PDA

View Full Version : Help with this Parker

Rich Proa
01-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi,

First off, this is an excellent site with a wealth of information. I have already used some of this info to identify a Parker that I am interested In. However, I am a complete newbie when it comes to parkers so any info/help is greatly appreciated. The Parker in question is a 12 gauge hammer gun, serial #51738. the # on the lug is 1. Bbl weight marking is 4. Grade (located above serial #?) is I, and bbl rib has Parker bros. With address and laminated steel. The laminated steel is the type of steel used for the bbl's? There is also an L on the bbl flats. I'm wondering if this is to denote the laminated steel for the bbl.
Overall, the serial #'s match on the forend iron, water table, and the side of the lug. You can see the damascus-like pattern on the bbl's, though it's definitely not Damascus. Bores look very clean, no pitting. Top of the pistol grip has a yellowed metal crest. Stock looks nice and checkering is still pretty sharp. Butt has a rubber pad on it which I'm thinking is not original, but fits well. Perhaps professionally installed. Action locks up tight, no gap between breech face and extractor/bbl as well as bbl flats and water table. Hammers/triggers function quite well along with large stub firing pins(firing
Pins feel like they have rebound springs?). Only concerns I have are as follows:

-When gun is opened and I grasp bbl n try to twist there is a little play around the hinge. Very little but still a concern. None at all when locked.

-forend seems to have a little play when locked up.

-looking from the breech end of the gun, right hammer has some side movement. I.e. If you grasp hammer ear n push to the right the hammer and hammer screw will move in clockwise motion away from sideplate n back.

- muzzle end of tubes look a little thin as compared to my beretta and rizzini sxs's

Sorry for the long winded explanation. I understand this is a 130+ year old gun so if I'm being nit-picky I apologize. I was told that the owner used it for clays shooting with 2 1/2" shells, maybe the reason for the rubber butt pad! Price is $1800 negotiable. Any insight/info is appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

RiccO

Dave Suponski
01-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Ricco, You are correct the L stands for Laminated Steel that the barrels are manufactured from. A little looseness at the hinge with the gun open is no big deal as long as the gun lock's up tight and on face when closed. As far as a little wobble in the hammers. On lower grade guns seem to be a common occurrence the D grade and above guns with four pin locks aren't as susceptible to this. Please post some good quality pictures if you purchase the gun.