PDA

View Full Version : 1891 Data

Robert Rambler
01-09-2011, 02:17 PM
In the past there have been discussions about loads used to pattern Parkers at the factory. Questions often remain about the brand of shot and pellet counts of the loads. Found this in an 1891 Forest and Stream publication.Some of it may have been posted previously? Hope it is of use to some and of interest to others. :)

Frank Cronin
01-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Great information... thanks!

charlie cleveland
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
gonna recopy this and put it in my files..truly a good general rule of thumb rules... thanks charlie

Bill Murphy
01-09-2011, 04:53 PM
The last chart, (#67) is very useful. However, Parker patterned guns with different sizes and weights of shot, at different ranges, at different size targets, in different eras. Often our researcher does not have all of this information at his disposal. Consequently, we can't always determine the nominal degree of choke from the information available.

Pete Lester
01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
As a long time waterfowler I find it interesting to see their recommendations for geese and brant vs. ducks. Shot size was increased to #1 from #7 and #5 (to be expected) but the payload was decreased. In 10ga it goes from 1 1/4 to 1 1/8 ounce and in 12ga from 1 1/8 to 1 ounce. It appears to me the thinking here is more velocity was needed for geese in spite of a larger pellet being used and shot weight was reduced to make room for more drams of black powder.

I find it odd to see a greater shot weight being used for teal vs geese regardless of shot size.

I have found a heavier payload of large pellets is more useful for geese. The larger pellets have more inertia and don't shed velocity as fast. I'd rather hit them with one or two more pellets started at a slower velocity then give up pellets to gain velocity.

charlie cleveland
01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
very interesting data on factory loads for game...i have watched factory data change info every 20 years or so.... have noticed some factory info say to shoot buckshot you need clyinder bore to have a good pattern other factory info says to use full choke for buckshot...i have patterned lots of buckshot loads over the years and the full choke always gave better patterns for me in any brand of gun...well got a new snow on the ground which is rare for us in miss..gonna just go hunting what ever gets up will be fair game...taking a blue tick hound a jack russel and 4 curs...should just about cover all the bases.... charlie