PDA

View Full Version : 8 gauge bores and choke constrictions....

Don Kaas
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I know there a few 8 bore enthusiasts in this august group after the recent chamber length discussion, how about listing the current bore sizes and chokes constrictions of your Parker (and other) 8s? I just picked up a Westley Richards on an early Anson & Deeley action from 1884 (the A&D was introduced by WR in 1875 or 7 years before the Parker top lever and a full 13 years before the Parker hammerless) with bore sizes of .841" and chokes of .037". It has 3 1/4" chambers. It weighs 15lb 1 oz and the barrels actual weight is 8lb 6oz.This is very similar to the #6 frame Parker PH 8 gauge I used to have. I believe a lot of these early guns 'grew' extra choke when their barrels were bored to remove pitting.

Bill Murphy
08-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I will never believe that chokes in the fifty to seventy thousandth range in big guns are not factory original after measuring Merkel 12 gauge guns that were factory bored at more than .055 chokes in .720 bores. I don't believe that the Westley in the present condition was ever "cleaned up". Of course, this appraisal may increase the selling price, but what the heck.

Don Kaas
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Having closely examined the bores of the WR (as you would expect), I am certain they have been "cleaned up" a bit. The early Birmingham Proof "10m/9b Not for Ball" marks don't really tell you much more than that the barrels were built with choke. How WR adjusted them for pattern in the "old days" is a mystery wrapped in a Damascus enigma...regretfully the original case labels do not contain any load data. however like many early Westleys, the chamber diameter is stamped on the barrel breeches (.940 standard 8 bore is .930")

Bill Murphy
08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
None of the three case labels on my Westley eight have loading information either. That must be a rifle thing.

Don Kaas
08-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually, I have a 1912 Holland and Holland 20g in its original case with load data on a label. I have seen many cased English shotguns with load data. Here is a generic version from Galazan's

Kevin McCormack
08-08-2009, 12:51 AM
My stunning familly heirloom John Rigby Oak & Leather case has loads for both rifle and shotgun barrels of the combo gun hand-written along the margins of the maker's label. I'd give a lot to know where that gun is today.

charlie cleveland
08-08-2009, 08:43 AM
some body cut barrels on my parker lifter 8 ga. so no chokes left . gun handles very well with 26 1/4 in barrels chanber length 3 1/4 thanks charlie