PDA

View Full Version : first post

John Figgie
01-28-2011, 03:13 PM
This is a "I just inherited this - and what is it?"

Have spent several hours on this website reading most everything. Now I'm hoping to find out a little more about my Parker. Serial number #22829 says it was manufactured in 1881, but I would like to know more aboute the grade, etc. It is 12 ga., 28 inch bbls., #1 frame?, all numbers match. My great grandfather owned and shot this gun. My grandfather shot a monkey on Mt. Tom in Easthampton, MA when he was a teenager with this gun. My father shot this gun, maybe 25 years ago with black powder and Pyrodex handloads. Now it's my turn. I will ask more about handloads later.

Anybody curious about the monkey story? It is ABSOLUTELY true and I'm trying to substantiate it. Not easy, since it happened 105 to 110 years ago.

Any help, advice, or thoughts will be appreciated!

Hope the pictures make it since I'm not a computer guru.

Eric Eis
01-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't have the serial number book in front of me but I will get back to you on that (I am sure someone will beat me to on that) But let's hear about the monkey...Eric

Robin Lewis
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
22829 is listed as a grade zero underlifter with 28 inch plain twist barrels

E Robert Fabian
01-28-2011, 03:28 PM
22829 is a PT U O P 12 28 ..... Plain Twist barrels, under lifter action, O no options, P pistol grip, 12 ga., 28" barrels. sounds like a nice family gun and I know it's the first time I've heard of a Parker taking a monkey.

John Figgie
01-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks. How do I post pictures?

John Dallas
01-28-2011, 03:47 PM
This is from the FAQ section:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=post+pictures&match=all&titlesonly=0

Eric Eis
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Ok John like to see the pictures but I really want to hear the story..... Eric

Jack Cronkhite
01-28-2011, 07:37 PM
So, while we wait,how about some guesses. Here's mine

EASTHAMPTON January 3, 1901: The fear had been felt by every resident. In early October past, a large monkey had escaped the Tuttweiller Travelling Animal Act, along with two miniature horses, one goat said to be a unicorn and a three legged zebra. The zebra, horses and goat were quickly corralled but the monkey flew across rooftops, terrorizing women and small children. One of Mrs. McIntosh's apple pies, cooling on the window sill, was snatched and consumed by the marauding monkey. (Although demonic in nature, the monkey had excellent taste in pies, as Mrs. McIntosh has been the blue ribbon recipient at the County Fair since 1898. Sadly, Mr. McIntosh reports the missus has not been able to bake since suffering this trauma.) Several men had taken pot shots at this pilfering primate but to no avail. No one is sure how the monkey made it to the Mount Tom forests but that may have been its undoing. A young lad, out with his father, was learning the art of grouse hunting. Father had excellent taste in firearms, allowing the young lad to learn the art of hunting with a firearm that is itself a work of art - a Parker Bros. gun. A pair of grouse had exploded skyward. The young lad shouldered the Parker and fired as the grouse were disappearing over the tree tops. There was an audible "thud". To the bewilderment of both hunters, upon finding their quarry, they saw a dead monkey. They made no mention of this to anyone, until they learned some months later of the Easthampton monkey escape. Thinking this might bring them some celebrity, they passed on their story to this reporter; however, there were no monkey remains available for confirmation.

It was written off at the time to a father introducing his son to the art of hunting and also to maybe more than a single shot of fine whiskey at day's end. The story resurfaces from time to time. Who knows when it will end. Some stories have a long life.

Cheers,
Jack

John Dallas
01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Jack - Why do you have to live so far away? I'd love to hoist a toast to your writing!

Dave Suponski
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Wonderful story Jack! You have a great gift sir.....:bowdown:

John, Are we talking about East Hampton,CT?

Dean Romig
01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Oh Bartender... I'd like one of whatever it was that you served to the gentleman at the keyboard... :corn:

Ain't been no monkeys here in Mass'chusetts since we been keepin' records...

Mt. Tom indeed, ain't nuthin' on Mt. Tom but trees an' windmills.