PDA

View Full Version : Life comes full circle

Jon Sheets
09-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Last February, when I posted Hold Them Dear, For They Own Our Hearts I was uncertain of things to come. Annie Oakley and I had just lost our best friend and hunting partner, Abby. All my best laid plans evaporated faster than the tears. We were left lost and forlorn, in the new dynamic in which we found ourselves.

Life goes on. We were fortunate to find a fine stud candidate with Long Gone Kennels in New Hampshire. Oakley carries a lot of Grouse Ridge and Long Gone blood. Lloyd Murray acquired the dogs from Grouse Ridge when they retired. He knew of all the Grouse Ridge dogs in Oakley's pedigree. We chose to breed with his 2X Champion Long Gone Porky. This past Sunday (8/29) Oakley blessed us with a litter of beautiful, healthy puppies.

Oakley and I will be breaking in a new hunting partner! Certainly not this season, but for many seasons to come. She, one of her daughters and I will make new memories, for a new generation.

Dean Romig
09-02-2021, 09:01 PM
Best of luck to you!

Brett Hoop
09-02-2021, 09:31 PM
Hope and happiness you can hold.

Bruce Hering
09-04-2021, 12:23 AM
Thats wonderful. Those are some great pups. Enjoy.....

Jon Sheets
09-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Thanks all.

Mike Koneski
09-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Nothing better than an English Setter!

todd allen
09-16-2021, 03:45 PM
She looks like a good mommy

Jack Cronkhite
09-25-2021, 08:22 PM
We love them all. We miss them when they are gone.

Jon Sheets
10-30-2021, 10:00 PM
Hmm, okay. Seems the universe had other plans for us. Instead of one, we now have 2 new pups. The first is the golden girl I had planned on keeping. The second, her brother, the universe apparently wanted us to keep also. Both are showing great potential.

Bruce Hering
10-31-2021, 12:11 AM
Hmm, okay. Seems the universe had other plans for us. Instead of one, we now have 2 new pups. The first is the golden girl I had planned on keeping. The second, her brother, the universe apparently wanted us to keep also. Both are showing great potential.

John: They both look great. You are going to have your hands full with the mischief they will get into.... LOL Good luck to ya.

Garry L Gordon
10-31-2021, 06:44 AM

Jon, always good to listen to the Universe! I have no doubt you'll be glad you did. What's not to love about the promise of a puppy, and two(!) adds exponential pleasure to life. Enjoy.

allen newell
11-09-2021, 05:51 PM
Nothing better than an English setter pup to hold in your arms

John Dallas
11-09-2021, 06:37 PM
There is nothing which generates more optimism than a new gun dog puppy (or 2!)

Andrew Sacco
11-09-2021, 07:05 PM
My word, how life changes doesn't it? Good for you! I always have had more than one dog to "ease the pain" and it doesn't quite erase it. But I'm glad you went all in with your chips. I am always reminded of what Gene Hill wrote, "God made dogs lives short so we could enjoy more of them in our lives." Good luck, you'll be busy : )

Jon Sheets
11-19-2021, 06:38 PM
Thought I'd share these. My brother, Sheepherder, holding 8 wk old Annie Oakley at Game Creek, 5 1/2 years ago. And holding her 6 wk old daughter, Aurelia Skye, 5 1/2 weeks ago.

Jon Sheets
11-21-2021, 10:23 PM
Today the pups are 12 weeks old. I received this pic from the proud owner of the other female in the litter. She went to New Brunswick, Canada. They were out today doing some training and little Winnie pointed her first quail. Nice style for 12 weeks!

Breck Gorman
11-21-2021, 10:44 PM
Gorgeous style and a good looking girl. And I love her name. My family has always given our gun dogs a dignified gun name. We’ve have had and have a Colt, Remmy, Parker, Ruger, Elsie, and a Winny.
She’s got a lot of promise, and you can’t deny, a lot of style!

Jon Sheets
11-24-2021, 04:56 PM
Thanks. This entire litter shows that drive and promise. We intend to repeat this breeding in a year or so.