PDA

View Full Version : ITX load data

Bob Dombeck
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
For those interested, I talked to Ballistic Products today and they emailed me a PDF of info. and load recipes for the ITX shot. I'm planning on trying some of the #6's when they get back in stock, hopefully by the end of August so they say. I can forward this PDF if anyone wants it or I'm sure you can call and have them email it to you also.

scott kittredge
08-07-2009, 07:00 PM
hi bob, i'll take a copy. thanks, scott skittredge@metrocast.net

Richard Flanders
08-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I would like it also Bob. richardflanders@compusersve.com

Destry L. Hoffard
08-08-2009, 03:29 AM
I'm still a little leary of it, I keep hearing it's harder than they say.

DLH

Don Kaas
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I would believe Ballistic Products rather than "what they say" whomever "they" are... BP is a top notch professional outfit in my experience. They take their loading very seriously.

Kurt Densmore
08-10-2009, 03:29 PM
The bag of #4 I went through last season did not cause any issues with bbls. At least any percievable damage and I just used regular lead shot plastic wads. The one pellet that I did test for hardness seemed to pass. Not very scientific but I was able to smash a pellet with a pair of standard pliers without a tremenous amount of pressure. It doesn't seem to be as malleable as lead. The edges of the pellet crack when squeezed flat.

I have another bag of #4 ready for loading. I will check the hardnesss of this bag also.

I also need to be getting some #2 bismuth loaded into 12ga hulls for the honkers. Mr. Anderson seems to think he wants to shoot at some large honkers with his newly acquired D grade hammer 12ga. I may have to follow suit and put down the 10 bore for the 12 for a hunt or two.

Bob, would you send the PDF file to Shootnfowl@yahoo.com. I am sure they have added some loads from what I had last winter. I hope they put together some lower pressure loads. Most of what I have is in the 10,000 psi range for 12ga.

kjd

Destry L. Hoffard
08-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Kurt,

What happened to Anderson saying he shot his geese with a 20 gauge skeet gun? We had a long thread on here a couple years ago about using enough gun for waterfowl. He was all uppity that you didn't need a 10 gauge or even a 12 gauge for geese. You should make him put his money where his mouth is.

Destry

scott kittredge
08-10-2009, 03:57 PM
hi kurt, how did the 4's print on paper, does full shoot full etc,etc, scott

Kurt Densmore
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
LOL......damn Destry I am rolling..:rotf:
I do not recall reading the thread...I am thinking that a 28ga is in order for Mr. Anderson....Truth be told...most of the geese I shoot early on are feet down over the decoys and a small bore would be fine. On the off day or later in the season a small bore would certainly not be enough gun. Bigger the game, farther the distance the bigger the payload needed of course......and I don't think Rich would be foolish enough to shoot a cape buffalo with a 22-250. I do believe he has used his .416 taylor.....LOL
Talking about being a little under gunned ........I just picked up a Savage 99 Tiger killing rifle over the weekend....a .22 Savage High Power built in 1920 and in pretty nice condition, but, like many of them it has been drilled and tapped for a Williams scope mount and sports a 4X Weaver. Damn, try to find ammo for that thing.....:banghead:

Scott,
The ITX is too damn expensive to hit the patterning board much. With a 1 oz load (that is all that would fit into a 1 1/8oz shot cup) there are pretty much the same number of pellets as a load of #4 1 1/4oz lead load. I found that the right bbl at about improved modified patterened tighter than the full choked left bbl. I can't remember the difference but it was significant (maybe close to 30% less). Seems like the IM bbl shot at 90% at 35 yards. Apparently too much choke blows patterns. That was out of a 1916 VH 32" bbl 12ga.

Yep....I will have to give Rich about 4 oz of ITX so that he can load up 5 shells for his 28ga.....5 geese, 5 shots right...?? Classic Arms in Lansing has a bunch of 28ga bismuth that they have had for years if you know of anyone that wants some.

KjD

Destry L. Hoffard
08-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh he went on and on about it I can assure you. How a 20 gauge skeet gun was all the fowling piece a man needed in all weathers. That they'd kill them just as dead, just as far, as my big 10 gauge, etc etc etc. I offered him a February goose hunt on the St. Clair and said to bring along his little pop gun but he never took me up on it oddly enough.

I'm sure a 20 or even a 28 will kill a goose just fine in the perfect conditions, particularly if you can hit them in the head or neck. But give me a day with the wind howling, bundled up in heavy clothes, stiff with cold, and the birds being a little shy about finishing over the decoys....

I'll stick with the heavy artillery.

DLH