PDA

View Full Version : Trigger Guard removel

Armond Fish
01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
I have a Parker GH Hammerless and I would like to take the trigger guard off so I can see if the stock is the factory original.Can any one explain in simple terms how to remove it?Thanks in advance.

Dean Romig
01-18-2011, 10:05 PM
The very first thing you must do is to get a screwdriver that fits perfectly in the slots of the screw or screws that retain the trigger guard to the stock. The screwdriver blade should fill the entire length and width of the screw slot but the blade must seat fully into the depth of the slot as well. This will help to ensure that the screwdriver blade will not damage the screw slot.
After removing the screws it is not always easy to lift the trigger guard tang from the recess in the wood. It may be necessary to 'thump' the rear of the trigger guard bow forward in order to break it free of any built up oil and grime. Once it is broken free lift it clear of the wood and carefully rotate the guard in a counter-clockwise motion.... it unscrews from the floorplate of the frame. Be careful in doing this as sloppy handling can cause the loose trigger guard to scratch the wood or frame of the gun. You should see the gun's serial number stamped into the recess of the wood.

Jack Cronkhite
01-18-2011, 11:07 PM
The only thing I would add is to spend time with tooth picks to ensure the screw slot is completely clear to ensure a complete fit for the screw driver bit. Use hollow ground tips. Do not use wedge tips, they can burr the head. You only need 1/4 turn to reveal the SN, so you don't have to completely remove the guard.
Jack

Bruce Day
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
xxxx

Armond Fish
01-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks to both of you guys. I just love the helpfulness of all the forum members here on this site.

Jack Cronkhite
01-19-2011, 01:35 AM
When you are finished and re-assemble, also take care. Start the screw with your fingers and run it in as far as you can with finger pressure. Tighten with the screwdriver. When you feel the screw getting tight, the tang should be flush with the wood. As you do the final tightening bring the slot in line with the long axis of the gun (indexing the screw) and stop there
It should look like this (borrowed off the grades tab)

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=85&pictureid=723