PDA

View Full Version : Wallhanger needs more info.

Donald McCurdy
01-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Like many posters I have an 1883 hammer that has been in my family since
it was new. I have used the research provided here to help me understand
this gun. Serial number 37285, Frame 2, .75 bore, barrel 28 inches. I still do not know the grade but I think it may be a 1. there are also letters WLTR or
MLTR stamped on it. My dad gave this gun to me about 15 yrs ago and it had
a leather covering on the end of the stock. I peeled that off and some residue
is still on the wood. Gun is original and face is tight. Inside of barrels are pitted and would probably clean up with a restoration. Will try to attach photos. Seeking advice on how to market this gun to a collector who would
like to restore it and use it.6867

Robin Lewis
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM
It is a grade zero and is listed as leaving mfg. with 12 ga., 32 inch plain twist barrels

Dean Romig
01-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Donald, it doesn't look like it needs much in the way of restoration. With the exception of the shortened barrels (which eliminate it from the "collector" category) and the pits in the bores the only thing I see that need attention are to find the correct hammer screw for the left hammer and to clean up and correctly finish the stock. Otherwise it looks to be in very nice condition.

Donald McCurdy
01-24-2011, 05:54 PM
When I measured the barrels I thought they were too short. Why was this done? Is it still a usable gun? I live in Saint Paul MN and am looking for ideas
on how to sell this gun. Any ballpark ideas on it's worth? I do have a contact
at an auction house. Thanks to those who have responded.

Dean Romig
01-24-2011, 09:14 PM
If it is determined by an expert that it is safe to shoot then yes, it is a usable gun but with limitations as defined by the lack of most of the choke that was cut off with the four inches by which the barrels were shortened.

George Lander
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Donald: Why not go ahead & join the PGCA & order a letter on your Parker. That will give you some insight into it's provenance and you might be surprised.

JMHO Best Regards, George

Jim Akins
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Donald, George has it right, a letter will tell for sure on the barrels. I have a 10 gauge underlifter, straight grip, 28" damascus barrels, grade 2, serial #13465. The book shows it as D3-U-O-P-12-30; this translates as grade 3, underlifter, no extras, pistol grip, 12 ga, 30 damascus barrels. The gun letters exactly as it is, I guess they got on the wrong line or read the serial # wrong.

Donald McCurdy
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
I have become a member and am going order a letter on my gun. I am wondering though if a 28" barrel could have been ordered for this gun. Although I do not hunt anymore I did work at a gunclub in my youth setting trap. Wouldn't a 28" barrel produce a wide pattern for upland bird hunting
otherwise why shorten a barrel? Also thanks for pointing out the issue of the
wrong srew on the hammer. I see from another thread that someone else
needs to replace one. Can you find replacements or do you make new ones?

Dean Romig
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Donald, if you make it known that you would like to have the correct screw it is pretty likely that someone here will make one available to you.
The shot pattern that a particular gun produces has little or nothing to do with barrel length but is determined by how the barrels are chokes e.g., the amount of constriction from nominal bore size to something of a lesser size or diameter... this will throw a tighter or closer pattern than true cylinder or consistent nominal bore size right to the end of the barrel. Parker chokes are typically from 4" to 6" or more into the bores from the muzzles.

Donald McCurdy
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Another member says I should have a 32" barrel. So if I measure 28" someone in the distant past cut off 4" so this may have changed the choke pattern. I still can't imagine
why someone would cut down a barrel.

Dean Romig
01-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Likely becaust a previous owner had a hard time hitting his targets with tight chokes so the general (cheap) practice was to cut off the offending choke section.

Donald McCurdy
01-25-2011, 05:46 PM
This is what I thought. Reduce choke and get a wider pattern but also do do this to an expensive gun is nuts. Would have been a distant relative on my dads side early 20th century. Will wait for more info from the letter. Thanks