PDA

View Full Version : Duck Tolling Retriever

Troy Giles
06-17-2021, 11:31 PM
New member, first post.

My 12 year old son is interested in getting a dog. We've had good luck with our two American Brittanys and now our French Brittany. Unfortunately, we are about to lose our 14 year old Brit....

Anyway, my son picked out what appears to be a pretty rare breed. Any one on the forum have experience with the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? We do like duck hunting and upland game hunting and anything to keep him shooting and hunting is good with me.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

Mike McKinney
06-17-2021, 11:40 PM
All I know about them is they are one of the happiest and pleasant looking dogs I have ever seen. I look forward to hearing the comments.

Victor Wasylyna
06-17-2021, 11:46 PM
I sure hope you and your boy get one of those pretty duck dogs and post hunting pictures on the regular.

-Victor

Dean Romig
06-17-2021, 11:54 PM
An old, long since departed, friend whom I met a couple of decades ago at my Skeet club had a Nova Scotia Tolling dog that was excellent at waterfowl as well as ruffed grouse, woodcock and preserve pheasants. They make great family and house dogs too. Eager to learn and eager to please.

Shawn Wayment
06-18-2021, 10:24 AM
I have several in my practice...very nice dogs and generally healthy dogs

Troy Giles
06-18-2021, 08:04 PM
We are looking for reputable breeders for Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers to be used for hunting. My son found one in Minnesota (maybe Manitou Tollers) but they are not an easy dog to find. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks for everyone's input.

Alfred Houde
06-19-2021, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the PGCA. I have seen a few at Retriever Hunt Tests. They are nice looking and well mannered.

Like any gun dog breed, I would highly suggest that you do diligent research and find one from a true, hunting kennel/breeder. They are gaining in popularity, which makes this search even more important.

Good luck, they are nice dogs.

Ken Hill
06-19-2021, 03:40 PM
I've only seen them in pictures. You may want to look at this thread from the upland journal board https://uplandjournal.ipbhost.com/topic/79597-iso-duck-tolling-retriever/?tab=comments#comment-1429761. There don't seem to be many breeders.

Ken