PDA

View Full Version : Plantation Snipe

Middleton Rutledge
01-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Plantation snipe hunt with Parker

Larry Frey
01-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Now there's a picture that should be in the Parker of the month contest. Have we started collecting photo's for January?

Jack Cronkhite
01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
+1 !!

David Dwyer
01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Mittleton
Welcome. A great picture that I hope was taken in SC. I usually wait until the end of duck season,12 more days, until I start on the snipe.
David

Middleton Rutledge
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks. I am a new member to this site and it nice to see so many Parker enthusiasts!

Kenny Graft
01-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Thats a awful big gun for them ittle birds....they are woodcock right? snipe the same bird? That is one nice picture....SXS ohio...(-:

David Dwyer
01-20-2011, 08:30 AM
No,they are snipe not woodcock. We have lots of them in the marshes in SC. I believe the limit is 12 and are found in flock of 10-30 birds. Lots of fun as you are slipping and sliding through marsh at low tide jump shooting them.
David

richard lambert
01-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Snipe are about the only wild upland birds we have to hunt here. Love the photo.

Dick

Jack Cronkhite
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Are those the birds nimrods are sent to the marsh to hunt with a gunny sack and box of salt??? :)
Cheers,
Jack

E Robert Fabian
01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Flash light Jack, shine the light into the sack.

Jack Cronkhite
01-21-2011, 04:22 PM
So, I wasted some salt. Nobody mentioned a flashlight. Makes much more sense. I'm pretty sure they could still fly, even with salt on the tail. :)
Cheers,
Jack

richard lambert
01-26-2011, 10:52 AM
No,they are snipe not woodcock. We have lots of them in the marshes in SC. I believe the limit is 12 and are found in flock of 10-30 birds. Lots of fun as you are slipping and sliding through marsh at low tide jump shooting them.
David

David you must be in a fantastic area for snipe, the federal limit is 8 birds. Could you elaborate on the jump shooting of snipe in the marshes in your area? I would like to see if the same could be done where I live.

Dick

Dean Romig
01-26-2011, 11:55 AM
"Here snipe.... Here snipe.... "

richard lambert
01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
"Here snipe.... Here snipe.... "

:banghead:

calvin humburg
01-26-2011, 09:50 PM
We'll go flush some to ya and be back to get ya in about 15 minutes!:)

Dean Romig
01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Are dogs ever used for snipe or they just "walked up"?

Jack Cronkhite
01-26-2011, 10:09 PM
When they are "wok" ed up they are very tasty

richard lambert
01-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Dogs are used for snipe. It depends on the type of cover if a bird dog can be used. Retrievers can be used in all cases.

Dick

Destry L. Hoffard
01-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Mr. Rutledge,

Nice work on the snipe, good shooting for certain. I've always said that the snipe was the hardest to hit of any American gamebird.

Boys,

If you want to learn about snipe shooting with and without dogs pick up a reprint of Twenty Years Snipe Shooting by J.J. Pringle. The original is the rarest of all American sporting books, I've never physically seen a copy.

Destry

richard lambert
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks David.

James Brown
01-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Mr. Rutledge,

Nice work on the snipe, good shooting for certain. I've always said that the snipe was the hardest to hit of any American gamebird.

Boys,

If you want to learn about snipe shooting with and without dogs pick up a reprint of Twenty Years Snipe Shooting by J.J. Pringle. The original is the rarest of all American sporting books, I've never physically seen a copy.

Destry

A first edition is listed for sale at Andre Strong Bookseller in Blue Hill, Maine for $2800.00.
James

Destry L. Hoffard
01-28-2011, 05:09 PM
If anybody every thought they wanted one, that would be the one to buy. I've never heard of a copy for sale and I follow that sort of thing.

Destry

Eric Eis
01-28-2011, 05:11 PM
A first edition is listed for sale at Andre Strong Bookseller in Blue Hill, Maine for $2800.00.
James

I think I may pass on that :shock: When I get into that area of a nice Parker or a book, guess what....:eek: and I don't care how nice that book is ! Anyway Destry will fill me in with the details of the book. Eric

Robert Rambler
01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
There's a nice article on J.J. Pringles guns in the Winter 2010 edition of the DGJ. A picture of his Stephen Grant 12bore and the book "Twenty Years Snipe Hunting" on page 71.

E Robert Fabian
01-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Check out this site Snipe Hunters . Com
Never been snipe hunting..... don't think I have ever ran across one. We have a 8 bird limit here in NH

http://www.thesnipehunter.com/page3.html

Gerald McPherson
06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
If I am correct the snipe has stripes on the head that are from front to back as the woodcock his run across the head. I have looked at every woodcock I have killed to check and never found a snipe. Here they are called Wilson's Snipe.Gerald

Brent Francis
06-09-2011, 10:20 AM
When I was a kid growing up in northern Indiana we would hunt snipe in the duck marsh when the ducks werent flying they are a tough shotgun target since they never fly straight. however the shots were more open than woodcock hunting. I Never did find a way to cook them so that they tasted good so I pretty much leave them alone now

Gary Carmichael Sr
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
David, Are snipe the same thing as "marsh hens"? Several guys hunt them "marsh hens" here in Southport

David Dwyer
06-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Gary
No,snipe are a smaller, fast flying bird,closer to a woodcock. You need to come down one day next season and shoot some with me. The walking on the broken marsh at low tide is a bitch, but the shooting is worth it. I shoot a little VH 28ga and limit myself to a box of shells but rarely get a limit of birds.
David

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
06-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Jack: Who you calling a nimrod. You try holding a flashlight,a gunny sack,a salt shaker and the wind is blowing and its cold outside. I also would like to mention that i was kinda tired from my dad having me looking all over town for a board stretcher and sky crane. Thomas

Jack Cronkhite
06-15-2011, 12:16 PM
I've been cutting some boards and now need to measure at least 3x before cutting once. So.... some are a bit short. I could use a board stretcher if you can give me a line on where you found yours.
Thanks
Jack

John Dallas
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
I've cut that board three times, and it's still too short

charlie cleveland
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
theres and old man lives east of me that still makes and sells board stretchers....told me he mite trade one or two to you boys for a guided snipe hunt provided yall have a extra sack.... we call them sky cranes a shy hook in these parts...friend of mine that served in world war 2 said his old mess hall sarge sent him after a set of cheese stretchers and told him not to come back till he found them...he came back late that after laying up and resting in another outfits quarters....he said the kp boys were madder heck at him and said it wasnot fit to be repeated what that old sarge said....he said he told that old sarge he had hunted high and low for those cheese stretchers but could not find them told the old sarge he would start early in the morning if it was alright with him.... he said that old sarge bout come unglued...but said for some reason they never would let him go and hunt for those chesse stretchers again.... charlie

John Liles
06-19-2011, 07:34 AM
On my first job in a shipyard when I had just turned 17, the lead man sent me to the tool hut to retrieve a bucket of fresh steam and a wood burning tip for the torch. Also later told me that one of the yard foreman was gay, and that I should never find myself alone with him anywhere in the ship yard. For the next week or so, every time I saw him, he was winking at me and blowing kisses. He was a big Mohiccan, and I had nightmares about that guy. I wouldn't even go into the outhouse for fear he'd follow me in! Obviously it was all a joke, and I reckon if it had been played on someone else and I'd have been in on it, I would have thought it was pretty funny as well. Turned out to be some of the best and talented guys I've ever worked with.
John

John Dunkle
08-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Now there's a picture that should be in the Parker of the month contest. Have we started collecting photo's for January?

:cheers:

Agreed 110%

Try http://parkerguns.org/

And you guys think I don't read these posts :)

And to Mr. H. Middleton Rutledge..??? Congratulations! I set this up early this afternoon, but no one posted - so I figured I would ;)

:bigbye:

John

Dean Romig
08-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Hmmm... I wonder how Mary's takin' that :whistle:

Seriously though, that's a good bag o' snipe with a nice Trojan.

John Dunkle
08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Hmmm... I wonder how Mary's takin' that :whistle:....
Wait until you see Mary's weekly Membership update tomorrow... She is "Rockin' the joint"...

;)

John

Dean Romig
08-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Send it to me early - I'll be on the "Northbound" in time to get bogged down at "The Hamptons" :banghead:

Pete Lester
08-19-2011, 05:30 AM
A beautiful picture and a very nice gun.

I could not help but notice yet another Trojan on the cover page. That is a great invitation to new people that they are welcome no matter what grade gun they own and shoot. I haven't counted but when the Parker of the month photos started to grace the cover page, Trojans and VH's seemed to dominate the pictures. I summise the lower grades are still seeing more use in the field than the high grade guns resulting in more outdoor game scene pictures with them that we so enjoy.

Long live the knockabouts, they are the game getters of the PGCA!

Just my .02

Dave Suponski
08-19-2011, 07:10 AM
Very well said Pete....:bowdown:

John Marscher
10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
We burn for them and then flush them up, about time to burn again this year!

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/marscherj1/DSC03329.jpg

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt176/marscherj1/DSC07287.jpg

Destry L. Hoffard
10-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Nothing like snipe shooting, I perform poorly on them but love it none the less.

DLH

Francis Morin
10-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks. I am a new member to this site and it nice to see so many Parker enthusiasts! Welcome, Suh! Are you by any chance related to Archibald Rutledge? Nice photos, and great to see a fine Parker posed in the proper perspective- with game birds, and with the gun unbreeched- tells me you are most likely a good game shot, but more important, a safe gun handler too!:bigbye: