PDA

View Full Version : "Nice Shot" Loads

Brad Steinfeld
02-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Curious what the opinions are regarding the knock down qualities of the
"Nice SHOT" loads on Pheasant ?

How does the punch compare to Hevi-Shot ?

Compared to a traditional lead load?

Does NICE SHOT hardness make it a viable for a Damascus gun ?

The RST # 5's 2.5" seem like a more affordable scenario than the Hevi-Shot.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark Ouellette
02-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Brad,

No problems with Nice Shot in Damascus even for the most cautious shooters.

Nice Shot is harder than lead so should deform less. The hardness will however add 1500 PSI to your loads. Check their website for details.

Nice Shot is not as dense as Hevi Shot so it has less leathality. Still, I bagged ducks and geese over decoys in a pond at 60 yards (verified by laser range finder) with 1200 fps loads of 1 1/8 oz 12 ga and 1 3/8 oz 10 ga.

I don't know if it is better than lead since I only use it for waterfowl. I think it is at least as good.

Mark

Destry L. Hoffard
02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Bickel has been loading it for his vintage guns and has pronounced it deadly at all ranges. This is a man that can kill the high ones on a regular basis, to me his word is law when it comes to this sort of thing.

Destry

Peter Clark
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
#5 Nice Shot has become my standard waterfowl load for 12ga and 16ga guns. As my supply of bismuth dwindles, I will no doubt use it in every gauge and shot size depending on size of game where no-tox is required. Simpler to load than bismuth and not as brittle IMO. Standard charge bars throw a little less Nice Shot than lead so pressure increases may be somewhat overstated.
Performs very well for me.

E Robert Fabian
02-03-2011, 06:56 PM
I been using 4's 5's an 6's in Nice Shot with good results for a few years, just noticed this link http://www.neweraammunition.com/
on another thread where Brian is loading the ITX. Has anyone hand loaded this.... been able to find loading data. Looks like it's a bit cheaper.
Bob

Brad Steinfeld
02-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks fellas.
Looks like we'll definitely be trying it out.

Destry,
So you are telling me that Sir Bickel is not only a good guy, Master Smith par excellence but also a deadly marksman in the field ? Just doesn't seem fair to the rest of us.
Probably good in the sack too.

Mediocrity bites!

Destry L. Hoffard
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Brad,

Yes, it is most certainly true. He is murderous with a shotgun, I've seen him operate and it's with near surgical precision at times. As we used to say down at home, he can kill 'em high, wide, and deep.

Was just out pigeon shooting with him a couple weekends ago actually. He was off that day for some reason, one of the first times I'd ever seen it. But just the shoot before, he'd carried home all the money, and with the shooters they draw that's saying something. Them boys don't just come out for the air...

Regards,
Destry

P.S. As far as his being good in the sack, I have no knowledge. I've only seen him handle his gun in the field. Though, the knowing glances he exchanged with a certain lady behind the counter, did seem to hold up your suggestion.