PDA

View Full Version : It's a Gordon Life...

Alfred Houde
07-04-2021, 06:57 AM
Yeah, it's a good life. Caught her in between dozing and stretching...

Garry L Gordon
07-04-2021, 07:01 AM
What an unhappy dog!:rotf:

Ken Hill
07-04-2021, 11:45 AM
I see she is well harden for the hunting season! Keep up the good work. :-)

Ken

Garry L Gordon
07-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Alfred, Gordons also like to celebrate the 4TH.

Alfred Houde
07-04-2021, 05:02 PM
My Red Setter does not like the neighborhood fireworks at all. We usually put her in her crate with a blanket over it. Same with bad storms. Not gun shy at all, she doesn't like storms or fireworks.

The Gordon just looks out the window or sleeps. They are all different.

Ken Hill
07-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Alfred,

I've had Gordons since 1986; last year I decided to try a Red Setter. She's only 16 months now, but just seems to have a little different attitude. We can't buy any toys except for a round donut otherwise they are destroyed in 2-3 hours. She did pretty good her first year hunting. I'm ready for Oct to get here. Belle (the Gordon) will be on her ninth season this year. Belle is the best dog we have had--so well adapted to the home and hunting.

Ken
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=893&pictureid=13454

Garry L Gordon
07-05-2021, 07:34 AM
A red and black brace -- what a nice mix!

Garry L Gordon
07-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Alfred and Ken, Are you familiar with the sporting dog writer, Horace Lytle? He had a Red Setter, quite a famous dog as I recall (Smada Bird was the dog's name...if memory serves). He authored quite a few (very good) books during the 1920-30s. If you are not acquainted with Lytle, he's worth a read.

Alfred Houde
07-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Yes, I have two of his books in my library. Gun Dogs Afield and How to Win Field Trials.

They have very different personalities that is for sure. My Red Setter is the same with toys. As soon as we give her a new one, the first order of business is to rip the squeaker out of it and then destroy the rest. She is a very quiet and gentle dog with our grandkids. I stopped hunting her because she suffers from periodic bouts of Pancreatitis. Has not had one for a while, but you don't know when or where. She is eight now.

The Gordon is very vocal. Howls like a coonhound when she wants to eat or knows she is going somewhere. She is also gentle, but much physically stronger. You know it when she climbs or jumps in your lap. She will be three end of this month.

Our dogs have always lived in the house with us. Other than the occasional mishap when they are puppies, we have never had a problem.

Alfred Houde
07-05-2021, 10:20 AM
Here are two images of Hannah from last season. She found and pointed a lot of Woodcock for me.

Ken Hill
07-05-2021, 02:57 PM
Hey Garry,

I don't have any of Lytle's books however, he wrote some articles in the book "The Modern Red Setter." Smada Bird is discussed in the 2nd chapter. Always interesting to read about a handful of people bringing the breed back to its hunting conformation from a predominant AKC show dog breeding.

Ken

Dean Romig
07-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Are the Red Setter and the Irish Setter the same breed?

Alfred Houde
07-05-2021, 04:56 PM
https://nrsftc.com/index.php/history/

Yes and no. The link above is probably the best explanation.

The Field Dog Stud Book, UKC, and the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association registers Red Setters as Irish Setters.

The AKC used to register them, but no longer will (unless it has changed again).

Dean Romig
07-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Thanks Alfred - that is a very interesting read.

Congratulations Ken on your Red Setter!

Ken Hill
07-05-2021, 08:21 PM
Hey Dean,

I agree with Alfred--the Red Setters are Irish Setters, but have been bred back to a hunting conformation. They are also registered in the Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) and not necessarily with the AKC. Here's another link of 3 pages on the discussion https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/75658-red-setters/ from last year. The last response on page 3 covers it very well from the "Flushing Whip." The "Flushing Whip" is the official publication of Red Setters.

Now the next question: Is a Ryman Setter and English Setter? :-)

Ken

Dean Romig
07-05-2021, 10:00 PM
Ken, genetically yes.
But the Ryman line was bred and developed here in the US.

Alfred Houde
07-06-2021, 07:07 AM
I like them all, and the history of the Gordon, Irish, Red, and all of the English Setter families are fascinating and enjoyable reading. I don't think you could go wrong with any in the field or home.

Garry L Gordon
07-06-2021, 07:30 AM
I like them all, and the history of the Gordon, Irish, Red, and all of the English Setter families are fascinating and enjoyable reading. I don't think you could go wrong with any in the field or home.

Absolutely agree!