandering my youth on education and family, but living as care free as Kenneth Grahame's Toad.

Harry

david ross
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi Harry
You would require a morguage to buy a pint these days 4 pounds + a pint

Thanks Dave

Harry Collins
02-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Dave,

That's about what a pint of Guinness cost in our Gin Mills as well. We can purchase a four pack of Pub Draft Guinness in the tin at the grocery for about the same ($6.50).

Harry

calvin humburg
02-17-2011, 07:34 PM
Ok Harry, who and what in the sam hill is Kenneth Grahame's Toad? ch

Harry Collins
02-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Calvin,

We all remember The Wind in the Willows. It's author is hard to come up with at times just like Winnie-the-Poo. Who wrote that? Grahame wrote Wind in the Willows. As you remember Toad of Toad Hall, Ratty and Mole and their adventures on and around the river. Toad was a little self centered and would take up one persuit and drop another as quick as, well, me.

Harry