PDA

View Full Version : Hold them dear, for they own our hearts.

Jon Sheets
02-05-2021, 08:10 AM
I had to say goodbye to my best friend and hunting partner yesterday. These last two weeks have been a learning experience.

First I learned what Hemangiosarcoma was. Then I learned the tumor was on her heart. (The same heart that beat in step with mine for the last 12 years.) Then I had to learn what a MF'er hermangiosarcoma is, and how it silently moves in to destroy all future hopes and dreams.

Fortunately for Abby, it's not painful. The pain is left for me to bear. She remained the stoic English Lady she was to the very end. Now she is running free, unwinded, on strong steady legs, and I am left to pick up the pieces of my shattered life.

We all carry on, but the hole left inside grows ever bigger, and the burden of loss weighs heavy. So while we have them (and them us), hold them dear for they own our hearts.

Dean Romig
02-05-2021, 09:33 AM
My heart and thoughts goes out to you Jon. A real tragedy for certain... I can't even imagine.

How old was she?

What a pretty girl! She'll be forever in your memories - cherish them.

So sorry...

Garth Gustafson
02-05-2021, 09:38 AM
I’m so sorry Jon. It tears our hearts out when we lose our beloved dogs. But if it’s any consolation, Abby will be wagging her tail and waiting by the door for you when it’s time to join her.

Jon Sheets
02-05-2021, 09:43 AM
Thank you Dean. Abby would have been 12 on Valentines Day.
What adds to the tragedy is, except for the tumor, she was in incredible physical condition for a setter her age.
We still have Annie Oakley, who is also mourning the loss of her best friend and hunting partner. We plan to breed AO next heat.

Garry L Gordon
02-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Jon, it's hard to know what to say at times like this. There are many of us who feel your pain of loss and your story brings back our own sad memories. Just know that what you had with Abby will never leave you. As you wrote, she will be running free and easy, and in my belief, she will be waiting for you to hunt with you again some day.

I hope you find peace.

Dean Romig
02-05-2021, 09:46 AM
Way to go Jon!

New pups will certainly keep you busy and take away the raw pain.

Andrew Sacco
02-05-2021, 09:59 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss Jon. Andy

Jay Gardner
02-05-2021, 10:02 AM
Dogs will guarantee you two things: unfettered devotion and in the end, a broken heart.

Sorry for your loss,

Jay

Jon Sheets
02-05-2021, 10:33 AM
Thank you everyone.
Especially to Annie Oakley for being the strong one right now.

Chuck Bishop
02-05-2021, 10:43 AM
Wonderful dog Jon. Sorry for your loss.

Rich Anderson
02-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Jon so sorry to hear of your loos for they are indeed family. We sign up for this heartache every time we bring a dog into the family. They give so much and ask for so little. Rest assured she will live in your heart forever.

Bruce Hering
02-05-2021, 05:54 PM
Jon:

Words can not express the feeling of losing a canine hunting partner. I, as have many here I am sure, suffered the God awful feeling in the loss of a fine bird dog. There is a hole in your soul right now but.... your fond memories will keep her with you.

Best sympathetic wishes to you

Robert Rambler
02-05-2021, 06:05 PM
Jon, So sorry for your lose. Many of us here have had to endure this part of life. She is gone in body but will be forever in your heart and memory.

Scott Janowski
02-05-2021, 08:28 PM
So sorry for your loss.

chris dawe
02-06-2021, 07:40 AM
so sorry to hear of your pups passing

Bill Murphy
02-06-2021, 09:43 AM
It's been more than a couple years since we lost our wonderful and talented Wirehair, Eva. Her condition was not diagnosed, but her chest cavity was filled with blood. She was stoic to the end and I find I can't live without a new friend. Unfortunately, I haven't found her yet.

Ed Norman
02-06-2021, 10:05 AM
Jon,
I am very sorry for your loss, every time I read a thread like this in here, it makes me stop and realize how very lucky my wife and I have been to have our 3 dogs in our life. I am sure some day you two will be together hunting again.

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-06-2021, 11:52 AM
Jon, She is waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge! Gary

Robert Bork
02-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Very touching, my Koko and Gracie are waiting for me on the bank of a river to show up and walk with them into eternity...

Jon Sheets
02-08-2021, 03:13 PM
Very touching, my Koko and Gracie are waiting for me on the bank of a river to show up and walk with them into eternity...

Thank you Bob. Your post reminds me of the Prentice Ritter quote in Broken Trail; "We are all travelers in this world - from the sweet grass to the packin' house - birth till death - we travel between the eternities."

I know my Abby will be there to greet me.
Jon

Mike Poindexter
02-09-2021, 12:32 PM
Sorry for your loss. Lost my Golden a year ago. Still hurts, but I smile more at memories now than mourn. They will always be there. Best.

todd allen
02-10-2021, 10:22 PM
Jon, I am not able to put into words how hard losing a treasured dog is for me, so I understand exactly what you are going through.
It is never easy.
She would want you to be looking at puppies now, because an old dog knows the pack must go on.

CraigThompson
02-13-2021, 09:09 PM
Sorry for your loss .