PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of floor plates

Dean Romig
03-15-2021, 10:24 AM
While perusing a 2004 Bonham’s auction catalog I came across this engraved floor plate. Now that’s something we don’t see every day! AAHE Ser. No. 88660 with Whitworth barrels.

Gerald McPherson
03-15-2021, 11:08 AM
Dean that's a game scene.

Garry L Gordon
03-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Don't know where the engraver took his anatomy or figure drawing class, but that is an unique gun for sure.

Dean Romig
03-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Don't know where the engraver took his anatomy or figure drawing class, but that is an unique gun for sure.

Most engravers never took an anatomy course in their lives... and some of their dogs are good examples,

David Noble
03-15-2021, 03:58 PM

Hey, the guy is shooting his custom order Parker with 8" drop at heel.
Nothing wrong with the engraver! :rotf:

Garry L Gordon
03-15-2021, 04:09 PM
Most engravers never took an anatomy course in their lives... and some of their dogs are good examples,

That they never had an anatomy course was very clear. I still find their art wonderful artifacts from a now gone era. The charm of their drawing, whether of anatomically incorrect humans, out-of-proportioned dogs, or flying turnips, is as period specific as any work from artisans of any period.

Dean Romig
03-15-2021, 04:15 PM
I agree Garry and the engraving of these old guns is probably the one thing I like most about them... but everything else runs a very close second.

Mike Koneski
03-17-2021, 11:28 AM
Very interesting and creative engraving on that trigger plate! Didn't see any flying turnips or head up or down stoat though. :whistle:

John Davis
03-17-2021, 12:02 PM
A little different style of floor plate engraving.

Dean Romig
03-17-2021, 12:26 PM
Nice John - Is that a SA or a SB?

John Davis
03-17-2021, 02:07 PM
It’s a SA

Frank Srebro
03-18-2021, 06:57 AM
Just a question after an earlier thread wherein someone was whipped with a wet noodle after using the wrong word. I read posts here with "floor plate" to denote what is generally referred to as "trigger plate" by other makers. Seems like floor plate is proper for bolt action rifles and trigger plate for double shotguns. So, is floor plate being used properly as per Parker factory terminology?

Brian Dudley
03-18-2021, 07:02 AM
That is an excellent question Frank. Let defer to the whipper for the answer.

Dean Romig
03-18-2021, 08:04 AM
I use both terms. I tend to use 'trigger plate' for hammer guns and 'floor plate' for hammerless guns, but I am no authority and I really don’t know what the correct all-inclusive terminology is for sxs guns.

Mike Koneski
03-18-2021, 10:24 AM
Looks like we just may have an upcoming "skinny". BTW, Brian, no whipping, just a gentle nudge. :)

Randy G Roberts
03-18-2021, 10:31 AM
In a 1956 Remington folder on Parker parts it is referred to as a trigger plate. This is very similar to the parts illustration that can be seen from the home page under technical information but I do not believe it to be the same which refers to it as a trigger plate as well.

Then there is the definition of Floorplate as taken from Hallowells Firearm dictionary as follows: "Floorplate - A cover, usually of metal, usually hinged and latched, on the bottom of a bolt action rifle action which, when opened, allows the internal magazine to be emptied." :corn::corn:

John Davis
03-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Trigger plate it is. I’m 0 for 2.

Dean Romig
03-18-2021, 12:59 PM
Whatever we call it, we all know what part of the gun it is.

Woodcock / timberdoodles / bog-suckers / bug-eye / "little russet fellers" / mudbats.....

Shotgun / fowling piece / scattergun / side-by-side / over-under....

Ruffed grouse / "The King" / partridge / pa'tridge / pattiges / pat'idge / pats / thunder chickens...

We know what all of those terms mean.

Reggie Bishop
03-18-2021, 01:35 PM
Yeah the "King" is the bobwhite quail right?

:bigbye: