PDA

View Full Version : "That's Ruff" a new grouse hunting book

Dean Romig
01-19-2011, 11:31 PM
A couple of issues ago in "Parker Pages" Art Wheaton introduced us to a book by George King of Pennsylvania entitled "That's Ruff" and I sent for one of the limited editions, numbered of a run of 100 and signed by the author. I received my copy in just a couple of weeks and the first chance I got I sat down and started reading it.
George King is the inspiration behind the "Ancient and Honorable Order of Brush Worn Partridge Hunters" which was an organization of about 3,000 strong of hunters of the Ruffed Grouse from every part of the US and Canada where grouse in huntable numbers could be found. George printed a newsletter "Grouse Cover" and mailed it to each member between the years of 1969 through 1972.
"That's Ruff" is a hardcover of 272 pages, illustrated, and is filled with some of the best grouse hunting stories, Art says "some serious, some whimsical, all "pure grouse!" George lets us read some letters in a chapter titled "Letters From Legends" between himself and "Tap" Tapply, Frank Woolner and Burt Spiller. Between the stories and chapters are what George calls "Feathers in the Wind" which are short anecdotes - thoughts, poems and observations.
I believe "That's Ruff" is destined in time to become a classic among grouse hunting literature - certainly equal to so many of the honored and venerable titles like "Grouse Feathers" and "More Grouse Feathers", "New England Grouse Shooting", "Fun With Game Birds", "Partridge Shortenin'" and "Grouse and Grouse Hunting".
George finishes the book with two chapters that describe, probably better than any other attempt I have ever read, the lore, mystique and culture of grouse hunting and the grouse hunter and I think you will agree.

The Book is $22.95 plus $4.95 shipping and handling, from Concord House Publishing, Box 283, Claridge, PA 15623. A Limited Edition (which is getting very close to being sold out) of 100 copies, with a "Brush Worn" frontispiece is available, signed and numbered by the author at $39.95 plus $4.95 s&h, from George King, 5015 Bushy Run Road, Jeannette, PA 15644. Of course PA residents must pay the 6% sales tax.

You will cherish this book.

Dave Suponski
01-20-2011, 07:01 AM
Dean is spot on with his description of this great book! I ordered my limited edition copy back in August and received it about the same time Dean did. I read it and it's taken a place on my book shelf right next to Spiller.

You fellow grouse hunters do not want to miss out on this great read!

Russ Jackson
01-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I just wanted to say ,Thank you Dean for bringing this to my attention ! I must have missed the article in PP's. I spoke with Mr. King this morning and ordered my " Limited Edition " ,also ,This is sort of similar to Grouse hunting in itself ,you never know when some one will point you to a ,LOCAL HOT SPOT ! Mr. King lives less than an hours drive from me and I had never heard of him or of his book ! Thanks again ! Russ :bigbye:

Larry Barnhart
01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
could you provide a phone number to order a copy of Thats Ruff please ?

Dean Romig
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Sorry, I should have listed it. This is George's number... 724-523-8931

Robert Rambler
01-20-2011, 06:41 PM
This is indeed a fine read. I sat down Christmas day and read it straight through, just could not put it down! Afterwards I wrote George a letter thanking him for the book, and tellng him what I thought of it. A few days later there was a message on my answering machine asking me to give him a call. Later that evening I called and had a delightfull half hour gab with George. He struck me as a fine gentleman and a Grouse hunter through and through! I think I embarrased him when I said his book was on my bookshelf along with Spiller,Evans, Tapply and Woolner.

Like I told George, Sounds silly but "Old Leather boots" made my eyes weepy. "The Ballad of Poke Mountain Pete" was a great tale and we all have a friend like "Joe" who we miss dearly. You won't go wrong adding this one to your shelf!!:)

Russ, I am envious of you for living so close to George. I would love to sit down and spend an afternoon with this gentleman, the stories he could tell of hunting with Spiller,Woolner and Tapply! :cool::cool:

Dean Romig
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I see you keep the tail feathers of Bonasa Umbellis on the bookshelf too. They make great bookmarks don't they?

Robert Rambler
01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes they do Dean !
Forgot to mention that George is a pretty good artist as well, the drawings and artwork that decorate the book are from his own hand!

Mike McKinney
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
I called a little while ago and ordered my copy from Mr. King. What a nice man!! He has really enjoyed his study of Mr./Ms. Grouse. He said he had had three calls as a result of the forum. I told him that was thanks to Dean and the other reviews.
Mr. King said he had also signed up as a forum member, let's look out for him.

Robert Rambler
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
He's here, his name is showing on the Members List.

Dave Suponski
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm glad to see folks grabbing up this great book. It is a please to know George.A true gentleman and a wonderful writer.

Robert Rambler
03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Spoke with George this evening. The Limited Editions are all gone, plenty of trade editions still available though. He has a web site under construction, might be completed in a week or so.
http://thatsruff.com/

Dean Romig
03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I've spoken with George a number of times recently and his kind are certainly "few and far between".

Burt Spiller said to George, words to the effect... "Send each member of the "Ancient and Honorable Brush Worn Partridge Hunters" a page from my manuscript of Grouse Feathers" .... Burt was so humble and kind and had no real idea how many people he deeply touched with his book Grouse Feathers..... he just didn't have any idea how important his book was...

Well, George King is so much like Spiller in this regard it is just very, very remarkable - birds of a "Feather" so to speak.

Jim Beilke
03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
I just ordered George King's book. There has been no mention of Ted Lundrigans books on grouse hunting. Hunting the Sun, Grouse and Lesser Gods and A Bird in the Hand. I found them very entertaining. Ted is a Minnesota grouse hunter and writer and was Mike McIntosh go to guy for Minnesota grouse. Ted is also a wooden boat guy so he is in with me. Ted's books were available thru Country Sport press.

Dave Suponski
03-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Jim, I have Ted's books and have enjoyed them tremendously.

Bill Davis
03-07-2011, 06:42 AM
These books are treasures! I've bought a bunch of the limited edition copies for gifts to my grouse crazy friends. George tells me he is almost sold out and there will be no more. I've had several conversations with him and he is the real deal! If you like grouse hunting--this book will fire you up!!