PDA

View Full Version : Question on Reblue of Ithaca NID with Ivory Beads

Joseph Sheerin
01-29-2021, 03:38 PM
So, I have an Ithaca Gr II 16ga NID that has dual Ivory Beads.

The bluing where the gun has been held over the years is quite thin.

I am having a local gunsmith repair the trigger guard, but he did not feel comfortable rust bluing the barrels with the Ivory beads.

I am flip flopping on even having it done, as the barrels have a nice patina to them, and I just will have to make sure I don't let them sit if they get wet.

But... If when I get the gun back, and I decide to so more of a full restore of it, who would you guys recommend as a good gunsmith to do this. Is it possible to have done, withouth damaging the ivory beads, if it's not, that's a deal breaker as I'd rather keep the ivory beads, and the thin bluing.

Also, about how long a turnaround are people seeing for this sort of work. I assume I could just ship the barrels...

Joseph Sheerin
01-29-2021, 03:41 PM
Barrels with bluing loss visible.

Joseph Sheerin
01-29-2021, 04:19 PM
BTW, I apologize if I put this in wrong forum... I originally read it as Damascus barrels and Steel as in Steel barrels.

chris dawe
01-30-2021, 07:57 AM
I've done lots of barrels with ivory beads with no issue -you shouldn't have any issue

keavin nelson
01-30-2021, 08:07 AM
I have done barrels with ivory beads, just have to take care when carding them off around the beads. I do it by hand, and not a wire wheel.

Brian Dudley
01-30-2021, 04:00 PM
For the most part they make it through the rust bluing process just fine. They will usually darken some and discolor a little. And mid beads can be delicate and are easy to break off if care is not taken.

Joseph Sheerin
02-01-2021, 11:27 AM
Thanks for input guys, I'm leaning on having it done, but if it meant losing the ivory beads I wouldn't even consider it.

Thanks again!

Tom Flanigan
02-05-2021, 09:57 AM
I've done many barrels with ivory beads. As Brian stated they will discolor a bit and darken to a yellowish color. I don't find this a problem on vintage guns as it looks like the patina of age.