PDA

View Full Version : Question about my G grade

Jack Johnson
08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I acquired a G grade Parker a couple of years ago in a Horse Trade. I had wanted a vintage side by side for some time and grabbed this opportunity ( i now have three). The serial number on my G Grade is 91493 and was made in 1899. It also has fluid steel barrels with all serial numbers matching on the barrels, for end and stock. There is a repair code stamped on the barrels of ph3. Which I understand this to mean it went back to the Parker / Remington factory in 1936 or 37. Now, here is my question . I think this gun originally was fitted with Damascus barrels and later in 36 or 37 was refitted with fluid steel. If this is correct would the factory have kept the original barrels or as I think a former owner sold them. If anyone has a guess please chime in . Or better yet, if someone has a set of Damascus barrels with the above serial number please let me know. Thanks Jack

Dave Suponski
08-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Jack,What does the rib say?

Jack Johnson
08-09-2009, 02:50 PM
There is nothing stamped on the rib . It is a plain rib

Dave Suponski
08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Hmm..I would think that 1936/1937 they would still be using barrels made at the Meriden works. Never say never....

Channing Will
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmm..I would think that 1936/1937 they would still be using barrels made at the Meriden works. Never say never....

I agree Dave, never say never. Pictures would definitely help out. Maybe the rib was replaced at one time or maybe its a Belgian replacement set.

Jack Johnson
08-09-2009, 04:33 PM
On the barrell flats it say's overload proved and parker guns works

It also say's made in the U.S.A.

Dave Suponski
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Jack,I would think you are correct that the gun originally had damascus barrels.At the time Vulcan Steel was being offered on VH grade guns and Titanic steel on D grade guns. Judging by your observation of barrel flat markings I would venture a quess that the barrels are Parker made. Could you post some pictures of the flats and a good quality photo of the rib. That will tell the story...

Bill Murphy
08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Your Remington repair codes denote June of 1939, within the time that unmarked ribs are probably used on many new guns as well as rebarrels. You seem to have a legitimate Remington rebarrelled Damascus era Parker. I would suspect that Remington trashed all Damascus barrels that were sent in for rebarrel jobs. You have a rather unusual variation of Parker history.

Dave Suponski
08-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Jack,Your gun 91493 is listed in the "Serialization Book" as a D2 12ga. 28" PG gun with no extras.

Jack Johnson
08-09-2009, 08:23 PM
I don't know if these pics will show the stamp code or the Parker gun works stamp but here is what I got .

Pat Dugan
08-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Most people can't figure out how to post pictures, if you would re take the pictures using the micro setting usually a little flower on most cameras for close up pictures, they could be able to tell you more.

PDD

Jack Johnson
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Well for some reason I am now unable to upload pic's . I think Pat's advice on how to use the macro worked . I am just unable to upload for some reason. Maybe someone has advice on what is going wrong ? I have had no problems until just now .

Destry L. Hoffard
08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Just create a free account on www.photobucket.com and then upload your pics to there. Once they're on that hosting site put your pointer on the picture and you'll get a drop down with several choices of picture code to choose from. Cut and paste the one that says IMG directly onto your posting and when you put it up the picture will appear. You don't have to worry about the hosting on this site and it being too big or anything like that. It sounds complicated but it's not, I'm not very computer savy and I figured it out in about 45 minutes.

Destry

James Brown
08-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Jack: I have found that when the macro setting is used the pictures will be too large to post. You may have to reduce them then post.

James

Jack Johnson
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I think I have it finally to a point were you can see the stamps on the barrel. At the top you will see the repair code of ph3 .You should also see the overload proved and the Parker gun works stamp.

Dave Suponski
08-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Jack,Great picture...How about one of the top rib?

Jack Johnson
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
ok here is the rib

Dave Suponski
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Another great picture Jack.... That is a great set of Remington barrels you have there. When you mentioned 1936/1937 I was a little concerned but Bill Murphy nailed it with the 1939 date.You have a great gun there.Congratulations!

Pat Dugan
08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Super great pictures.

To resize pictures just go tohttp://www.shrinkpictures.com/

To go to a simple place to host pictures to use at a site that has to have pictures from a host site go to http://www.jpgbox.com/

They really have work well for me

PDD