PDA

View Full Version : Plagued by gun malfunctions

John Truitt
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM
As if I havent had enough gun malfunctions (two different guns each with
major gun malfunctions at the Southern) I now have a verynice DHE that drops the fore end every time the gun is fired (whole damn thing falls off). I got through about 75 rounds today on the course and then this started happening. Anyone with any similar experiences, thoughts to the problem?
Thanks,
John

Richard Flanders
08-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I think the factory cure is electrical tape....

I have a damascus 12ga Ithaca Flues that does that occasionally. Never have figured it out. The Ithaca latch is pretty simple compared to a Parker. I've not ever had a Parker do that to me. I assume you've looked for obvious loose parts in the forend.

Dave Suponski
08-09-2009, 10:47 PM
John,Maybe Larry Frey will chime in here.He had a gun that was doing the same thing.I can,t remember if the had Larry D. fix it or Abe Chaber but it wasn,t a real big deal.
You did check for a loose forend lug....right?

Dean Romig
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Probably needs some work on the forend lug on the barrels. This work should be done by a Parker expert like Russ Bickel or Del Grego. Is the forend iron original to the gun?

Kevin McCormack
08-09-2009, 11:09 PM
John, this malady is not uncommon in older or much-shot guns. In the Parker Gun, the problem is usually peening of the contact point in the roll latch of the forend iron where the latch face bears on the forend lug attached to the barrels. The fix is usually quick and simple but nasty to watch; a metal drift is laid over the face of the roll latch and given a quick sharp blow with a hammer which slightly elongates the surface of the protruding lip of the latch, restoring the friction fit of the two surfaces. You need a gunsmith who is familiar with the Parker Gun and knows how to effect this cure; ham-handed amatuers will destroy your forend. The post referencing the question of whether or not the forend is original to the gun is very important before evaluating the correction of the problem. If the forend is not original to the gun, the face of the roll latch may be too short to elongate without destroying it. By all means, have a "Parker Friendly" 'smith attend to the job.

Larry Frey
08-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi John,
Check your PM's.

Bill Murphy
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
John Truitt had malfunctions at the Southern?? I wonder how he would have shot without malfunctions?

John Truitt
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Guys,
Thanks for all of your responses. The fore arm iron and such is original to the gun. I took it apart last night and felt the u shaped rolly piece was worn. I swapped it out with one from a parts gun I have. If this does not work she is off to one of the pros.
Again thanks for all the sound advice and thoughts.
Every one have a good day.
John

John Truitt
08-10-2009, 07:38 PM
I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone for their advice. I want to especially thank Mr. Larry Frey.

Dave Suponski
08-10-2009, 07:53 PM
John,Anytime :)

Ed Blake
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
John: Is it time to order the RBL?