PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hammer Gun # 32762 Shell size

John Feldes
01-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Hello,

Just joined the forum last night. Wanted to double check myself on shell size for my hammer gun. Last time I shot it I was using Gamebore Blackpowder 2 1/2" shells, #7. Really enjoyed the experience. Blackpowder shells are bit bit hard to come by. I will probably start loading my own soon. Does the shell size seem right?

The gun is a grade 1 with a number 2 frame, based on your charts. Not very fancy, but in nice condition for her age. Some light pitting in the barrels and around the breech. Very little color left, found on the fore end. unfortunately, the dealer I bought it from had the barrels re-browned in a manner that doesn't seem true to the original method. I really enjoy the shotgun and am very satisfied with her appearance and performance.

Thank you,

John

E Robert Fabian
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Welcome John I assume it's a 12 ga. , I shoot hundreds of 2 3/4" 7/8 oz. loads out of my O grade. AA hull American Select powder clay buster wad around 5500 PSI.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

John Feldes
01-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes, you're right. It's a 12 GA. Thanks for the quick response.

E Robert Fabian
01-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Post a few pictures John, and check out the other threads on selecting loads... checking gun condition.
Bob

John Feldes
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Hi Bob,

I'd love to post a few pictures but I can't seem to get them to upload. There must be a trick I'm missing. I'll work on it and hopefully post some soon.

Thanks,

John

calvin humburg
01-15-2011, 07:11 AM
John you probably need to resize your pictures. 1024 by 768 is the size you need to be for them to download. ch

John Feldes
01-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Thank you. So, I resized and here they are...

Eric Eis
01-15-2011, 05:59 PM
John how long are those barrels, they look long in the photo maybe just the angle you took the photo. If the gun is in good shape and you have been shooting BP loads, you could use RST or New Era low pressure shells in your gun (alot easier cleanup). Eric

John Feldes
01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi Eric,

Barrels are 32". I have shot it a few times, although I haven't had an opportunity recently due to a relocation. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into this.

I've really been enjoying this forum. Looking around quite a bit. I have noticed a couple of things about my gun that seems to differ from what I'm seeing here. First is the top lever. Mine is straight, but it seems as though the fishtail lever is more common. Second, the rib on the barrel where Parker Bros. etc., is written, and where it should say "Laminated Steel", there is nothing. It simply says "Parker Bros Makers, Meriden Conn", and it is smooth. There are very fine engravings that seem to match the rest of the gun however.

All parts that break down have the same serial number, and everything else appears to be where it should be. should I be concerned?

John

Dave Purnell
01-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Hi John,

I don't see any reason to be concerned. A lot of hammer guns have a straight lever. The fishtail is probably more unique. I've often wondered how many Parkers are lacking the barrel steel engraving on the rib. My Grade 1 with Dam-1 barrels has no barrel steel engraving on the rib, either. As Parker Bro did many things most of the time, the saying is never say never. It's what makes studying and collecting Parker guns so much fun.

Dave

John Feldes
01-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks Dave. Beautiful barrels!

Dave Purnell
01-17-2011, 06:38 AM
John, This gun is much like yours, Grade 1, straight lever, 30" barrels that I had re-finished by Dale Edmonds. It has a striking damascus pattern. I wish the frame was in as good a shape as the barrels. The frame has some pitting at the hinge pin and the bolsters. Oh well, the wood, screws, and checking all look good.

Dave