PDA

View Full Version : New Llewellin Setter

Tom Jay
03-17-2021, 02:24 PM
Being a 4th generation Llewellin setter owner (going back to the 1880's) I still get excited when acquiring another. Late April/early May I'll be taking ownership of Lucy, a 7 month old female Llewellin with strong field trial pedigrees. She'll be run in AFTCA and US Complete Region 1 field trials, wild and liberated birds in New England. And of course she'll be hunted alongside my current 5 year old Llewellin, Max. Not to slight Max, should also say he's had a few field trial placements himself and is a great bird finder wild or liberated. May have to think about acquiring another Parker to celebrate.

Garry L Gordon
03-17-2021, 03:20 PM
Every new dog, especially such a beauty, needs to have a "new" Parker to go with it. Have fun with your new pup.

Dean Romig
03-17-2021, 04:05 PM
And your new Parker.

Max holds his tail just right for a Llewellin. nice!

Larry Frey
03-17-2021, 06:00 PM
And your new Parker.

Max holds his tail just right for a Llewellin. nice!

I believe that point belongs to Lucy.

Dean Romig
03-17-2021, 06:24 PM
I stand corrected. It looked older than 7 months.

Tom Jay
03-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Dean, two photos of Max on point, first is what I consider to be traditional Llewellin straight out tail set and the second is when he gets low in a real old school crouch set with tail straight out and almost crawls while locking up the bird. Lucy's high tail set for a Llewellin is less common for this breed but becoming more popular for "style points" which field trial judges like to see nowadays and was my purpose in picking this dog's pedigrees this time. Regardless of what setter you choose, Llewellin, Ryman, Old Hemlock or even a field setter...there's nothing better than a Setter.

Dave Noreen
03-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Beautiful dog. Congrats.

My late friend Skitso pointed with the high tail until the fall she was 13 when she began pointing as on most of our vintage doubles.

Dean Romig
03-19-2021, 09:55 AM
The old-school low tail on setters from the earliest days of hunting them was due to the hunters' preference when they would come up from behind the setting (crouching) dog and toss a big net over the birds. A high tail would be an obstruction to the net.

And I understand the high "stylish" set of a setter's tail these days.

Dave Noreen
03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
xxx

bob lyons
03-19-2021, 08:25 PM
Great looking dog I see that you are from mass. Any recommendations for a local breeder ?

Tom Jay
03-19-2021, 09:33 PM
Bob, I don’t know the New England local breeders. Max came from IL (Caren Mansfield/JD Waters) and their breeding has been focused on close working grouse/woodcock dogs. The new pup is coming out of IN (Byron Sanders) who is breeding for field trials and upland hunting dogs. There are only a few other Llewellin breeders I would get a dog from including Dashwood (TX) and Paint River (MI). The four I mention here have very defined breeding programs and are very involved with UC Davis’s Llewellin genetic diversity program that helps them breed the right dogs. Check out the various Llewellin FB groups where you may find a breeder you like.

John Dallas
03-20-2021, 11:12 AM
For a number of years I was involved with Field Trial Springers. If we wanted to get a setter owner riled up, we would tell him that setters were the peasants' dogs - used to poach birds by pointing them and then netting them. Springers were the royalty's dogs - flushing game to be shot

bob lyons
03-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Thanks
We are trying to decide between a English pointer or a Setter.
I have had both and it is tough decision. I really want to visit the breeder and see the parents and other offspring.
On the funny side the best hunting dog I ever had was a springer not because of the breed but due to the fact that from 8 weeks old he was my constant companion and we hunted starting in October in mass and maine ending in February for 10 years. Then family and work took center stage.

William Woods
10-12-2021, 04:02 PM
Bob, I don’t know the New England local breeders. Max came from IL (Caren Mansfield/JD Waters) and their breeding has been focused on close working grouse/woodcock dogs. The new pup is coming out of IN (Byron Sanders) who is breeding for field trials and upland hunting dogs. There are only a few other Llewellin breeders I would get a dog from including Dashwood (TX) and Paint River (MI). The four I mention here have very defined breeding programs and are very involved with UC Davis’s Llewellin genetic diversity program that helps them breed the right dogs. Check out the various Llewellin FB groups where you may find a breeder you like.

Byron Sanders is a good guy, I bought my Parker Repo 28 GA. from him many years ago. I can say the same for his hunting partner and trainer Richie Dixon and his son. Richie is located in Mt. Vernon, IN.

bob lyons
10-13-2021, 07:19 PM
Thanks

Ed Norman
10-14-2021, 09:06 PM
your dog is stunning!!!

Mike Koneski
10-15-2021, 11:00 AM
Dean, two photos of Max on point, first is what I consider to be traditional Llewellin straight out tail set and the second is when he gets low in a real old school crouch set with tail straight out and almost crawls while locking up the bird. Lucy's high tail set for a Llewellin is less common for this breed but becoming more popular for "style points" which field trial judges like to see nowadays and was my purpose in picking this dog's pedigrees this time. Regardless of what setter you choose, Llewellin, Ryman, Old Hemlock or even a field setter...there's nothing better than a Setter.

Nice photos!! All four of our Setters point with the classic "flat tail" too. As you said, nothing better than an English Setter!! :)