PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Condition

John Feldes
01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Hello,

Just finished cleaning up the hammer gun, spending some time on the barrels. The bores are shiny for the most part but do have some pitting. I had this gun inspected and approved by a gunsmith for shooting BP rounds, but that was several years ago. I haven't shot the gun for some time, maybe 5 or 6 years. I am planning to take it out and shoot some clays in a couple of weeks, shooting either black powder shells or the low pressure RST rounds that are available.

Should I be concerned?

Thank you

Mark Ouellette
01-24-2011, 06:55 AM
John,

Your concern should be focused on the minimum barrel wall thicknesses from chamber to muzzle. A deep pit just ahead of the chamber could be very dangerous even with loads of less than 6000 PSI. Further toward the muzzle (inches past where your forward hand would grasp the gun) a pit might burst but would be functionally the same as a barrel port venting gass in direction perpendicular to the bore. While ruining the value of the barrels and thus the gun, a barrel hole very close to the muzzle probably would not remove your fingers upon firing.

Who was the gunsmith who inspected it previously? No offense, but is he a competent "double gunsmith"? If so, maybe send it back for a checkup. If you have any questions, find a smith who specializes in old SxS's.

PS: Of course always wear good safety glasses when shoot these old guns!

Respectfully,
Mark

David Hamilton
01-24-2011, 09:21 PM
You did shoot the gun? I'm sure that the loads you shot were the same as similar loads made today. Shoot the gun! David

John Feldes
01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Mark,

Thanks for your response. The gunsmith was in Michigan. I now live in Portland, Oregon. I have heard of Keith Kearcher in Bend. would be great to find someone reputable here in this area.

The pitting doesn't "appear" deep. It looks more like dark smudges or spots in the first few inches or so of the barrels, forward of the chambers. The right barrel has more spots than the left, which seems to make sense.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. If you know of a good gunsmith in the Portland are, please let me know.

Regards,
John

John Feldes
01-24-2011, 09:52 PM
David,

Thanks for your enthusiastic response. Yes, I have shot the gun. She performed quite well and had zero issues. I was shooting Gamebore BP #7s. Still have a box, but will probably switch to SRT low pressure rounds.

Thanks again for your response,

John