PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the receiver

Richard Sheldon
01-11-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a 1908 vh stock/receiver that have been sitting for at least 60 years with nothing done to it. allways in dry storage. It has some light surface rust but nothing bad. what should i use to clean it up without leaving scraches. thanks.

charlie cleveland
01-12-2011, 12:48 PM
try a little gun oil and a soft cotton rag first..then after that let set a day or two repeat process...hope some one else jumps in here and helps us.... charlie

Mark Landskov
01-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I use bronze wool, brass-bristled toothbrushes and a piece of brass stock to remove rust. Hoppe's gun oil and #9 solvent help the rust removal process. The aforementioned items allow you to aggressively attack rust without damaging the natural aged patina and/or remaining finish, be it bluing or case colors. Good luck!

Richard Sheldon
01-13-2011, 08:44 AM
thank you

Chuck Heald
01-18-2011, 01:13 AM
I've used 000 and 0000 steel wool and oil. You can scrubb vigorously without worry. I've also used bronze wool for this as well. I liked the steel wool slightly better. Be advised that both of these will leave any natural rust blue behind from whatever rust you have. That may only be a very slight discoloration.

Austin W Hogan
01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
If you have access to an ultra sonic tank. it is the best bet. It will remove all the grime, wax and oxidized oil that may appear to be rust. Once the grime is removed, rust that has not progressed to pits will often wipe of with Hoppes and a rag. Small dark spots will often come off with a few strokes of a file card.

Best, Austin

Jeff Bonadurer
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Richard,

I have had good success with Aerokroil and terry clothe and some
elbow grease and lots of patience.

0000 steel wool with oil for a lube works well too. But be very careful..!

Best regards,

Jeff